SCOD ~July 6, 2009~ The Watcher in the Water

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Jul 6 2009, 2:53pm

Post #1 of 8 (4472 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~July 6, 2009~ The Watcher in the Water Can't Post

Welcome to this week’s SCOD! This is my first time…so bear with me Smile

(I hope the images are the correct size...if not I'll resize them)

Our first image is of Aragorn; right after Sam alarmed him that Frodo has been grabbed. And the second is Frodo, being yanked around by the Watcher.

1.) What did you think of Aragorn’s reaction? And the reaction of the Fellowship, running into the water hacking (or shooting) at this massive creature to save Frodo?

2.) Now, the Watcher. Book Firsters, what did you think of Weta’s interpretation? Is this how you visualized it? Movie firsters, what was the first thing you thought when you saw the Watcher?

3.) How did you like the soundscape for the watcher? Did it fit the creature? If my memory serves me it was a groaning walrus…

Any other thoughts and/or comments are most welcome!

El eria e mor
I `lir en el luitha `uren

(A star rises out of the darkness. The song of the star enchants my heart)

~Aníron, Enya

NARF since summer '08 when I wouldn't read anything written by Tolkien because my Mum called it classic literature...

frederica bolger
Lorien

Jul 6 2009, 10:42pm

Post #2 of 8 (4107 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an interesting shot of Aragorn, with his face in the shadows, really 'foul looking' for a change. It almost looks as if he's lost an eye... could this be because he's got a massive black eye from whacking his face with a surfboard?

The Watcher... probably needed to be one creature, rather than a mass of snakes, for movie-firsters to understand. Where they lost me was when all the teeth unsheathed... now he's just a monster who's going to EAT him instead of this enigmatic powerful creature.

Nice choice of shots!

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 2:34am

Post #3 of 8 (4135 views)
Shortcut
oh, the watcher... [In reply to] Can't Post

my very least favorite "monster". Still not sure if it's due to the appearance on the creature, the accompanying music, or a combination of the two. Something was tooooo 50's monster flick for Middle-earth, for me.
But anyhow--otherwise the scene was good--lots of action! Liked the team work shown by the Fellowship here.
Never caught One-Eyed Stider Wink before.
looking forward to the rest of this week's SCODs!

(This post was edited by batik on Jul 7 2009, 2:35am)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 7 2009, 7:51am

Post #4 of 8 (4092 views)
Shortcut
If it shocks Aragorn, it's got to be bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Viggo's reaction to the Watcher is more effective than the Watcher itself -- what a great look!

I always wonder how Frodo didn't lose the Ring in this sequence -- considering how easy he lost it when he tripped on some snow before...

Who's watched the commentaries on how they filmed poor Elijah in this shot? How long did he have to hang upside down -- or is this CGI Frodo?

Could they have done it with a smaller less giant squid-like monster? I don't know. I think the scale and monster-y-nish of this helps to set the tone for the rest of Moria -- combined with the Cave Troll, it makes the Balrog the third monster they encounter, and the build up to it is enhanced by having them encounter other scary things before he takes the stage.

So I guess I like the watcher as a warm-up act...but the real "star" comes later!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 11:05am

Post #5 of 8 (4087 views)
Shortcut
Watcher [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) What did you think of Aragorn’s reaction? And the reaction of the Fellowship, running into the water hacking (or shooting) at this massive creature to save Frodo?

I liked it well enough. My favorite reaction in that whole scene was where everyone was watching the movement in the water except for Gandalf and Frodo who were intent on the door!

2.) Now, the Watcher. Book Firsters, what did you think of Weta’s interpretation? Is this how you visualized it? Movie firsters, what was the first thing you thought when you saw the Watcher?

As a book firster, I thought it all right. I don't think it would have been as interesting a scene with just tentacles.

3.) How did you like the soundscape for the watcher? Did it fit the creature? If my memory serves me it was a groaning walrus…

I believe you are right, it was a walrus.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7 2009, 4:48pm

Post #6 of 8 (4070 views)
Shortcut
He did it all [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah getting flung around... that's him. I remember Sean Astin talking about how he was like a cat as they had that bungie chord around his ankle and kept flailing him up, then he'd fall and drop... jump up and do it again... over and over. Didn't bother him a bit. Remember how Dom says the same thing about Elijah falling down stairs and jumping right up, dusts himself off and moves on? "Like Chaplin!"

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7 2009, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 8 (4070 views)
Shortcut
*shudder* I held my breath, fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG they did such a fabulous job with this!!!! I get all excited just thinking about it! Lookit Aragorn's disbelief! And Frodo cries out for him. I don't think much acting was required as Elijah's thrown around and hanging SO HIGH! But the music really makes it for me, too! Anyone ever see 50,000 Leagues Under the Sea? They used either a very close variation or the same music! It's so iconic to giant squid attack... like Jaws music for shark or sinister, hidden attack.

That beast was SO COOL! And I love how Boromir was right in there, too. OH GEEZ! And the Hobbits running out to save Frodo all getting knocked over... Sam hacking at the tentacles... Frodo even goes for his sword as he's being dragged... omg I love this scene!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 5:48pm

Post #8 of 8 (4284 views)
Shortcut
I imagined it [In reply to] Can't Post

to look like an octopus so the head of the monster in the film didn’t look right to me.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.