The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Mythcon 40 -- "Sailing the Seas of Imagination" -- July 17-20 in Los Angeles
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 28 2009, 6:14am

Post #1 of 57 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon 40 -- "Sailing the Seas of Imagination" -- July 17-20 in Los Angeles Can't Post

A draft schedule has been posted for the 40th annual conference of the Mythopoeic Society, which runs Friday, July 17 through Monday, July 20 (but with a concentration on Saturday and Sunday events) at UCLA in Los Angeles, California. This year's featured guests are James Owen and Diana Pavlac Glyer. You can read more about the conference here. The Society, which exists to support "the study, discussion and enjoyment of fantastic and mythic literature", particularly that of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, publishes the journal Mythlore twice yearly, and its membership includes both fans and scholars.

Early registration, including room and board for out-of-towners, is available at the link above through July 6. It is also possible to register at the door, for locals who don't need onsite accommodations. If you are coming for just a day or two, I strongly encourage you to attend the banquet and festivities on Sunday evening.

At this, my fifth Mythcon, I look forward to such papers as "Jackson's Aragorn and the American Superhero Monomyth", "The Place of Virtue in Middle-earth", "The Life and Times of Hilary Tolkien", "Naming the Evil One: Onomastic Strategies in Tolkien and Rowling", "Simbelmynë: Mortality and Memory in Middle-earth", "In the Belly of the Balrog: Tolkien and the Book of Jonah", and two papers by TORN members: "Reconstructing Arda: The Second Prophecy of Mandos" by Voronwë the Faithful, and visualweasel's "Parody? Pigwiggenry? Sourcing the Early Verse of J.R.R. Tolkien" (read by someone else, as vw himself sadly will not be in attendance this year). There are plenty of other papers on Lewis, Williams, and other fantatists, plus several roundtable discussions and evening entertainments. And good times in great company. As a.s. whispered to me at lunch one day during last year's Mythcon: "this meal alone [as we found ourselves sitting and talking with Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond] is worth the price of admission". You can read some reports here on the events last year in Connecticut.

Anyone else attending?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us June 22-28 for "Fire and Water".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 28 2009, 6:17am

Post #2 of 57 (2289 views)
Shortcut
I wish I were attending [In reply to] Can't Post

But alas, I am not.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2009, 12:47pm

Post #3 of 57 (2276 views)
Shortcut
The timing doesn't work for me, unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like a great conference. But I'm on vacation the following weekend, so I need to be home that weekend, preparing.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 8:08am

Post #4 of 57 (2300 views)
Shortcut
If I go, I'd have to go alone... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no way anyone I know would want to attend. I need to find Tolkien nerds my age.

Hmm. If I do attend, it'll likely be Friday or Sunday. A cheaper day. Which day is Voronwe speaking so I can "pounce" him? And, well, any advice on which day would be best? Advice for one who is unused to such scholarly activities?

I'll bring my sketchbook with me for easy identification Smile

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 10:45pm

Post #5 of 57 (2269 views)
Shortcut
V's paper is Saturday afternoon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday and Monday are cheaper because they are short days: programming starts at 3 p.m. on Friday and ends at noon on Monday.

We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us June 22-28 for "Fire and Water".

visualweasel
Rohan

Jun 30 2009, 7:34pm

Post #6 of 57 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Be sure to give us a full report! [In reply to] Can't Post

And have fun! Wish I could be there. I had planned to, but other travel plans conflicted.

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 2 2009, 3:47pm

Post #7 of 57 (2268 views)
Shortcut
I mean, Voronwë's paper. [In reply to] Can't Post

Belatedly it occurs to me that "_V_" is the name of another member here, who is also known to present at fan events -- though not on Tolkien, I think.

Sorry if my abbreviation confused anyone scanning subject lines.

Join us June 28-July 5 for "The Gathering of the Clouds".

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 4 2009, 5:24am

Post #8 of 57 (2221 views)
Shortcut
I'll speaking both Saturday and Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

My paper is being presented on Saturday at 2 p.m. But I also will be sitting on a panel discussing Tolkien in the 21st Century on Sunday morning at ten.

I'd love to see you there!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 4 2009, 5:29am

Post #9 of 57 (2225 views)
Shortcut
I'm annoyed ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that visualweasel's paper is being read at the same time that I'll be sitting on the Tolkien panel.

I would like to hear it, even if he isn't reading it. Plus, it presents a difficult choice for anyone from around here who is attending and would like to see both. But that's the way these things go!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 4 2009, 1:46pm

Post #10 of 57 (2240 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could make this work [In reply to] Can't Post

That meal WAS worth the price of the whole shebang, NEB. I mean, I don't get to eat lunch with you and 'wease and dernwyn every day, ya know.

Wink

Seriously, I wish this was on the East Coast. I can't do LA in July, not schedule wise or budget wise, but I sure did enjoy being a Mythie last year and will go again.

Do we know where it's going to be next year?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 5 2009, 3:14am

Post #11 of 57 (2224 views)
Shortcut
And drogo, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't that a most excellent gathering? (With excellent company, of course!)

Yes, we have got to do this again some day! Smile I wonder how far in advance they schedule their conventions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 5 2009, 3:40am

Post #12 of 57 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Next year's location should be announced at this year's closing ceremonies. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's how it usually works. And the Mythsoc stewards are probably already considering bids for subsequent years from interested chapters or members -- a.s. should put something together in VA! It can't be any hotter than OK was in 2006. (And I suspect there'll be a Texas Mythcon in the next few years.)

