Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Angela's Ashes" author Frank McCourt has died...

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2009, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 4 (165 views)
Shortcut
"Angela's Ashes" author Frank McCourt has died... Can't Post

The best-selling author of "Angela's Ashes" died on Sunday of metastatic melanoma. He was 78.

God Bless. God Keep.

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 20 2009, 9:40pm

Post #2 of 4 (85 views)
Shortcut
Some of my favorite readings were his audiobooks [In reply to] Can't Post

I read Angela's Ashes, but heard the audiobooks of both 'Tis and Teacher Man, which he read himself. I just loved his accent. I just loved hearing him use turns of phrases that my own dad (who was first generation and had no accent at all, although he could do it at the drop of a hat!) used when I was growing up.

I liked 'Tis the best of the three, not sure why. Most people liked Angela's Ashes best, but I don't know...I had a soft spot for the young man who talked his way into college!

I understand some in Limerick did not care much for his memoirs, saying he made up some of them and overstated his family's poverty, etc. But for many of us who still identify ourselves as Irish-American--even though our roots are far from the old country and we are several generations removed from the immigrants who started our families here--he was a bridge back to things our parents and grandparents used to talk about.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2009, 11:49pm

Post #3 of 4 (97 views)
Shortcut
a couple of lines by Frank McCourt [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sitting up in the bed with my knees pulled to my chest and there are tears that won't come to my eyes but beat instead like a small sea around my heart.
For once, Mam, my bladder is not near my eye and why isn't it?

Dwana
The Shire

Jul 21 2009, 6:29am

Post #4 of 4 (114 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry to hear that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually just lurk, but he was one of my favorite authors. I stumbled across Angela's Ashes in the college bookstore and bought it because it looked interesting. I have since bought and given away many copies to friends. I have all of his books and several of Malachy's. He was quite an inspiration.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.