My Middle-earth - The Shire
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 22 2009, 8:32pm

Post #1 of 38 (3340 views)
Shortcut
My Middle-earth - The Shire Can't Post

I live in the beautiful county Devonshire, SW England and much of its landscape reminds me of Middle-earth, particulary The Shire. I wanted to share with everyone the photos I have taken in the country lanes just a stones throw from my house. I would like more people to share photos that remind you of The Shire. In the future I will post more photos' of other locations in my county that remind me of Middle-earth!

Not a very pretty butterfly but I thought it would be relevant to include ivy leaves because of the fellowship's brooches.

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Formerly known as Rosie!

cloudland
Bree

Jun 22 2009, 8:54pm

Post #2 of 38 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in the wood and I often see the forest as my private Lothlorien. Your Shire images are wonderful and I understand the feeling of 'being there'.

cloudland (kloud'land'), n. 1. the sky. 2. a region of daydreams, imaginations, etc.; dreamland.

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 22 2009, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 38 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you like them. I feel very lucky to live in the countryside.

Formerly known as Rosie!

Anorien
Rohan

Jun 22 2009, 10:04pm

Post #4 of 38 (2876 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look like the Shire!

The area that I live in reminds me of the area around Rivendell or the forests of Ithilien. My backyard though looks like a garden in the Shire, maybe even Gondor.

It's always nice when reality can remind you of something imaginary.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Sonic#
Bree

Jun 22 2009, 10:23pm

Post #5 of 38 (2879 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite pastoral... they are beautiful, and that's all that needs to be said. :)

EmynArnenLady
Rivendell

Jun 22 2009, 10:42pm

Post #6 of 38 (2908 views)
Shortcut
Idea stealer!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, so I'm not really mad...Wink But seriously, you totaly read my mind. I was thinking of posting pictures of my area that resembled/reminded me of Middle Earth and was going to suggest other's do the same. You totaly beat me too it! I guess that'll trach me to be such a procrastonater. Anywhoo, I've got a lot of places in mind but I kinda have to take pictures first.

Also, I just went on a HUGE hike with my little "Boo" up a nearby mountain this weekend and saw a LOT of "Middle Earth" on the way. Unfortunatly, I had no camera and all I had was my camera phone and I don't think they came out very well, plus I have NO ida how to transfer them to the computer. I'm hoping to go again soon and this time bring a legit camera with me.

BTW, those pics are AMAZING! England is so beautiful, I wish I could visit some day. You are so lucky to live in a place with such history and character!

Lego-mainiac and proud of it!!
(footer image to return soon when I have the time to fiddle with the resizing)

When true hearts lie withered, and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
- The last Rose of Summer, Thomas Moore

Crackle: "Those freakin' elves man....they came from the trees...they came from the trees!"
Pop: "Here's to Snap...." - (Family Guy Episode)

Luke Goss for Thranduil!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 3:54pm

Post #7 of 38 (2858 views)
Shortcut
I wish I lived in a place like that, [In reply to] Can't Post

just nature, as far as the eye can see. Tell me, can you see all of the stars at night?

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 38 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous countryside! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your photos! By all means, post more of them.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 4:49pm

Post #9 of 38 (2857 views)
Shortcut
I take it for granted sometimes... [In reply to] Can't Post

and have to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to step out of my door and have countryside a stones throw away. Some people are not so fortunate.
I can see a lot of stars but unfortunately I'm on the edge of a town and the glare of the street lights hides some of the stars. We had shooting stars a few years ago so I went to my Granny's house who lives further out in the country where we could see them better.
Thanks for looking at the photos!

Formerly known as Rosie!

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 4:54pm

Post #10 of 38 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you post some photos of where you live?

Imaginery helps me forget reality!

I think the next photos will be of Dartmoor National Park which remind me of the plains of Rohan.

Formerly known as Rosie!

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 38 (2863 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Formerly known as Rosie!

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 5:08pm

Post #12 of 38 (3141 views)
Shortcut
My powers of telepathy [In reply to] Can't Post

You have discovered my hidden talent!;) Great minds think alike :)

You're lucky to have mountains where you live; I'd have to travel to Wales to find the nearest mountain! And we are in this summer!

Thank-you. England is a great place to visit. Most tourists just go straight to London and stay there, but there is so much more to see. In the south-west we have great beaches, moorland, food and countryside, historical houses and castles and much more.

I'm looking forward to seeing your middle-earth :)

Formerly known as Rosie!

(This post was edited by Goldberry of the river on Jun 23 2009, 5:09pm)

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 23 2009, 5:10pm

Post #13 of 38 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Coming soon...Rohan// [In reply to] Can't Post

Formerly known as Rosie!

terrymerry
Rivendell

Jun 24 2009, 8:46am

Post #14 of 38 (2845 views)
Shortcut
beautiful county Devonshire [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful Photo`s ... what part of the Shire are you from. I live in Pinhoe , Exeter. Did know that Alan Lee hails from Chagford...

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 24 2009, 9:08am

Post #15 of 38 (2847 views)
Shortcut
Parish of Ivy Bridge :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently living in Ivybridge, which is 10 miles from Plymouth. It's a in great location but the town doesn't have much character. The river Erme that runs through the town is nice. I guess it's my Brandywine river. The photo of the river isn't the erme, just a little tributary river. Ivybridge is a commuter town for Plymouth and Exeter really. I've heard of Pinhoe but never been there. Does Alan Lee still live in Widdecombe? Where is Chagford? Again, I've just heard of it.

