The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
'Her Ladyship'

SaulComposer
Rohan

Jun 21 2009, 1:45pm

Post #1 of 12 (668 views)
Shortcut
'Her Ladyship' Can't Post

I have just completed rereading 'The Fellowship of the Ring' and 'The Two Towers' and began rereading 'The Return of the King'.
In 'The Two Towers' The Orcs of the Tower of Cirith Ungol called Shelob "Her Ladyship". Just to tell you that the wicked always exalt evil. They had some bad names for the good people such as Frodo and Samwise, but for them an evil assasin is called 'Her Ladyship', that is just so twisted, evil and horrible.

www.saulcomposer.com

(This post was edited by SaulComposer on Jun 21 2009, 1:48pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2009, 2:23pm

Post #2 of 12 (580 views)
Shortcut
It's like those cliche lines on kids' cartoons ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where the good guy will call the bad guy something like, "You evil, disgusting, lunatic!" And then the villain will reply, "Thank you." It's been done again and again, but in this situation with Shelob it has more class, in my opinion.

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Jun 21 2009, 2:23pm)

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 22 2009, 12:17am

Post #3 of 12 (538 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's pet [In reply to] Can't Post

They had better respect Shelob--she has Sauron's favor. Since Sauron occasionally commands orcs to drive captives into Shelob's lair, they know that it's worth their hide to say anything too disparaging about her.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Twit
Lorien

Jun 22 2009, 3:25pm

Post #4 of 12 (524 views)
Shortcut
it could be a bit sarcastic as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

They know not to get her angry but are taking the mick by calling her 'my lady'.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 22 2009, 3:32pm

Post #5 of 12 (523 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's how it comes across to me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

They know not to get her angry but are taking the mick by calling her 'my lady'.

I agree, I don't think it's said out of respect, it's more a kind of humorous/ironic way of talking about a creature they are both afraid of and disgusted by.

(It also emphasises the fact that Shelob is female, which I think is an important part of what makes her so creepily horrible.)

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

SaulComposer
Rohan

Jun 26 2009, 1:27pm

Post #6 of 12 (491 views)
Shortcut
Ladyship [In reply to] Can't Post

I really believe that they called her 'Ladyship' because evil creatures view evil as good and they view good as evil.

http://www.musicalpaintings.net/

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 26 2009, 2:17pm

Post #7 of 12 (492 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm sure they didn't call Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

her "Ladyship" for any reason.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 26 2009, 3:29pm

Post #8 of 12 (485 views)
Shortcut
What evil respects [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong--what I said doesn't contradict you, necessarily. Evil respects those tough enough to endanger them if they don't pay homage. But the value system isn't necessarily a straightforward negative image of normal values. It has its own distinct logic.

They would feel tempted to grumble against Shelob, because Shelob makes life hard for them (notice how the orcs trade complaints about how hard it is to deal with Shelob versus the Nazgul.) Evil hates anything that interferes with complete self indulgence, whether good or bad. But they also recognize and respect that Shelob does so to meet her own self indulgent agenda. They can identify with her, as they cannot with someone who restrains them out of moral indignation.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 26 2009, 4:42pm

Post #9 of 12 (481 views)
Shortcut
They grumble about the Nazgul too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Jun 27 2009, 8:51pm

Post #10 of 12 (497 views)
Shortcut
It isn't always that simple [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil people can and do hate each other; just look at Ugluk and Grishnakh, neither of which is a shining example of virtue.

But as to your question, consider Shagrat's word from 'The Choices of Master Samwise':

I thought her Sneak brought her a toy, or that you'd perhaps sent her a present, a prisoner of war or something.

I take from this that both the orcs of the City and of the Tower were often ordered to serve that lovely Lady, and their name for her makes sense.

"We always elected master from among the old and wise, and have not endured the rule of mere fighting men." - the Master of Lake-town.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2009, 10:22am

Post #11 of 12 (468 views)
Shortcut
Precisely :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wicked and evil they are, fersher... and I interpret their dubbing Shelob "her Ladyship" as a respectful sarcasm, since she's anything BUT a Lady; but she his the queen of Cirith Ungol.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 12 (506 views)
Shortcut
I think it’s said with affection [In reply to] Can't Post

or what passes for affection among orcs, and mocking humor.

We sometimes call our dog “His Lordship”, as in, “Have you accompanied His Lordship on his perambulation this afternoon?” or, “It is time for His Lordship to dine. We’re getting low on kibbles, BTW.”

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.