Lúthien Tinúviel
Bree

Aug 25 2009, 4:40pm

Post #27 of 35 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Don't be so silly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Talent portion:

While Rowling has no public reputation as a performer, she has said she enjoys music by the Smiths and the Clash. She sings a painful medley of “Train in Vain” and “How Soon is Now”. The judges are trading looks.

Tolkien, also not given to the performing arts, does a reading of “Beowulf” in the original Anglo-Saxon.

The judges vote for Tolkien. One judge interviewed after the competition, said, “We didn’t know what he was saying, but at least he didn’t hurt our ears.”

Swimsuit portion:

The lovely, slender Jo sports a sexy red bikini with high-cut leg. Lookin’ good for a forty-something woman who’s had children.

Tolkien has chosen a 1930s-era swimming suit, daringly baring his arms and even his legs (up to mid-thigh).

Geh. Tolkien loses.

Evening wear portion:

Jo is elegant in a low-cut, black, sleeveless gown with a flowing skirt. The contrast with her blonde hair is stunning.

Tolkien’s choice of a red satin gown with ruffles on the neckline, sleeves, and skirt is…unfortunate.

Said one judge after the competition, “He didn’t seem to fill it out very well at all.”

Onstage question:

The judges ask Jo her opinion of current events in Honduras. Jo responds with a poised analysis of the legality of the Supreme Court and Congressional decisions in the South American country.

Tolkien steps up and fields a question on the relative importance of marital fidelity among political candidates. He mumbles and speaks too fast, and the judges are clearly at a loss.

Miss Rowling takes home the crown!

Tolkien lived years before Rowling, and the styles of clothing were VERY different. Rowling is female, Tolkien is male, and therefore OF COURSE she'll wear a bikini while he doesn't. If Tolkien was a modern person, he would dressed as whatever is in style.
So basically, you can't say someone's a better author just because you like the clothes that are in style at the time.

the_argonath
Lorien

Sep 9 2009, 4:30pm

Post #28 of 35 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Strange, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as I read this I see a Potter advert under the TORn banner above and feel that I have to answer :)
As a die-hard fan of both I usually say that I cannot answer such a question...
But then I say that I prefer Rings films and Potter books, because Potter is so much easier to read.
But then I prefer Tolkien cause of the depth & history associated with everything which is detailed in the books, something with Potter lacks completely in my opinion.
So I'd say 60/40... but the sides do change depending on my mood!!
Thanks Wink

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 6:36pm

Post #29 of 35 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

The world is quiet here.

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 6:38pm

Post #30 of 35 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

The world is quiet here.

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 6:39pm

Post #31 of 35 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Ditto to Argonath [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Same here

The world is quiet here.

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 13 2009, 1:12am

Post #32 of 35 (2432 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien every time, for me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien would win every time. rowling wouldn't stand a chance.

Cass
The Shire

Nov 14 2009, 2:51pm

Post #33 of 35 (2446 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to be honest here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien does a greatgreatgreat job writing stories. I read threw the entire LOTR series in like a month the first time I read it, but I couldn't even get past page 100 in Rowling's (sp?) books.

This is just me personally, but I will always see
Tolkien as the better author.

Cardir
The Shire

Dec 16 2009, 3:34pm

Post #34 of 35 (6174 views)
Shortcut
This is no contest [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's works are on a whole different level. In style, imagination, meaning, and importance they are on par with the great litterary works of all time.

J.K.'s only advantage is that it is easier linquistically for the neo-modern consumer to read. That is because it is just pulp fiction. I agree with one of the earlier contributors that she deserves a better match-up because her series is good (And I like them).

Iconic work of litterature V/S pulp fiction? If you really want to go there - Tolkien wins hands down. They, as works, do not belong in the same discussion. As far as enjoyment goes - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I respect everyone's opinions. Evil

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 3 2013, 8:44pm

Post #35 of 35 (1718 views)
Shortcut
tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.