deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 5:15pm

Post #1 of 27 (12768 views)
Shortcut
'The Hobbit' in 2009? Can't Post

The Hobbit in 2009?
Source: The New York Times February 18, 2007

Despite his falling out with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson, who sued New Line regarding "The Fellowship of the Ring," New Line founder and co-chairman Robert K. Shaye is pressing ahead and eyeing a 2009 release for The Hobbit.

The New York Times interviewed Shaye last week and said:

And he would not comment on reports in the news media that the "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi had been asked to direct "The Hobbit." He said, however, that although there was no workable script yet for the film, he intended to release it in 2009.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Stapper
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 6:21pm

Post #2 of 27 (9355 views)
Shortcut
*whines* What does it mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must've forgotten how to read English, for I have no clue what that the NY Times article stated.
|AAARRRG!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 6:39pm

Post #3 of 27 (9325 views)
Shortcut
Script? [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need no stinkin' script! Smile

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 7:30pm

Post #4 of 27 (9287 views)
Shortcut
And the runaway locomotive [In reply to] Can't Post

Picks up speed as it chugs ever closer to the precipice.

And the only one with the power to throw on the emergency brake is MGM. Here's to hoping they do it in time.

Peek-A-Boo!

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 27 (9305 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm, lessee.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Step one: development, like storyboarding and writing the script

Step two: preproduction, like hiring everybody and building props and sets

Step three: production, like actually filming the movie

Step four: post production, like assembling a rough cut and scoring the music.

Step five: distribution, like publicity and release.

So 2009 is just two years away and they haven't even finished development?????

Well, I suppose it could happen. After all, "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter" was shot in eight days by William "One Take" Beaudine and look what a classic that was. And that same year screenwriter Carl Hittleman (writer of "Sheena, Queen of the Jungle") had already churned out the script for its prequel, "Billy the Kid Versus Dracula".

It only goes to show that "quick and dirty" does not necessarily mean that the film is going to be gosh-awful. (But that's usually the way to bet.)

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.

- The Ale Less Filling by Robert Frostymug

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 19 2007, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 27 (9327 views)
Shortcut
What is better than a studio pushed Hobbit?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy <---me feeling sick to my tummy

The answer to my question: A rushed studio pushed picture. What I meanby studio pushed is that the film didn't grow out of anybody's desire to be creative or they had a story they loved or something they really wanted to bring to the screen but it's a property, a franchise, that the studio sees as a cash cow. Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So, now they are probably close to pre-production, or in it in some early stage, without a script! I can't fathom going forward on a film unless there was a clear vision shared between studio, writer and director and it had been road-mapped in a finished script, or perhaps a script that needs only minor revisions. (Not a shooting script but at least a script that everybody is happy with.)

I really like the choice of Raimi, as I think he probably has lots of love for the property - he is more a geek than many of us - but going forward without a script scrambles my brain. It may have a budget, it may have a director but it doesn't have a script?!

More than anything I have heard so far, this makes me think this is a road map for disaster. Raimi may have the ability to pull something off still, he knows his genre directing, but I was kinda hoping for more than something decent, I was crossing my fingers for greatness.

Now, my fondest dream is that NL Cinema makes this Hobbit and the MGM/UA conglomoration goes ahead with a second PJ helmed Hobbit. But crikey! That may be something like 2112! (Which gives us plenty of time to organize world-wide line parties.)

CrazyCrazyCrazy

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 9:47pm

Post #7 of 27 (9237 views)
Shortcut
No script, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean we can write it? Smile

Hah, most of us here could probably do better than most of Hollywood's writers...

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 9:54pm

Post #8 of 27 (9259 views)
Shortcut
So I'm assuming he's going to be distributing copies of... [In reply to] Can't Post

... his own home movies?

Gee I wonder which part he'll play?

*cough*GOLLUM!*cough*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 2:30am

Post #9 of 27 (9222 views)
Shortcut
He said... he said... he said... [In reply to] Can't Post

*swats at invisible nazgul circling my head*

He's got a few buzzing his, too. He's also trying to cover himself for his tantrum a while back by sounding like things are moving forward and he's got things under control. He'll come around in the end.

I'd love to hear conversations between Michael Lynne, Mark Ordesky and him. I wouldn't think they'd be too happy being painted into a corner by Shaye's other comments.

It ain't over yet.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 2:44am

Post #10 of 27 (9244 views)
Shortcut
That's my belief. [In reply to] Can't Post

IF IF IF NL doesn't come around, I think Peter will create 2 films (maybe co-producing) in collaboration with MGM and probably have Zaentz hovering in the shadows. I also predict they'll have a working script (which I think they already have begun work on in a roughing out stage) and pre-production noise going on in 2 years... ready to hit the ground running with the clock runs out on NL and regardless of what they may be working on. I think "There And Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale" has a very nice RING to it ;) They've got the locations, the sets, the writers, the props... everything ready to go. You know they toyed with the idea of The Hobbit when they were filming LotR, which is why they've kept the hobbit holes, props, etc. Cripes, Bag End is in Peter's back yard, right?

