The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2009, 4:02am

Post #1 of 24 (413 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond! Can't Post

Good evening, fellow travelers. I hope your walks are going well. I actually was on last night and couldn't summon the will to post. I'll blame it on my cold. Let me just say, "Thag you very buch," for your patience. Have a good week, all!

Don’t forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the
Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursdays or Fridays.

Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

Where's Frodo?

Lady of Light
Rivendell

Jun 14 2009, 3:34am

Post #2 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
I have joined! [In reply to] Can't Post

Back on the 2nd actually. I've been going for bike rides around my neighbourhood about 3 times a week.

I gotta say though, I'd feel like I was doing more if it were tracked in kilometres instead of miles. I go 5 or 6 km a time, but then I convert it and have only gone 3 miles. Crazy

So far I've reached the hobbits' first night supper! Cool

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?"
"No! Well yes, but that's not the point..."

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2009, 3:56am

Post #3 of 24 (224 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Lady of Light! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that is a bummer when you haven't gone as far as you thought, but just keep going and you'll get there! If you go 3 miles 3 times a week, that's 9 miles -- a good stretch of the legs! I bike too, but rarely have a week where I equal a days' march for Frodo and Sam.Frown Aren't they amazing?

Glad to have you on board!

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 14 2009, 11:27am

Post #4 of 24 (244 views)
Shortcut
*tosses zinc at FF* I'm sorry you're ailing, m'dear :{ [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer cold... SO NOT FAIR! Here you were all set for bike riding and walking and warm-weather fun! I hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

I've had FABULOUS WEATHER and have been able to take my dog Puddifoot for short walks now that the 2 closeby farms don't have their dogs running. I think that's my biggest "pet" peeve is that people out here (in the country) just leave their beasts loose. I've been bitten about 3 times and chased more than I like to remember.... screaming "NAZGUL!!!" all the way!

Thanks for keeping us on the path even when you're under the weather yourself. You take care... and that goes for all of our fellow walkers! CHEERS ALL!! :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 14 2009, 12:08pm

Post #5 of 24 (221 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Welcome to the Quest!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

This is SO COOL! Oh geez... 3 miles if fantastic! If you're able to do that 2 or 3 times a week, that'll put you well on your way. One step at a time :D

I need to pull my bike out of the garage and start using it more. I've been blocked by a family of raccoons tucked away where I've stored the bike, so I've been hesitant to disrupt them until the babes get old enough for me to CHASE THEM OUT!! Oh the mess ;)

I'm so tickled you're on the road and well on your way! WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME and Tally Ho!!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 14 2009, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 24 (220 views)
Shortcut
Hi frodo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear that you have a cold and hope you feel better soon!

All the little bears have been poorly so we've barely walked anywhere, we may get one back to school tomorrow but who knows . . .

Welcome lady of light to the walk and good luck, I expect you'll pass us in no time!!

Gramma, hope the baby racoons are big enough soon so you can get your bike out.

Best wishes to every one!

The boys are back in town!!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 15 2009, 12:01pm

Post #7 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
Hang in there, FF! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully that cold will be short-lived! And with global warming, you've got more summer to enjoy than ever before, so losing a bit to a cold isn't so bad. See, EVERY cloud has a silver lining (or an arbitrary definition of "silver").

Things are moving along quickly here - after a botched sing-a-long attempt on my part at Saruman's tower (seems he's not known for THAT kind of voice - Gandy was quite peeved at me when I broke into a little ditty I like to call "Oh a wizards staff has a knob on the end", Gandalf just OGGled at me when I told him I learned that one from my old Nanny....). Now I'm off with Gandy and Pip on a rousing little horseride to some Mathametician's home (or so I gather, since only one of them would name their city "Minus").

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 15 2009, 12:02pm

Post #8 of 24 (226 views)
Shortcut
Gramma - you crack me up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rogue, biting farm dogs, raccoon nests, what's next?!

Notta

EmynArnenLady
Rivendell

Jun 15 2009, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
Think about... [In reply to] Can't Post

joining. I've een trying to find a good excorcise program that I can stick will and not fall off the wagon after a few weeks. I've been wanting to get out and hike all the trails around here and I think in combination with WTRAB, I think I can do it! Starting this weekend, since my hubby is out of town for two weeks, I think I'll start. The only think is though I'll have to bring my daughter along (she's 3 almost 4), and I'm not sure how much she'll tolerate it. I'll probably have to wait untill hubby is back so he can either join us or watch her while I'm gone. I really need to get back into shape and have been trying to since little "Boo" was born. Any tips might help. I hope to get started soon!

Oh, and I hope you feel better. Colds stink, no matter when you get them. Get better soon!

Lego-mainiac and proud of it!!
(footer image to return soon when I have the time to fiddle with the resizing)

When true hearts lie withered, and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
- The last Rose of Summer, Thomas Moore

Crackle: "Those freakin' elves man....they came from the trees...they came from the trees!"
Pop: "Here's to Snap...." - (Family Guy Episode)

Luke Goss for Thranduil!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2009, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... the baby bears have been sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor little tykes. :( I think summer-time illness should be outlawed.

I hope your family gets back on the road and daily routines real soon :)

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2009, 4:31pm

Post #11 of 24 (208 views)
Shortcut
*Bwahaha!* Minus! I Get It :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And we all know a wizard needs a hobbit and a Notta around to keep them on their toes ;)

Cheers NottaSackville!! *high five*

sample

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 15 2009, 4:33pm

Post #12 of 24 (213 views)
Shortcut
Oh, it has been a great motivator for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing it on and off (mostly on) for 3.5 years now. Of course, being the obsessive numbers-guy I am, I keep a lengthy record, have an Excel program that charts my progress, etc. It's fun, and charting my progress allows me to see when my "Actual" line is dipping below my "Goal" line....

