Aug 1 2009, 2:25am

Post #51 of 57 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Heh, a typical case of "I resemble that remark"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh!

So...what have you got in your backpack? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Saelind
Lorien

Aug 1 2009, 9:58pm

Post #52 of 57 (1503 views)
Shortcut
on the calender [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be putting this on my calender when the dates are announced. And I have been known to squee...

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 2 2009, 12:12am

Post #53 of 57 (1513 views)
Shortcut
No, ask him... [In reply to] Can't Post

when he learned to speak Anglo-Saxon.

LOL

Love ya, you know, V.W. Just teasing.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2009, 4:38pm

Post #54 of 57 (1516 views)
Shortcut
And we love your smiley-faced Nazgul. [In reply to] Can't Post

(That was visualweasel who made those, wasn't it? Crazy)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 3 2009, 4:59pm

Post #55 of 57 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it was. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

As for when I learned to speak* Anglo-Saxon, that would be Fall 1993 — though I had studied it a little before that. I first read Beowulf (in the Modern English translation of Burton Raffel) long before that — at the tender age of eleven or twelve.

* Properly, one doesn't speak Anglo-Saxon, but rather read it. But I pride myself on good (resconstructed) pronunciation. Wink

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2009, 12:53am

Post #56 of 57 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Do you sound like Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

when you speak Anglo-Saxon?

Wink

Sadly, it's gone the way of Latin, no longer a tongue for casual conversation.

That's a young age to be reading Beowulf! But I can beat that, at least in part: I remember reading an abridged version, mostly the Grendel story, in the old "Book of Knowledge" my parents owned when I was younger than ten - probably around seven or eight. I don't know why I was so fascinated with such a gross-out story...

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 5 2009, 1:23pm

Post #57 of 57 (1686 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to think so [In reply to] Can't Post

But so far as I know, no recording of Tolkien speaking Old English survives. The closest we have are the recordings of Tolkien reading from The Lord of the Rings. It was mainly the verse he was reading, but his pronunciation of some of the names in Rohan would be an approximation of Old English. It would be wonderful to hear the real thing from him, wouldn't it? Students attending his lectures on Beowulf recounted later how amazing it was. W.H. Auden wrote, "the voice was the voice of Gandalf."

Reading excerpts from Beowulf at seven or eight, eh? Nice! Perhaps you had a taste for the macabre. Wink

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.