Rami may be a geek, but that doesn't mean he has the sensitivity and respect for the work like Wingnut. We'd have another Hollywood movie. Oh goodie!

I know there are many who would be very happy to see Peter out of the picture, so to speak... but geez!

sample sample

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 2:59am

Post #11 of 27 (9208 views)
Shortcut
There's also [In reply to] Can't Post

that pesky problem with distribution, aka MGM.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

teddiwen
The Shire

Feb 20 2007, 4:43am

Post #12 of 27 (9245 views)
Shortcut
I wrote "Frodo" and then I decided... we don't need a script... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL here anyone else remembering the "If George Lucas had direction The Lord of the Rings"?

First line out of George's mouth... I sat down to write the script and I wrote "Frodo" and then I decided I didn't need a script... lol

I would be so crushed for The Hobbit to suck. It literally offers me a bit of happy hope when I'm down that there is the possiblity of more excellent movie material in the future.

teddi

Annael
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 5:22am

Post #13 of 27 (9171 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if Shaye pushes a version of "The Hobbit" through and it sucks, that shouldn't rob you of hope. Remember Bakshi.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Feb 20 2007, 9:33am

Post #14 of 27 (9184 views)
Shortcut
Ahahaha!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to go find that on YouTube and watch it again now. It is hilarious! And also a little scary since it might actually be happening before our eyes with the Hobbit.

Peek-A-Boo!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 9:51am

Post #15 of 27 (9181 views)
Shortcut
Thuh Ende. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a shame if The Hobbit was used for spite.

sample sample

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 11:54am

Post #16 of 27 (9205 views)
Shortcut
it was on the tv this morning along with.... [In reply to] Can't Post

the 'rehearsal' and some footage of the upcoming LOTR musical...set to release in June.

-e_H-
Smile

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 7:22pm

Post #17 of 27 (9150 views)
Shortcut
Money, money, money... [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmmm, quick profit leaps from that statement -
no workable script?
and release in 2009?
Someone tell me they do know there's a book they can get ideas from at least!!

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 20 2007, 11:38pm

Post #18 of 27 (9184 views)
Shortcut
agreed - but one small glimmer of hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is your point about the possibility of a SECOND Hobbit.... At least if one is made which isn't good, it leaves the way open (ignoring for a moment all rights issues!) for someone else to make a good one in years to come. If someone else makes the 'definitive' version then what hope have we of ever seeing PJ's Hobbit? (Or I'm secretly hoping that my own directing career will have moved forward enough that I might get to make my own Hobbit... Wink)

fmaximus
Rivendell

Feb 21 2007, 12:47am

Post #19 of 27 (9163 views)
Shortcut
Starting to lose interest in the Hobbit movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the statements coming out of Robert Shaye's mouth as of late, I am starting to lose interest in the Hobbit as a movie.
If New Line goes ahead without Jackson (and it looks like they are insane enough to do it), it will kill the franchise not only for me, but many others out there.
I might still watch the hobbit when it comes out, but only if I don't have to pay for it.
So... take that Robert Shaye. Tongue

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 5:54am

Post #20 of 27 (9121 views)
Shortcut
Many share your sentiment [In reply to] Can't Post

I think many of us fear that that the films will resemble in some way the Billy Crystal parody at the Oscars when ROTK was so triumphant.

I am surprised they haven't been posted here but there are many boycots and petitions around, full of people angry over the PJ-less Hobbit.

I will give any version a fair chance, but the crux of the thing for me is to be agog and agag that they are possibly going forward on a film WITHOUT A SCRIPT!

I can only laugh.Cool

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 3:18pm

Post #21 of 27 (9086 views)
Shortcut
Oh cripes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd LOVE to see an adaptation of The Hobbit done by you! That's so cool!

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 9:29pm

Post #22 of 27 (9161 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's well know here that I sincerely want PJ to do "The Hobbit".. [In reply to] Can't Post

but can it really be said that they had a working script as they did LotR? I understood they were laying down track as the locomotive was coming. Thing is, only really clever adapters can work that way. They showed they were clever, even dating back to their oscar nom for adapting the facts of Heavenly Creatures into a movie. But can the same be said of Raimi?

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

fmaximus
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 1:40pm

Post #23 of 27 (10959 views)
Shortcut
It will be a lot more difficult... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for a new team to do a good job with the Hobbit in less than two years than if PJ and co. were to do it. I mean, PJ already has a head start on the locations, and props from Weta that were left over from the LOTR movies. And it would also take PJ less time to get all the actors needed on board for the movie, as the actors will not be quite so eager to join a PJ-less Hobbit project, especially a rushed one at that.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Feb 22 2007, 1:46pm)

totoro
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 3:56am

Post #24 of 27 (9074 views)
Shortcut
Jeesh. How long does it take before a thread is deleted? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 7 2014, 11:51pm

Post #25 of 27 (8653 views)
Shortcut
and here we are [In reply to] Can't Post

Days away from movie .... III

Can we imagine it...

2007 - 2014

7 long years.

wowCool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.