SCOD ~July 8, 2009~ ...But Mithril

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Jul 8 2009, 1:00pm

Post #1 of 15 (4904 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~July 8, 2009~ ...But Mithril Can't Post

“The wealth of Moria was not in gold...or jewels...but Mithril.”

The first image is Gandalf leading the Fellowship carefully along the long mine passages in Moria. Notice the fine silvery lines on the wall…Mithril.

And the Second Aragorn, smoking his pipe, and Boromir deep in thought. (And I think in the background may be Legolas causing trouble Smile )

1- What did you think about the mines? Did the set/miniature/digital shots convince you this could be a real place?

2- What is Boromir thinking about? He looks rather perplexed…

3- Book Firsters: What did you think of the changes from the book?
And movie firsters: What did you think when you read this section of the book?

4- Any other thoughts/comments

El eria e mor
I `lir en el luitha `uren

(A star rises out of the darkness. The song of the star enchants my heart)

~Aníron, Enya

NARF since summer '08 when I wouldn't read anything written by Tolkien because my Mum called it classic literature...

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2009, 1:52pm

Post #2 of 15 (4421 views)
Shortcut
More evidence of Boromir's greed ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Up until now, Boromir clearly cannot be trusted. We know he wants the Ring. Now when he sees a mine of perhaps the greatest wealth in all of Middle-Earth, lying in rest within the Misty Mountains, he can't help but think of what he might be able to do with it. He could gain power easily through wealth. The look on his face in this shot to me looks like shock, that such wealth has never been used to a great extent.

As for the change from the book, I didn't mind it. I liked the added scene, and especially the lighting on the characters' faces, it was really neat to look at.

Thanks for a great post Ithilwen! Smile

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Jul 8 2009, 1:56pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 8 2009, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 15 (4399 views)
Shortcut
Boromir and Aragorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the way they started to give us little hints that these guys would start to find the things they had in common, here in Moria...all that fighting of big monsters together and having to wait around a lot while the old guy in charge figures things out really helps heroes to bond...

More seriously, we do need these moments here to make Boromir's talk with Aragorn in Lothlorien credible -- if we hadn't seen them as starting to get along before that, given that they started out as adversaries, Boromir's sudden willingness to confide in Aragorn could have been a real "huh?" moment...and that would have weakened that scene considerably...

You're picking some great shots this week -- glad you decided to be a SCOD leader!

Weaver

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 8 2009, 7:32pm

Post #4 of 15 (4383 views)
Shortcut
interesting interpretation of Boromir's expression [In reply to] Can't Post

That's debatable, of course. We really don't know what he's thinking, but I suppose it's possible. My bet is that he's still stewing on how the fellowship can use the ring against Sauron.

Nuradar

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 8 2009, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 15 (4380 views)
Shortcut
These are both terrific shots [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually notice these when watching the films, but only fleetingly. I always notice Gandalf feeling the walls, but never noticed before the exposed lines of mithril! I love it! Thanks for picking this shot.

As for the other shot (Aragorn and Boromir) I never notice their facial expressions. Boromir really appears to be comtemplating something (probably about how they can use the ring to defeat Sauron). And it's neat to see that Aragorn notices his deep contemplation.

I think the entire set for the Mines of Moria, from entrance to exit, was incredible. I really felt and believed that they were indeed underground.

As for the change from the book, I'm embarassed to say I don't remember what it is. I HAVE to read the books again!!! Blush

Thanks Ithilwen!

Nuradar

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 8 2009, 9:31pm

Post #6 of 15 (4368 views)
Shortcut
Yet again [In reply to] Can't Post

SCOD shows me something I missed. I have never noticed the silvery lines of mithril!Shocked

Yes, it was a convincing minature for me...I am totally immersed everytime I see the films. (which reminds me it's been over a year since I saw them ShockedBlush)

I think from that shot of Boromir, I imagine him to be thinking through how he can get the ring. He looks quite stressed. And it's as though Aragorn can read his mind as he looks sort of cross.

With most of the scenes that were changed I found that when I read the book for the first time....I prefered the book's version, which suprised me....as with other films/books it always seems if you read first then you don't like the film so much, and if you watch first you don't like the book so much............but not so with LOTR.

