Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Weta Workshop - part 3-2 - Armour

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2009, 7:20pm

Post #1 of 8 (221 views)
Shortcut
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Weta Workshop - part 3-2 - Armour Can't Post

Hello TORNsibs, this is the third discussion from the WETA workshop series - part 2 and I continue posting here images of Armour. In this subthread I will post images of the already made armour and some interesting elements of it. Blush Thank you for stopping by and welcome to the wonderful world of WETA! Smile And Happy Friday!

This is only the variety of different arrows they designed:

And an Elven arrow - look at the top of it - there is an element that looks like a small circle but in fact it repeats the theme of nature and leaves! On the top of an arrow! Shocked

Speaking of arrows, here is Legolas's quiver and his fighting knives attached to it - Richard Taylor explained they were attached in such a way that he could take them both out at the same time easily as he does during the battle before Boromir's death.

I love the way the handles were designed to represent wood - for a wood Elf! Not to speak about the writings and decor which I find amazing!

Next - gloves. Even on the gloves, on each single finger, there were writings, runes or drawings typical for the particular culture!

Did you know that Gimli had five different axes designed especially for him to use for different purposes? I didn't This is only one of them - his preferred one among the fighting ones.

Again, runes and dwarven design all over it!

Did you know that Viggo asked what would happen when his sword was not that sharp anymore and they designed a belt for him to accomodate a sharpening stone? Cool This guy was into it, wasn't he? Wink

Speaking of swords, here is one of the well-known ones - Glamdring. On all swords there were of course writings to make them stronger. Spells, in other words. Richard Taylor says they were Elvish. Apparently, the Elvish spells had proven best for the purpose as no other culture was celebrated on the swords. Wink

And the sword Viggo carries and uses before he gets Anduril is here. We have discussed it many times, so I'll just point at the little knife which was designed to be used for hunting or carving, it wasn't a fighting knife but just a helpful gadget. Smile Viggo said the scene where he carries a deer was among the scenes when he thought such a knife would be handy for Aragorn.

And finally, something that really wowed me when I saw the close-up:

This of course is part of the Elven armour from the time of the Last Alliance. Richard Taylor was explaining they weer looking for a way to tell the audience about the spring of Elves, of the golden ages, of the nature which they loved, of their attitude toward growing things.. Well, I think they did it. I have never seen something so delicate and yet, made of steel. Heart

This is all from this part of the Appendices for today. I will post a short bonus thread tomorrow. Thank you all for participating. I know there are hundreds of other caps which deserve to be shown and it was extremely difficult for me to choose but hopefully, you had fun and thanks again for participating! Heart

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on food, cooking, wine and other life pleasures

I believe

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 13 2009, 1:09am

Post #2 of 8 (61 views)
Shortcut
Those are great images! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, the work they put into the main characters' weapons is just really amazing...you can see that for someone like Viggo, who places a high value on "authentic" experiences, this kind of effort would be really appreciated and honored.

I like, too, how all the weapons really suited the people they were designed for -- and look like the kinds of things that would be produced by the different cultures. Immortal elves, for example, have all the time in the world to make things, so they can spend time making handles look like wood, putting runes into everything, etc.

If you knew nothing about dwarves or elves, you could infer a lot just by looking at the weapons and armor made for these films. In some ways, Legolas' quiver/arrows and knives and Gimli's helmet/axes have as much personality as their owners!

Weaver

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 13 2009, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it just me or does it look like Aragorn's sharpening stone would fall out of its little holder pretty easily?

I wonder how many times he has to backtrack across the wilderness looking for it. Laugh

(This post was edited by Runk Snusgrop on Jun 13 2009, 2:05pm)

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Jun 13 2009, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 8 (52 views)
Shortcut
Aragornís extra knife [In reply to] Can't Post

We have discussed it many times, so I'll just point at the little knife which was designed to be used for hunting or carving, it wasn't a fighting knife but just a helpful gadget. Viggo said the scene where he carries a deer was among the scenes when he thought such a knife would be handy for Aragorn.

The first time that I saw this it reminded me of a hunting knife that I have. The scabbard for the hunting knife has a smaller scabbard attached to the front of it that holds a pocket knife. The pocket knife is a kind of Swiss army knife sort of thing.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:27am

Post #5 of 8 (40 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I so much agree with you - the weapons tell their own story but they also tell the story of the owner in an extraordinary way! Somehow, I keep thinking these movies were blessed by something/someone somewhere as the actors fitted so well into the roles, that their armour becane part of their personality. As I look at every axe or arroe now, I imagine Gimli or legola, or Haldir, or someone else depending on the weapon but I'm never left without an image in my head! And this is beautiful!

As about Viggo, Richard Taylor praises him for his attitude towards the sword. he says Viggo treated it like a "holly relic" and it was very good and motivating for the smiths and all the staff to see an actor showing such a respect. Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:31am

Post #6 of 8 (37 views)
Shortcut
Hm... he was a Ranger though... [In reply to] Can't Post

Experienced in finding stuff. Wink

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:33am

Post #7 of 8 (38 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, so you've seen such a structure in the RL - that's very neat! Thanks for sharing, I thought they came up with something highly original but apparently it was not so. Blush

I believe

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2009, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 8 (39 views)
Shortcut
*swoon* What gets me [In reply to] Can't Post

is that looking at these pics and your most excellent observations and comments for each one has me a a'twitter as I realized that these are real! Yeah, I know... they're right there. NO! I mean these weapons and armour and all... as well as the characters who carry them... are the real thing for the real people for real use in our real Middle-earth. Of course, I know that Middle-earth is a real place and all. But sometimes I don't realize that it's gone beyond the fiction and the genius story and are authentic and plausible.

Viggo's made it real with the very logical and practical ideas of what Strider would need and use. The runes on the gloves. The axes for different purposes. This is all so beautiful and sometimes... during excellent posts like yours... it just floods over me. I feel so lucky and thrilled.

Thank you! This is fabulous :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.