Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is anyone else having slow responses and fatal errors while using TORn?

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2009, 6:23pm

Post #1 of 25 (502 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else having slow responses and fatal errors while using TORn? Can't Post

For the past few days I've been getting the weirdest lags while clicking around the message boards, and occasionally a scary-looking "fatal error" message in DOS-style lingo. At one point a day or two ago I couldn't get onto TORn at all. My browser, Firefox 3.0.11, still has the usual speedy performance on other sites and message boards.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2009, 6:38pm

Post #2 of 25 (307 views)
Shortcut
me too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 20 2009, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 25 (299 views)
Shortcut
Same here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for July

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 20 2009, 7:10pm

Post #4 of 25 (321 views)
Shortcut
You mean things like "Freshrow Hashref"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought maybe that was my new nickname :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2009, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 25 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yep, [In reply to] Can't Post

and still getting them this morning.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Jul 20 2009, 7:45pm

Post #6 of 25 (308 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the slow-down was just another AOL glitch (yes, I'm still with AOL Blush ). I'm so glad to find out that it's more than that, even if it is a royal pain in the .... neck. Wink

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2009, 7:45pm

Post #7 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
I just visited Feedback to report this [In reply to] Can't Post

It's happened twice to me in the past couple of days, and only with ToRN, everything else seems to be working just fine.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2009, 8:14pm

Post #8 of 25 (294 views)
Shortcut
Yes - a lot of "Can not connect to database". // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2009, 8:23pm

Post #9 of 25 (298 views)
Shortcut
That's because all your base are belong to us // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 20 2009, 8:25pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 20 2009, 8:39pm

Post #10 of 25 (321 views)
Shortcut
yes, I just had a fatal error [In reply to] Can't Post

fortunately there is apparently life after death in the internet realm.

Cool

Still using IE 7 on this old-about-to-die 2002 desktop, so I don't think it matters what browser.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 20 2009, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 25 (288 views)
Shortcut
Ha! You have no chance to survive. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2009, 8:58pm

Post #12 of 25 (314 views)
Shortcut
"Toro-kate atama madorimi adanune hai soma." [In reply to] Can't Post

The original Japanese translation of The Return of the King, first published in 1961, and in print thereafter, has influenced generations of young Japanese fantasy fans. In the chapter "The Black Gate Opens", the Mouth of Sauron dictates surrender terms to the ambassadors of the West:

"All lands east of Anduin shall be Sauron’s for ever, solely."

This is given in translation as:

"Toroka atamaki madore Anadune hai Soranei, kirime."

Which Tolkien, by the way, objected to. Japanese emphasizes formality and hierarchy, and the rough retranslation is:

"All your lands east of Anduin belong to Sauron, we must insist."

When Toaplan's writers wrote the Zero Wing video game, they inserted an inside joke, kind of a Japanese fantasy-geek reference that any reader of the Tolkien series got immediately:

"Toro-kate atama madorimi adanune hai soma."

This is, roughly:

"All your bases belong to us, now!"

Notice how they dropped the polite (and inappropriate, according to Tolkien) kirime, which is a forceful but still polite "please."

This, in a bad translation into English for the American release, became the infamous

"All your base are belong to us."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2009, 9:17pm

Post #13 of 25 (286 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2009, 9:19pm

Post #14 of 25 (314 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating Tolkien connection! [In reply to] Can't Post

But now I have an image of the Mouth of Sauron sitting at a negotiation table with Gandalf and Aragorn, the three of them sipping tea and munching tea-cakes...

The cakes, of course, are a lie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2009, 9:23pm

Post #15 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting this as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

on both a version on Firefox and IE.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2009, 9:40pm

Post #16 of 25 (338 views)
Shortcut
As is the rest. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arigato.

squire online:

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 21 2009, 2:37am

Post #17 of 25 (377 views)
Shortcut
Thank you everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a 'fatal error' myself the other day.

I passed the word, and a link to this thread, on to Corvar. In a quirky kind of way, it's useful when multiple people report the same problem because then we know 1) it's not an isolated incident and, 2) the issue is probably on TORn's end as opposed to the user's end. Um, so to speak. Laugh

Anyway, thanks to all of you. Frown

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 21 2009, 4:35pm

Post #18 of 25 (286 views)
Shortcut
A reminder: Screenshots help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Often, it'll help us (or Corvar, when it's back-end stuff) track down a problem if we can see what you actually got. taking a screen-capture and including it either here or in a PM is going to be helpful.

Otherwise it can be a case of taking your car to the mechanic and saying "well, it works fine now, but it was making this rrrrRRrRRrrRR noise earlier that it doesn't usually make. What is that?" ;)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 21 2009, 5:36pm

Post #19 of 25 (277 views)
Shortcut
so:how does one take a screenshot? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure this was covered in computer 101. Unfortunately, I audited that class.

Tongue

Say I wanted to save a screenshot and send it to Torn, how would I do that on a PC with an American keyboard?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 21 2009, 7:49pm

Post #20 of 25 (363 views)
Shortcut
How to PM a screen shot. [In reply to] Can't Post

To send a screen shot.

1. Get the monitor to show exactly the screen you want. Scroll, etc. to get it right.
  2. Holding down the Control key (Ctrl button, lower left on keyboard), hit the "Print Screen" button (keyboard upper right). This "copies" an image file of your monitor to the Clipboard.
  3. Open WORD or similar program.
  4. Hit Paste. The image file should appear in the middle of the page. See below for what it should look like.
  5. Save the document as a .doc file (not a .docx if you have WORD 07), named something meaningful like "ScreenshotOfBigScaryHorribleProblemImHavingOnTORn.doc"
  6. Go to the Private Messages section of the TORn boards.
  7. Start a new Message. Use the Browse button at the bottom left to find the file you just saved in your hard drive directories. Hit Attach. Now the file is attached to your PM, just like an email.
  8. Send the PM to someone important, like Altaira, with a cover message like "Here is a screen shot of the big scary horrible problem I'm having on TORn. Thanks."
  9. Retire to a comfy couch in a dark quiet room and apply cold compresses as necessary.
Here is what a typical screen shot looks like:

(This has been reduced from 1072 to 600 pixels, but pasting it into a WORD document will do something similar to make it fit onto a page)

squire online:

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 12:42pm

Post #21 of 25 (338 views)
Shortcut
It's not a screenshot, but [In reply to] Can't Post

here's the text of the error I'm getting, using IE 7:

“A fatal error has occurred:

Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" on an undefined value at /www01/newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/admin/GForum/Post/View.pm line 308.
Please enable debugging in setup for more details.”

*shakes fist* Hey, I’ll call the method whatever the heck I want. If I want to call the method “fetchrow_hashref” that’s my own d*mn business.

;o)

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 23 2009, 2:15am

Post #22 of 25 (298 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I passed that on to Corvar. Inferno is right, it does help. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 23 2009, 10:53pm

Post #23 of 25 (248 views)
Shortcut
THANK you. And may I say [In reply to] Can't Post

you know EVERYTHING!!!

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2009, 1:33am

Post #24 of 25 (364 views)
Shortcut
Tweaking has occurred [In reply to] Can't Post

Corvar let me know he did some tweaking, so hopefully it's history.

If not, definitely post about it here, and thanks again everyone. Smile

TORn Calendar

TolkienJackson
Bree

Jul 29 2009, 11:53am

Post #25 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
Not only on TORN am I getting them... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But also on the sister site KongisKing.net(KIKN).

They've gone down a bit for me though, now...thankfully.Unsure

King Kong and Tolkien - My, PJ has good taste!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.