Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD ~July 10, 2009~ All we have to decide...

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Jul 10 2009, 2:20pm

Post #1 of 10 (4085 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~July 10, 2009~ All we have to decide... Can't Post

Last SCOD for the week! Hope everyone enjoyed them! Wink

The first image is Gandalf saying one of my favorite lines in all of the trilogy....
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us..."

And the second, is the empty dwarf city Darrowdelf. The collums are all all very blocky, huge, and ornate, no rounded edges or circular patterns.

1.) What did you think of Sir Ian's/Elijah's performance here? Personally I thought it was fantastic...
2.) "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us..." Why do you suppose Gandalf said that to Frodo? What does it mean?
3.)This is one of the only times we get to see Dwarvish architecture. What do you think?
4.) Now, what did you think about Mr. Shore's score for Moria? Very dark deep tones....

Any other thoughts/comments are always welcome!

El eria e mor
I `lir en el luitha `uren

(A star rises out of the darkness. The song of the star enchants my heart)

~Aníron, Enya

NARF since summer '08 when I wouldn't read anything written by Tolkien because my Mum called it classic literature...

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jul 10 2009, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 10 (3648 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

just one thing to say...

This scene (Gandalf and Frodo) was one of the most beautiful scenes I`ve ever seen. I felt it, I was Frodo understanding what Gandalf was trying to say to me. Here, right here, Gandalf finished becoming my favorite character in the trilogy !! And then all of it over the wonderful music by Mr. Shore, what else can you ask to have your own heart feeling so alive?

Thankyou Tolkien
Thankyou Peter Jackson
Thankyou Sir Ian McKellen
Thankyou Howard Shore

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2009, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 10 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Oh... one of my favourite scenes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely! Frodo's lesson with Gandalf, and Gandalf's chance to share a quiet moment and enjoy Frodo. I have a poster of the two of them sitting here on the rocks talking... and this is one of those scenes I always anticipate and drink in... with a smile. One of the most defining moments of their friendship, imho.

And Dwarrowdelf!!! The Music, Gandalf's Announcement, the Grand Hall to the Great Realm! *goosebumps* Glorious!!!

Thanks so much, .Ithilwen :D You did a fantastic job!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 10 2009, 9:16pm

Post #4 of 10 (3616 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts exactly!

Artanis

Listening: LOTR soundrack
Random Delights: TORN, Facebook (and LOTRo, hopefully, one day..please)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 11 2009, 4:14am

Post #5 of 10 (3609 views)
Shortcut
"The Grey Pillar...that was what they used to call me..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

In looking at your first shot, I thought of how Gandalf, and especially his advice here, is such as source of strength for Frodo...

And then, I looked at your second shot and thought "what great grey pillars"...

And then I thought "pillars of strength..''

And then I wrote my subject line...

Sorry, it's been a long day here...but I did enjoy these nice images -- like others, this scene with Gandalf is one of my all time favorites from the films. Thanks!

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

Jul 11 2009, 8:21am

Post #6 of 10 (3599 views)
Shortcut
That wise and wonderful look ... [In reply to] Can't Post

his patience is immeasurable, full of wisdom and compassion - such a beautiful scene!

Thankyou for a great week of SCOD's Ithilwen Smile Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2009, 11:40am

Post #7 of 10 (3575 views)
Shortcut
Very inspirational to us all ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very defining moment when Frod and Gandalf speak about the current predicament the world of Middle-Earth is in. The fact that no one ever wishes to live in a time of darkness. It's much like ourselves, with the chaos that's been taking place, whether it's war, economy, or something like global warming, we can't just sit around and complain about it. We have to decide what to do with the time that is given to us.

I better stop before I get too deep. Excellent screencaps this week Ithilwen! Smile

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 11 2009, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 10 (3587 views)
Shortcut
I love Gandalf's expression in that screencap. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us..." Why do you suppose Gandalf said that to Frodo? What does it mean?

I think you can see all the urgency, all the strength and wisdom that is flowing through Gandalf towards Frodo. Why does he say that to Frodo? Because he knows this may be his last chance to leave Frodo with a little of that strength and wisdom, enough to keep him going when Gandalf can no longer be with him. You may not have any choice about the challenges that face you, he's saying - but you do have the choice to accept them courageously rather than trying to avoid them. These are the words that Frodo will remember at Parth Galen, before he jumps in the boat and heads for Mordor alone.

I think you can also see in Gandalf's face that as he tries to help Frodo face his fate, he's also coming to accept his own. He knows what kind of a challenge he's about to face, and he too is making that same decision here - he's coming to terms with the fact that he is going to have to face the Balrog and that it is likely to mean his death, leaving the mission leaderless. He's quite literally at a cross-roads, with a very difficult decision to make. But as he says these words to Frodo, he takes them to heart for himself as well. And he chooses the way straight down to where he knows his own fate will be decided.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 11 2009, 11:54pm

Post #9 of 10 (3579 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf has lived a long time... [In reply to] Can't Post

300 lives of men. He has seen many a predicament and known so many different spirits. It seems to me that the wisdom of the ages spoke through him and it was profound, so striking, yet so simple seeming a statement, but the poignancy of it gave Frodo a solid foundation to anchor his resolve. I feel that Gandalf delivered that statement to Frodo from the depth of his love for him and it subtly helped turn his fear away to think clearer. It was a deciding moment from one gentle spirit of great heart to another.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2009, 2:27am

Post #10 of 10 (3901 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

where this line would rank in a poll of faves.

I reckon the performances were great...I get caught up in the line's delivery and have probably not paid a whole lot of attention to Ian/Gandalf or Elijah/Frodo here.

I suppose this is similar to saying don't let life happen to you, you happen to it. But I much prefer Tolkien's way of putting it.

Impressive.Both the architure and the music.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.