The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
3 Ages of Melkors Chaining

Stuffe
The Shire

Jul 12 2009, 11:34am

Post #1 of 3 (401 views)
Shortcut
3 Ages of Melkors Chaining Can't Post

I'm struggling to understand what defined the ages during with Melkor was chained - other than the confusion with the more common naming of the ages (eg 3rd age - WOTR) etc I have seen references to other ages - the Age of the Lamps, of the Trees etc, but none of these fit, being before or after the chaning.

Can anyone clarify this matter?

Cheers!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jul 15 2009, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 3 (267 views)
Shortcut
Ages & Ages [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ages are - ugh, I hate this HoME stuff.....

An Age of the Two Trees was 9 .something years of the years of the sun, perhaps 9.6.....

I guess I can try to find the place in HoME where it is exactly laid out......

Hold on.

OK here it is:

One Valinorian Year = 9.58 Years of the Sun

Here is the complete breakdown:

1 hour of the trees= 7 hours our time

1 day of the trees = 84 hours our time

1 year of the trees = 84,000 hours our time

There are (365.25 x 24) 8766 hours in a sun year anbd thus:
1 year of the trees = (84,000/8766) 9.582 Sun Years

So, it is also stated that an Age in Valinor wqas 100 Valinorean Years. Therefore, each Age Melkor was chained was 958 years of our sun.....

Roughly (counting the .2 carried over each year) 2876.5 years of the sun in chains that Melkor was held.

As far as there being 'official' names for any Ages prior to the First Age as we know it when the returning Noldor,,Sindar & Edain battled Morgoth in Beleriand and were defeated but delivered at the hand of the Host of the West at the prayer of Earendil the Blessed, there is nothing 'officially' like 'The Age of the Lamps' or 'The Two Trees'.....

Also, from this very footnote (#17, page 57-58, HoME Volume 10):

'It hath been computed by the Masters of Lore that the Valar came into the Kingdom of Arda, which is the Earth, five and forty thousand years of our time ere the first rising of the Moon. And of these thirty thousand passed ere the measurement of Time began with the flowering of the Trees. These were the Days before Days. After fifteen thousand years followed after during which the Light of the Trees yet lived, and nigh on 600 years more of the new Sun and the Moon after the slaying of the Trees. And these are called the Elder Days. and with their ending ended the First Age of Time and Melkor was thrust from the World.:

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Stuffe
The Shire

Jul 16 2009, 10:31am

Post #3 of 3 (251 views)
Shortcut
Ahh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So unlike all the other "ages", which relate to events are are not of a fixed length, this one is strictly time based. Cheers!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.