Formerly known as Rosie!

terrymerry
Rivendell

Jun 24 2009, 10:04am

Post #16 of 38 (2879 views)
Shortcut
Are you on the Took side or Baggins ...ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah! Ivybridge, been through many times, your so lucky having Dartmoor right on your doorstep, especially you being a photographer. Pinhoe (meaning hill in Anglo-saxon) once a village, has now become part of Exeter`s sprawl. I thought Alan lee and Brian Froud both lived around Chagford, it`s near Moretonhampstead to Easton then turn left. Goldberry would you mind telling me how do you go about, showing your photo`s in the Onering forum, as opposed to just a link?

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 24 2009, 5:33pm

Post #17 of 38 (2844 views)
Shortcut
Baggins by name, Took by nature [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm the only one really in my immediate family that wants to travel. I've been abroad twice in the past 7 months. I enjoy living in the countryside but I want to see the rest of the world. So I'm a Baggins because my family are but have a rebellious Took side. My grandad travelled a lot with the RAF so maybe that's where I get it from.

I can see the edge of Dartmoor when I look out my bedroom and living room window. It's a great place to get away for while because apart from the occasional walker all you see is grass, animals, stone and water. I've been on a few really long walks with my brother's dog and have sat atop 'Three Barrows' (the wights leave me alone because I'm Goldberry ;)). I would really like to go out there when it's misty and dull to get a photo of the barrow for a 'My Barrow Downs' thread lol but the moor is quite a forboding place in that kind of weather and not much fun and you can't see the views. Maybe one day when I'm feeling brave.

Exeter is a sprawl but I love the cathedral. I'm not christian, I just like the architecture and history. I haven't visited since the £4 charge came in, but have been enough times to remember it. I think the charge is a good idea because it needs to be preserved.

Maybe Alan has moved? I just remember him saying or reading that he lived in Widdecombe-in-the-moor. Or as the FOTR theatrical version dvd voice-over man says 'the village of Dartmoor'Laugh Hilarious!!

Here is the link for Magpie's guide for posting images. http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...tingImages/index.htm

Formerly known as Rosie!

Fool of a Took
Bree

Jun 24 2009, 6:01pm

Post #18 of 38 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I've lived in Florida for many years- very flat land with swamp and scrub. Not much to look at compared to the hilly forested New England where I was born. My wife and I are traveling to England in August- perhaps we might find time to stroll through Devonshire!

"Despair, or folly?" said Gandalf. "It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt."

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great."

http://hobbitmeals.wordpress.com

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 24 2009, 6:24pm

Post #19 of 38 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Visit Devon! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've said in this thread, most tourists just go to London but there is so much more to see. Devon is a lovely place for a holiday- sorry I mean vacation :).
www.visitdevon.co.uk You may find this website helpful. If you do visit, you have to get a cream tea! It's a scone cut in half with cream and jam accompanied by tea.

Formerly known as Rosie!

maher111

Jun 24 2009, 7:05pm

Post #20 of 38 (2838 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have the time, I would most definitely suggest you go own to Devon or Cornwall, very beautiful areas of our country.

Also as tourists, it would definitely be the kind you imagine as the archetypal image of England, I presume.

"We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds."

Fool of a Took
Bree

Jun 24 2009, 8:05pm

Post #21 of 38 (2884 views)
Shortcut
Cream tea! [In reply to] Can't Post

How bold of you to be so obvious as to tempt a hobbit with FOOD Smile

Looks LOVELY. SO looking forward to visiting.

"Despair, or folly?" said Gandalf. "It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt."

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great."

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 25 2009, 7:59am

Post #22 of 38 (2831 views)
Shortcut
Food! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it would tempt you! There is more yummy food in Devon to be eaten! Are you really going to visit? Also you will probably enjoy listening to the local accent which is the same as the hobbit accents in the movies (I don't have the accent). Sean Astin did very well with the accent. I particulary liked his "'ere!!" when he revealed his presense at the council of Elrond.

Formerly known as Rosie!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2009, 12:26pm

Post #23 of 38 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Lovely!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't yet visited SW England, even though I don't live very far away.

I live in Warwickshire, right on the border with the Cotswolds, and we've got some beautiful Shire-like landscapes too, I love it. Now that the summer is here, I can't wait to go walking and cycling round it all!

I'll try and find some photos to post at the weekend!

Fool of a Took
Bree

Jun 25 2009, 1:11pm

Post #24 of 38 (2837 views)
Shortcut
Visit to England [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife and I are visiting in the first couple weeks of August. However, I don't know if we will be able to get to the Devon. We are staying with friends in Petersborough, then staying in Oxford, then traveling up to Scotland for a little bit. I'll definitely be getting my Tolkien fix in Oxford, but a walk around the Devon "Shire" sounds great as well! We'll see!

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jun 25 2009, 6:14pm

Post #25 of 38 (2814 views)
Shortcut
Hope you can sometime [In reply to] Can't Post

and enjoy your stay in Petersborough and Oxford. Devon is far from those places, probably a 4 hour drive from Oxford.

Formerly known as Rosie!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.