Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 4)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2009, 10:23am

Post #1 of 14 (899 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 4) Can't Post

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Peoples of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the people you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Today we will take a look at some design gallery pictures of Bilbo Baggins.

The first picture is a costume designer concept for a style of clothing for Bilbo. The next two pictures are costume photos. Next is an interesting look at Bilbo’s backpack. That is something we don’t get a close look at in the movie. Last is the maquette for "Bad Bilbo" when he grabs for the Ring around Frodo’s neck.

Did you like the "wacky little cut-off trousers Nila Dickson gave to the Hobbits?

Tomorrow will be a visit with the people in the Fellowship.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2009, 11:55am

Post #2 of 14 (634 views)
Shortcut
I love his backpack! [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it to be recurring in these films, that I have a personal passion for the backpacks of the characters. They vary between race (as far as I've seen), but the detail and thought that has been put into packing them makes the characters and movie all more realistic.

I believe the second picture is Bilbo's party outfit, and the third is the outfit he wears when he leaves Bag End. Both very classy and fitting for the character. Go Bilbo! Cool

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Jun 24 2009, 11:55am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2009, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 14 (590 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always paid attention to the backpacks of the characters.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 25 2009, 1:03am

Post #4 of 14 (585 views)
Shortcut
Those clothes really suited Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the way they could dress it up or dress it down...there's both Took and Baggins in that look!

In the films, there are two quick shots where Bilbo is first in his party coat, and then suddenly in his traveling one -- I don't know if they just didn't bother showing us when he switched them out or if it's a continuity error -- but I only noticed this after many, many viewings, so it's not a big deal either way.

I like the backpack, too -- but I wonder how much of a market there was for this sort of item in the Shire? Must have been custom made!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2009, 9:29am

Post #5 of 14 (580 views)
Shortcut
Don't they say clothes make the man. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

well, Hobbit in this case! I never noticed the coat change. Now I will have to check that out.

Since everyone who wanted to travel in the shire went on foot, maybe there was a big demand for backpacks and some Hobbit family made a bit of extra money making them over the winter to sell come spring.

Elven
Valinor

Jun 28 2009, 8:02pm

Post #6 of 14 (570 views)
Shortcut
Nice design ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the coat Bilbo wears - it seems a little different in cut to the drawing - the front panels fall a bit longer and straighter, maybe that was for the sketch to show the underneath - but a lovely outfit!
It actually looks as if the backpack is rather cumbersome - though Ian Holm carries it well (not that it would have had that much weight to it in real life) ... but everything is there, even his little cauldron!
Love the evil Bilbo Maquette - I need one of those by the front door for unexpected guests. Wink

Thanks Alcarcalime!
Wonderful!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 29 2009, 5:49am

Post #7 of 14 (595 views)
Shortcut
*lol* [In reply to] Can't Post

Grrr ... the boards ate my reply after the quote ... second try:

Love the evil Bilbo Maquette - I need one of those by the front door for unexpected guests. Wink

Now I am imagining the faces of some of my relatives and an acquaintance or two if I'd have such a maquette sitting by my door! EvilTongueAngelic

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 14 (562 views)
Shortcut
What you really need. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of those heads that would pop out of the wall beside the door when people you don't want to see show up! You know, like a jack-in-the-box.Evil

Elven
Valinor

Jun 29 2009, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 14 (557 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, when they ring the doorbell - then Lurch answers the door. :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 2:57am

Post #10 of 14 (554 views)
Shortcut
PoMe 4: Bilbo Baggins! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I do like Bilbo's "capris" have a couple/few pair myself!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 11:59am

Post #11 of 14 (551 views)
Shortcut
I thought . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

that capris were tight. Clamdiggers were loose.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 1:09pm

Post #12 of 14 (550 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

you may be right.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2009, 11:18pm

Post #13 of 14 (549 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe how much "Bad Bilbo" [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like Gollum in that maquette! The mask is so striking, that I've never really noticed the difference. And I always smile when I see Bilbo's pack... so much like Sam's. That really is a great shot of his pack!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 14 (596 views)
Shortcut
I thought . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw in the Appendices somewhere that they made the maquette to look like a blend of Ian Holm and Gollum. And that Ian Holm loved the maquette!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.