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 5 2009, 2:53pm

Post #13 of 57 (2222 views)
Shortcut
DROGO!!! didn't mean to forget ya, man! [In reply to] Can't Post

**pretty nifty, "reply to this post", just noticed that.**

Didn't mean to overlook drogo. A hundred thousand pardons.

That was some lunch. I should have snuck a tape recorder into my purse...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 5 2009, 3:38pm

Post #14 of 57 (2277 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 12:10pm

Post #15 of 57 (2190 views)
Shortcut
A couple questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the lunches and dinners a part of the ticket cost, or do they cost seperately? If so, how much are lunch and dinner?

What in the world is the Khazad-dum Book Toss? Laugh

Around how many people usually attend this MythCon?

I am really torn between Saturday and Sunday. I like the panels on Saturday more, but the extra events and the banquet on Sunday sound really amazing. Since Voronwe is speaking both dates I'll likely go on Sunday. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing you, either, if you would not mind such an odd person like myself...

Thanks for the answers in advance :)

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 7 2009, 3:11pm

Post #16 of 57 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Individual meals can be purchased separately. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. That's confirmed here, but I don't know the cost -- probably UCLA's regular cafeteria prices.

2. The Khazad-dûm Book Toss was lately the subject of much discussion on the Mythsoc mail-list; the explanation was:

We find sometimes that the books we read are not up to our standards. Some are so bad you actually want to throw them against the wall. Well, at the Book Toss at Mythcon, you can! Bring a book *which you own* (no library books) but would like to get rid of. Stand up and briefly describe why you consider this book less than worthy of the time you invested in it (not to mention the $$). Then give it good, hearty whack against the wall. It's fun and amazingly cathartic. And, in the tradition of "one man's meat is another man's poison," your trash may be someone else's treasure, so once you have released that book, you have released ownership of it. Any attendee at the event may then claim your book.

3. Mythcon is tiny when compared to most fantasy or s.f. conventions (or even to many academic conferences, for that matter): usually there are fewer than 200 people in attendance. The intimacy makes it easier to interact with the authors and scholars in attendance.

4. The banquet certainly is a good time, but per the first link above, I'm not sure you can purchase a ticket for that at the door, so if you want to attend that, you should probably e-mail Mythsoc to find out.

Whichever day you come, I look forward to meeting you too! And to seeing Voronwë and drogo, and WonderBroad and Aelfwine, and Arquen, and anyone else from TORN who may be attending.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 9:38pm

Post #17 of 57 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the information [In reply to] Can't Post

That changes things completely; if then I come, I will likely come on Friday since it's cheaper and I won't need to buy any food for the short day. With the Comic Con the next weekend I need to save a little money :)

Considering that Mythcon is still running strong, I can certainly see myself going for the whole 4 day conference one day a few years from now.

Thanks, you have been very helpful! Friday it is! Look out for a perky, dark-haired 19 year old- I'll definitely be at the Aragorn discussion :)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 7 2009, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 57 (2190 views)
Shortcut
Alas, I won't be there until Friday night :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like we'll miss each other this year. But there's always another year!

drogo
Lorien

Jul 21 2009, 2:39am

Post #19 of 57 (2190 views)
Shortcut
S'okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been on TORN for ages! The UCLA Mythcon was another mini-moot, and I and Arquen, our geological expert from my era of TORN, both promised N.E. Brigand that we'd reappear for the SIl discussion in the RR. It was good meeting Voronwe and hearing his paper on the Second Prophesy of Mandos.

Mythcon is a blast and I am still in LA until tomorrow (going to see Harry Potter in IMAX with a friend from my old CA grad student days).

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 21 2009, 3:17am

Post #20 of 57 (2223 views)
Shortcut
miss you, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear you will be back for the Sil discussion. I SO look forward to any discussion of the Sil!

Angelic

Anyway, I am glad you had a good Mythcon! Hope we get more reports here shortly (cough).

a.s.

"an seileachan"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 22 2009, 3:06am

Post #21 of 57 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Next year's Mythcon will be in Dallas [In reply to] Can't Post

...and visualweasel is co-chair of the conference committee.

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And starting August 10: The Silmarillion!

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 22 2009, 3:11am

Post #22 of 57 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Dallas in the summertime [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a year in Texas one day, driving down the interminable interstate en route from Jacksonville FL to San Diego. I literally felt I had been in Texas and seen the same exact scenery for an entire year by the time I crossed the border...

But I hear Dallas is a pretty nifty town!

Cool

Just teasing, all you Texans. I'm sure whereever Mythcon is, it will be airconditioned.

Are you going to post a report about Mythcon here? Just wondering....

a.s.

"an seileachan"

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 3:13am

Post #23 of 57 (2186 views)
Shortcut
to quote *you*... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dollars, Taxes?" (you've no idea what a laugh I get out of that!)
anyhoo--Yay! that's pretty nearby. Maybe do-able. Say it's not in the heat of the summer!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 22 2009, 5:28am

Post #24 of 57 (2163 views)
Shortcut
It was nice to meet you, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to seeing you in the Silmarillion discussion. I'll probably poke my head in here and there (probably mostly to exclaim "what Tolkien REALLY wrote was ... ." Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 22 2009, 5:33am

Post #25 of 57 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon reports [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Are you going to post a report about Mythcon here? Just wondering....

I'll probably post a few thoughts on the papers and panels that I saw, and on my own experiences. But I'm sure N.E.B. will post a lot more, as he was (I'm sure as usual) a note-taking machine.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.