Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Legolas' Coronation Outfit?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 2:23am

Post #1 of 20 (16645 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Legolas' Coronation Outfit? Can't Post

Please note the new address for the archives. I've had to move my site with GeoCities closing later this year. http://diannethegeek.com/...tumediscussions.html

As usual, let's start at the bottom. We have a pair of pale blue pants, that look like they're made of silk. Over this is a silver skirt made from a crinkled silk. It's probable that this is a full under-robe as there are matching sleeves and a matching collar poking out under the main robe. There's a wide dark silk belt with a long tail, similar to Arwen's Farewell gown and Elrond's council outfit.

Covering all of this is a silk brocade robe. Alley Cat Scratch describes the fabric as: "an intricate brocade with a pale blue background. There is a rich mix of greens, blues, yellows, golds." It has been lined with a gold silk. The robe has a tall, mandarin style collar and two silver clasps. They look like mini mallorn leaves, to me. The front edges of both this robe and the under robe are curved up instead of square.

and a close-up of the fabric:

As usual, Alley Cat Scratch has a more detailed description.

Did You Ever Notice? is a semi-regular series taking a look at some of the details in LOTR one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. Look for me when you see me. You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 12:23pm

Post #2 of 20 (13576 views)
Shortcut
I guess this is the elvish version of a tuxedo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very classy!

I had no idea how many colors were in that robe -- it just looks "silvery" to me...

This reminds me of what he wears in the scene where Frodo wakes up after the eagle rescue -- the mandarin collar look and the fabric look the same to me -- makes me wonde if these two outfits meant to be a matching set or something? Do you know, Arwen's Daughter?

On the Hobbit board, Theodred posted this link about Orlando's mother selling his movie stuff: http://www.contactmusic.com/...-memorabilia_1107062

I wonder if any of his Elvish costumes are in that haul -- the only thing mentioned is a "wet suit" and I'm not a big enough Orlando fan to want that...Smile.

Weaver

Sonic#
Bree

Jun 23 2009, 1:12pm

Post #3 of 20 (13546 views)
Shortcut
That's been one of my favorite outfits [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't noticed the pants though, or the extra details and color going on underneath the first layer and below chest level. Thanks!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 3:04pm

Post #4 of 20 (13559 views)
Shortcut
hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This reminds me of what he wears in the scene where Frodo wakes up after the eagle rescue -- the mandarin collar look and the fabric look the same to me -- makes me wonde if these two outfits meant to be a matching set or something? Do you know, Arwen's Daughter?

I don't know about a matching set, but I did some quick legwork.

Frodo's wake-up/Fellowship Reunion

Legolas seems to be wearing the same shirt he wears in Lothlorien during Gandalf's lament and again during the drinking game in ROTK. The general consensus over at Alley Cat Scratch and other costume sites is that this is the undershirt from his Fellowship costume. I wish I could track down a good picture for you, but maybe I'll find one by the time I roll around to covering Legolas' general costume. Interestingly, you can see the close-up of his belt HERE, and it seems to have the same silver mallorn leaf design (I think) as the clasps on his coronation costume.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 3:15pm

Post #5 of 20 (13553 views)
Shortcut
that's a heck of an undershirt! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much better than a white cotton one made by Jockey! Smile

Thanks for doing some more research on this -- so if not a matched set, then the coronation robe is a dressed up version of casual elven clothing. I could see that...

And nice "belt" shot, too -- beautiful design and...I better stop there!

Weaver

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 23 2009, 6:17pm

Post #6 of 20 (13531 views)
Shortcut
That was so funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many moms with grown children who've moved out ... have told them: Look, I've asked you three times and now this is it, if you don't come pick up your junk from your old bedroom, I'm going to sell it!!

Sly

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Jun 23 2009, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 20 (13516 views)
Shortcut
I love this outfit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its very classy. My parents always said it looked like he was wearing a dress though... they like to make fun of Legolas' "pretty-boy" looks, as they call it (actually, they think it looks like the "suit" in the "My Favorite Martian" movie... Crazy). I love it, though. Its kinda sad actually, because you don't really get to see much of it in the film.

~ Henoluin ~

Lord of the Rings

TEAM McAVOY!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 23 2009, 7:46pm

Post #8 of 20 (13535 views)
Shortcut
Would the mallorn leaves imply... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the shirt is from Lothlorien? Mirkwood Elves wouldn't use that design would they?

