Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Gimli's Coronation Outfit?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2009, 2:46am

Post #1 of 8 (3291 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Gimli's Coronation Outfit? Can't Post

Once again, most of these pics are fuzzy, so I apologize.

From the Art of Return of the King: "We went all-out with this, to represent the true dandy at the heart of every Dwarf. We wanted it to be as if Gimli had gone back to his home and found his most special garments. We designed intricate and ornate layers of embroidery for the velvet blue surcoat and the edge of his coat. Everything about this garment was slightly over the top, including the rings on his fingers." -- Ngila Dickson

I'll add that I don't believe the rings on his fingers made it into the movie. At least, I don't have any proof of them.

He wears the same maille sleeves and skirt, the same shoulder armor, the same gloves, the same boots, and the same belt as with his fellowship outfit.

What we do get are a new blue velvet surcoat and matching cloak. The surcoat is sleeveless with embroidered and jeweled trim down the front. It appears to be a cotton velvet. Velvet can me woven from a couple of different fibers, including silk, cotton, and some man-made fibers. Ngila used the silk velvet on the elves and used the cotton velvet for humans. Here she uses the stiffer cotton velvet for Gimli. There's a gold pattern printed on the surcoat.

The cloak is a rectangle of velvet gathered at his shoulders. Under the beard there must be some clasps to hold it on, but I don't have any photos of them.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in the costumes of LOTR. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for July

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 2:51am

Post #2 of 8 (2103 views)
Shortcut
I actually was aware of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because of the action figure... one I never bought. I found it one of those figures designed to fill up wave slots or specifically aimed at collectors.

However, there's an interesting thing here... perhaps a rare preview at the dwarven capes for The Hobbit?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2009, 3:21am

Post #3 of 8 (2080 views)
Shortcut
something borrowed...something blue... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, your first sketch of Gimli makes me think of Bakshi's Balrog -- I guess it's the boots, they look like fuzzy slippers to me!

I think they got it in terms of an "over the top" look for the dwarf here...this seems to me to be "loud hawaiian shirt" equivalent in dwarf style, I think. With lots of bling! Mr. T had a belt like that didn't he?

It's clear to me that Ngila and JRD had similar concepts of Gimli's film personaltiy and how that might affect his clothing choices.

All that said, I really do like the look!

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 5:51pm

Post #4 of 8 (2059 views)
Shortcut
spiffy! [In reply to] Can't Post

No...this does not look familiar at all. The blue and gold....outstanding. The detail on the tunic and the trim...very nice. Wonder what Gimli thought about getting all gussied up....'fine, but I'm not changing my boots!'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2009, 11:41pm

Post #5 of 8 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Redheads always look good in blue ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that mail undershirt is a little tight across the chest? Could it be that same shirt remade or polished up for this occasion? They've found many uses for the velvet. Frodo's Shire clothes were velvet also.

Royal blue for our Elf-friend Dwarf. What a special soul... and this outfit really honours his uniqueness. Beautiful :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Sonic#
Bree

Jul 4 2009, 2:48am

Post #6 of 8 (2046 views)
Shortcut
They really do! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that a lot.

And I just want to say, otherwise, that the trim on his overshirt/robe/whatever-you-call-it is neat. I think it all just fits together really well, and makes Gimli look like a handsome dwarf.

Elven
Valinor

Jul 10 2009, 12:23am

Post #7 of 8 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Are they cabachons ... [In reply to] Can't Post

down the centre of the embroidery of the coat? They look like they have a blue 'lapiz' stone in the centre of a metal disk - I love the outfit -
and the blue really suits Gimli and the occassion - I right good looking dwarve indeed!

I notice his gloves aren't new ... LOL!!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 10 2009, 12:50am

Post #8 of 8 (2023 views)
Shortcut
ha...that sounds like some kind of tropic insect! [In reply to] Can't Post

For a minute there, I though Gimli had bugses on his jacketses...

The things you learn around here!

Cabachons -- what a cool word!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.