Notta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2009, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 24 (208 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* Oh! Please DO join :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it's just a small walk with your "Boo", it's a great time to spend together and still start out nice and easy on your walking :D Hubby will be impressed when he gets back and sees how much progress you've made, and your youngin' will get in the wonderful hobbit... I mean... habit of enjoying quiet walks on those wonderful paths.

What I did was to go into the "Tool" section of the website in Finding Frodo's link and cut and pasted all of the mileage lists into a Word file. Then I'd keep track of how many miles I walked each week and could see how far I've gone with the Fellowship. It really gives you an appreciation for the story AND gives you in incentive to keep walking... one step at a time. Or riding bikes, or swimming, or whatever exercise you're doing... even yard work can be converted to mileage.

I also went to the store (Wal-Mart in this case) and got a pedometer for $5 that helps me keep track of how much I've walked. It's very gratifying to have an easier method of noting how far I've actually walked rather than just guessing.

START THIS WEEK! You'll really enjoy it. The hardest part of starting a new habit is getting started ;) Then you'll be hooked in no time!

Cheers, EmynArnenLady! See you on the road :D

sample

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2009, 7:49pm

Post #14 of 24 (223 views)
Shortcut
Summer cold? Same here ... [In reply to] Can't Post

My son got it in school and passed it on to my husband and I. How thoughtful! I've been chugging decongestant, ibuprofen, and zinc lozenges. not to mention hot herbal tea. Just have to ride it out, I suppose. Hope you are feeling better soon, FF!

Anyhow, I'm still paddling down Anduin. Just passed the North Undeeps; still a long way to go.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jun 15 2009, 7:49pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 16 2009, 12:00am

Post #15 of 24 (207 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! [In reply to] Can't Post

And THERE YOU GO! I think keeping walking with the charts from Karen Wynn Fonstad makes it so much more fun and gratifying. The charts stop after the Battle of the 5 Armies; so I'm working on one to take us from the Mountain to Beorn's then to Rivendell and ultimately to Hobbiton. I've also got one going on for going to the Havens again with Sam many years after his last trip there. It's a different route. More like the return journey after leaving Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and the others. I'll let y'all know when I get them done :)

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 16 2009, 12:06am

Post #16 of 24 (205 views)
Shortcut
*passes Idril box of puffy tissues* How sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

for your son to share :) It seems that these colds are really harsh and love to hang on. I hope you all feel better VERY soon. Hang in there!

sample

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2009, 4:38am

Post #17 of 24 (202 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do feel better, although people keep asking me, "Oh, do you have a cold?" when I talk to themCrazy. Anyway, I just want to send Idril and the bear cubs some get-well wishes, thank gramma for responding to everyone, high-five the new walkers, and wish everyone a good week.

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 16 2009, 9:04am

Post #18 of 24 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well...I'm still watching for the Mother Ship ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 16 2009, 1:11pm

Post #19 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great, Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be a while before I need them, but I'm glad you're doing that!

Notta

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 16 2009, 6:48pm

Post #20 of 24 (197 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our daughter went back to school Monday, our eldest son went back today but only lasted a couple hours before he had to be picked up again. Think he is just totally wiped out from what hes had. Our youngest is still suffering from bronguitist ( probably spelt that wrong) and today came up in a rash on all his joints.The docter said she thought it was something he`d touched in the garden,we think it was a reaction to what he`s had,however by this afternoon it had all gone. Anyway i finish work tonight for a couple days and can take some of the looking after off Bearwen so she can prepare for her job interview early next week. Thanks again for thinking of them and have a good week.

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 16 2009, 6:50pm

Post #21 of 24 (199 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Frodo for the get well wishes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you are starting to feel a bit better and hope you have a good week.

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 16 2009, 6:52pm

Post #22 of 24 (197 views)
Shortcut
Hope you and your family all feel better soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2009, 3:29am

Post #23 of 24 (190 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell...and beyond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good evening, fellow travelers. I hope your walks are going well. I sort of lost track of where I was, but must have reached the Dawnless Day by now with gardening alone! That's what a pickup-load of mulch and a wheelbarrow will do for a person. From TTT "Journey to the Crossroads":

On the further edge of this broad hill-back they stayed their march and crawled for hiding underneath a tangled knot of thorns. Their twisted boughs, stooping to the ground, were overridden by a clambering maze of old briars. Deep inside there was a hollow hall, raftered with dead branch and bramble, and roofed with the first leaves and shoots of spring. There they lay for a while, too tired yet to eat; and peering out through the holes in the covert they watched for the slow growth of day.
But no day came, only a dead brown twilight.

Well, gee, on these summer mornings, I appreciate a good cloud cover that keeps my kids sleeping. Laugh When it's clear, they get up at the crack of dawn and get way too tired and crabby by the afternoon.

We're about to fall off page one, but if you're reading this, have a good week!

Where's Frodo?

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 19 2009, 7:05am

Post #24 of 24 (257 views)
Shortcut
Good morning Frodo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you are well and over the worst of your cold and not too tired out from all that gardening. Our two boys are still off school so our walk to Rivendell has ground to a halt in the Chetwood. Strider and the Hobbits are well fed up with the delay, so some major catching up is in need when they are well again. I can sympathise with you when your children wake early,as our boys whatever the weather are up and about as early as 5.30 most days. Thanks again for keeping this going every week and hope you and family have a great weekend whatever you get up too.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.