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

frederica bolger
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 8:19pm

Post #9 of 20 (13551 views)
Shortcut
Did they make a Legolas dress-up doll? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be nice to have... on the other hand, they look ceremonial and sober while being very, very rich. I read somewhere the Elves were to be played by Japanese actors in early planning, perhaps the slight Oriental feel is still left from this idea?

And who's the very serious looking woman behind him? Looks like a 'named extra', perhaps one of the costume people?

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Artanis
Rohan

Jun 23 2009, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 20 (13475 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

is a very grand outfit. Definately mallorn leaves for clasp. Oh, I can just imagine the feel of that robe.

Artanis

Listening: LOTR soundrack
Random Delights: TORN, Facebook (and LOTRo, hopefully, one day..please)

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2009, 1:52am

Post #11 of 20 (13539 views)
Shortcut
so fitting for a Prince... [In reply to] Can't Post

but there was only a too-short glimpse of this in the film. I really like the styles of the collar and the sleeves on his robe. And the lining...and the detail of the fabric. wonder how the boots work. We are 4 days into some 95-98 degree temps and I am wondering about the breath-ability of the fabrics--looks like something a non-Elf might sweat bullets in! Unsure

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 24 2009, 4:17am

Post #12 of 20 (13508 views)
Shortcut
Elves sweating? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pfft - next you'll say that dirt adheres to their skin, or they get bidi-bids in their hair.

Perhaps the sweat evaporates directly into the World of Shadow. Hence their living in both worlds at once - fresh mountain air does wonders for a nose full of shadow-world funk. (Which might also explain the Nazguls' foul tempers...)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2009, 4:22am

Post #13 of 20 (13470 views)
Shortcut
Ha! just us non-Elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

of course I know Elves just glisten or gleam or something!

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jun 24 2009, 5:27am

Post #14 of 20 (13479 views)
Shortcut
Awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen these! That costume is beautiful! Like so many other costumes, it really is a shame that it didn't get more screentime. And of all the various Legolas figures Toy Biz threw at us, why couldn't they have made one of this outfit?

Thanks again, Arwen's daughter. Smile

"Expect me when you see me."

Elven
Valinor

Jun 24 2009, 9:00pm

Post #15 of 20 (13455 views)
Shortcut
Elves dont sweat - they perspire. [In reply to] Can't Post

Im sure Shirley Goldleaf Bassey-elf said that! Cool

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Elven
Valinor

Jun 24 2009, 9:14pm

Post #16 of 20 (13470 views)
Shortcut
Gosh ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked That is just the best costume on Orlando - the fabric is beautiful and the cut of the robe is exquisite - the silver suits him so well - and how perfect is his hair! Cool
Im wondering though about his eye colour here - I think Leggie has bluer eyes than that - maybe he didnt have his contacts in?

I love the sash and the pants - and the grey boots too.
Arrgghh - I really didnt take much notice of this outfit - possibly becasue I know Arwen is about to turn up - but I will certainly have a good look at it next time I watch the movies.

Thank-you Arwens daughter! Heart

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2009, 11:25am

Post #17 of 20 (13462 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing the detail they put into things that would never be seen on film [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Legolas' pants here, or his boots (such incredibly comfortable looking boots! I want a pair!). Or I'm sure some of you remember learning in the commentaries that the inside of Theoden's (or possibly Eomer's) breastplate had an inscription. What dedication these costumers had! I swear, this stuff belongs in a museum.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 25 2009, 6:30pm

Post #18 of 20 (13435 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it was a gift from Lady Galadriel? Or does the Fellowship take up this motif as a sort of badge of honor on their clothes? Could Legolas have found a silversmith in Gondor to have them made (and would he have had time)?

I think it's probably not a traditional Mirkwood design. I don't know what the filmmakers had in mind when they added the clasps, though.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2009, 4:39pm

Post #19 of 20 (13452 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* pieces that don't even show [In reply to] Can't Post

are stunning and too beautiful for description. That is with his outfit and his appearance. The costume is amazing... but the way they fitted it to him, the colouring, the length, their choice in Orlando for this part... it all comes together to take on a life of its own. Each of these characters and their costumes have moments too great for expression.

This is one of them. wow..... geez.... thank you so much! *runs back to look some more*

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 5:40pm

Post #20 of 20 (13242 views)
Shortcut
just [In reply to] Can't Post

wow

where is the action figure...........

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.