Artanis

Listening: LOTR soundrack
Random Delights: TORN, Facebook (and LOTRo, hopefully, one day..please)

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2009, 1:40am

Post #7 of 15 (4352 views)
Shortcut
Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

1- What did you think about the mines? Did the set/miniature/digital shots convince you this could be a real place?
Oh, yes. If you hadn't said it was a set I still would've believed the Fellowship was running around under some big mountain! Not quite true but I was very much in the moment when I first went through Moria.
2- What is Boromir thinking about? He looks rather perplexed…
Dang! Glad 'they' made *that* change-having one of the Hobbits look like a moron throwing that stone in the water--instead of me!

And movie firsters: What did you think when you read this section of the book?
Hours of journeying in the dark...I enjoy reading this section but, for the most part, understand that the pace of the film had to be picked up a bit.

4- Any other thoughts/comments
umm...no. Well, yes. Chalk me up as another viewer who didn't really notice the veins of mithril in this shot.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2009, 6:37am

Post #8 of 15 (4370 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me or... [In reply to] Can't Post

... does anyone notice Gandalf's hand looks like it's in a plaster or one of those sprain-type-bands? Or maybe that's part of his costume - the undersleeve or something. Or maybe I should just check the costume discussions for this one Crazy

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 9 2009, 6:38am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 9 2009, 11:56am

Post #9 of 15 (4340 views)
Shortcut
Do you think they're getting along? [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir looks to me as if he's still thinking "I knew we should never have come in here," and trying to suppress his irritation. Aragorn looks sideways at him - feeling some empathy with Boromir's impatience, maybe, but also rather worried about it, I'd say. Now, once they have something to fight, I'd agree with you - as warriors they find they're on the same page right away!

I think two things bring about Boromir's sudden willingness to confide in Aragorn in Lothlorien - first the fall of Gandalf, in which both Men play a role in leading the Fellowship to safety. And then the unsettling effect of Galadriel herself, who has uncovered all Boromir's buried hopes and fears. Boromir needs to talk to someone, and Aragorn is the one who's around - and who might at least know the home he's so worried about.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2009, 12:41pm

Post #10 of 15 (4338 views)
Shortcut
well, they look like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...me and my husband on road trips when we are "getting along"...right before I hit him for not stopping for directions, of course...Smile

I guess I'm thinking there's a lot of eye contact -- of Aragorn toward Boromir mostly -- in several of the Moria shots. The first is when they first get blocked in by the Watcher, there's a couple I think in the Cave Troll battle, etc. Even if it's more Aragorn checking up on Boromir, it's at least showing some connection between the two of them. I guess that's more of what I was getting at.

After the "incident" on Caradhras, Aragorn probably is on his guard, partly...but I think that all the fighting together in Moria really does bond the fellowship together -- the leap across the collapsing stairs especially seems to make them (literally) "brothers in arms".

Weaver

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 9 2009, 3:03pm

Post #11 of 15 (4367 views)
Shortcut
Good catch about the eye contact. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've got the same impression as you, that it's often Aragorn paying attention to Boromir.

I agree about the bonding when they fight in Moria. Right from "They have a cave troll!" you get the sense that they share a lot of knowledge - it's as if they instinctively know how to work together in this environment....

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2009, 4:57pm

Post #12 of 15 (4354 views)
Shortcut
I think both Boromir and Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

are not used to sitting and waiting on others... neither are the elf and the dwarf, for that matter. But I think the Moria scenes as brilliant! So much happens in such a short period of time while they're there. Gandalf's telling of this history of Moria makes it more mystical than just dark and dead.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Jul 10 2009, 12:32am

Post #13 of 15 (4326 views)
Shortcut
The things ya miss ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed the ladder Crazy Smile

The wall of the mines looks real enough for me. The only time I couldn't get my head around the scenes was the when they looked down into the mine - but that was another shot.

Boromir might be thinking how to get them all to go to Minas Tirith - but loose Aragorn on the way Wink

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 10 2009, 12:56am

Post #14 of 15 (4326 views)
Shortcut
see, it wasn't just gratitous violence! [In reply to] Can't Post

All that slashing and hacking was vital to the story after all, how about that!

They may be starting to bond, but I agree that there's not yet trust here -- it really does take the conversation in Lorien, where Boromir finally lets Aragorn in on some of his worries/fears, for them to really start to become "brothers" on a level that's deeper than the respect gained in Moria through facing physical danger together.

I just love these two actors together...they both brought out the best in each other, didn't they?

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 10 2009, 4:22am

Post #15 of 15 (4621 views)
Shortcut
and it wasn't gratuitous either! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad spell check doesn't work on subject lines...well, at least I did not have to add and spell at that same time... that would be very, very bad!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.