Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Weta Workshop - part 3-1 - Armour

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2009, 6:53pm

Post #1 of 9 (187 views)
Shortcut
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Weta Workshop - part 3-1 - Armour Can't Post

Hello TORNsibs, this is the third discussion from the WETA workshop series and I am posting here images of Armour. This section will be separated into two subthreads as there are too many interesting caps and I can't leave any of them behind. Blush Thank you for stopping by and welcome to the wonderful world of WETA! Smile And Happy Friday!

here are some drawings for those of you who, like me, haven't been able to notice the details on the real armour:

What impresses me most is again the way they thought of these costumes and weapons like they were going to be used for real, if you know what I mean. Every single detail is made to exist and be useful in a real battle. Richard Taylor even shares that most of the actors preferred to use the true, steel weapons and not the rubber ones which I believe was part of this reality they were all living in - the Middle Earth reality and not ours. Now, can anyone tell me who is who on the last cap? I think the first one is Elf, but the other ones I can't guess. Blush

Next, we go to the smiths' corner where a real fire was on all the time!

And acidic mixture was used to "eat" the metal and make it look old and damaged in battles:

I just wanted to share my admiration because in this case I think they walked not one but lots of extra miles. Two smiths working above a real fire and using real hammers to work the metal while hot - well, that's over the top, isn't it? In my opinion, the amount of work put into these weapons was one of the reasons why they were so appreciated by the actors. Something related to "I put my soul in it" and the way such work affects other people.

And at the end, someone has to walk in this! Any ideas how much this weighs? Or how hot it is inside? I think this is a heroism itself to fight dressed like that! Crazy

And again, I want to point out the decoration of even the under armour which is not seen usually - there is kind of a lace decoration, the bad guys have their armour "eaten" by the acid, all is designed to speak itself! Amazing! *Off to post the second one* Cool

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on food, cooking, wine and other life pleasures

I believe

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 13 2009, 1:01am

Post #2 of 9 (60 views)
Shortcut
John Howe's influence.... [In reply to] Can't Post

John Howe, IIRC, is an expert of sorts on armor, isn't he? Is it this feature with the shot of him in a full suit of armor? I can't recall...but I do think he had a great deal of influence on the finer points of making this stuff...

I, too, really got a kick out of the fact that they actual smiths in the 'armory". In RL, I do some work with re-enactors (1700-1800' era/US and Canadian). The guys who do blacksmithing that I know would be thrilled to have a chance to work on a project that valued the skills they have perfected as part of trying to understand and present life in another time.

Does anyone know if these two smiths on the crew were part of the reforging of Narsil into Anduril, on screen? Now that would be the ultimate!

Thanks for the mighty fine images! What a treat!

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Jun 13 2009, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 9 (52 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Taylor even shares that most of the actors preferred to use the true, steel weapons and not the rubber ones which I believe was part of this reality they were all living in - the Middle Earth reality and not ours.

That is probably how Viggo got his tooth broken and Bernard Hill ended up having to get several stitches in his ear. Oh well, boys canít play without getting hurt. Wink

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:17am

Post #4 of 9 (44 views)
Shortcut
It was him [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, John Howe is an expert and a fan:

And your idea about the two smiths reforging Anduril in the movie is brilliant, weaver!!! Now I'm dying to find out but don't recall anything about it in the Appendices... Unsure I'm very happy you enjoyed the images! Heart

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:19am

Post #5 of 9 (42 views)
Shortcut
Ahm hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Right! Boys play hard! Cool

I believe

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 14 2009, 1:21am

Post #6 of 9 (43 views)
Shortcut
oh, thanks for the picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

I "thought"Howe was an armor expert/fan, but didn't have time to go back and check the DVD to find out for sure...thanks for confirming it!

He looks pretty good in armor, doesn't he?Smile

Weaver

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2009, 1:29am

Post #7 of 9 (38 views)
Shortcut
He has this knight-ish glow around him :) Reminds me of Don Quixote // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 14 2009, 1:56am

Post #8 of 9 (42 views)
Shortcut
that's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew he reminded me of someone in that outfit -- you nailed it.

He's such a thin guy, and with that hair, he does look like some of the illustrations of Don Quixote...nice!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2009, 4:55pm

Post #9 of 9 (44 views)
Shortcut
Looking at those forgers/smithies [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to smile as I picture them in orc outfits in the dungeons of Isengard working on the Uruk-hai weapons.

Now, can anyone tell me who is who on the last cap? I think the first one is Elf, but the other ones I can't guess

I'm thinking those armoured gauntlets and leg-gear are either for Nazgul or the Mouth of Sauron. They seem to be the ones that work that type of layer... also scale-like... design. I think a lot of that design came from John Howe. I know he's quite prolific at medieval armour and weapons, and he talks in the commentaries about having trouble getting his full-armour pieces onto the plane ;)

Walking in that stuff? Especially in the summer!? Do we now know what a can of tuna feels like? *shudder* Even if they were wearing the light-weight plastic replicas of the real armour... you'd cook!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.