Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo: "No Pressure"

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jun 10 2009, 7:24pm

Post #1 of 10 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo: "No Pressure" Can't Post

Guillermo del Toro has claimed that he is not feeling any pressure working on highly-anticipated Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit.

The Hellboy director told Radio 5 Live's Simon Mayo that he isn't worried about matching the critical and commercial successor of Peter Jackson's fantasy trilogy.

He said: "Frankly no. If I live the experience like that I would go insane. I don't know if there's a compartment in my brain that just doesn't register those things. I feel an enormous responsibility but not to the results, either by Oscars or box office."

He continued: "I have an enormous responsibility to a book I adore and to a legacy of a world. Creatively I feel very responsible and very daunted, but honoured, doing this."

Del Toro admitted that preparing the epic two-movie adaptation of JRR Tolkien's novel has been demanding: "I go to work at 9am. We open The Hobbit office 9am to 8pm. We are working on the screenplay [and] designing creatures at WETA.

"The first movie, if it stays on schedule, comes out 2011. The second movie 2012, Christmas time."

The story reported on Radio 5 Live can be found at Digital Spy.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Theodred
Lorien

Jun 10 2009, 9:08pm

Post #2 of 10 (380 views)
Shortcut
You might want to hear what GdT exactly said in this interview... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can listen to this interview by clicking on this link:

Code

It's from 01:47:20 until 02:17:45

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 10 2009, 9:28pm

Post #3 of 10 (332 views)
Shortcut
There's also a direct link. [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted a link a little further down the board, here. That one is just the GDT interview with Simon Mayo - you can listen to it as streaming audio or download it as a podcast.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Theodred
Lorien

Jun 10 2009, 9:32pm

Post #4 of 10 (334 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo has said Hugo Weaving is back! At 02:10:55! (Slip of the tongue?) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is news I haven't heard before, so Hugo Weaving is also certain of a role in The Hobbit, so he can be added to the list of actors!

(This post was edited by Theodred on Jun 10 2009, 9:38pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2009, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 10 (349 views)
Shortcut
I don't like this part... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The first movie, if it stays on schedule, comes out 2011. The second movie 2012, Christmas time."

IF it stays on schedule? That's not promising, is there any particular reason why it wouldn't?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Theodred
Lorien

Jun 10 2009, 11:59pm

Post #6 of 10 (314 views)
Shortcut
I'm just guessing, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he said it because there is a possibility that for instance the judge could postpone the Lawsuit, because the matter's is too complicated and he will need more time for it, and because of that they can't be certain they can start shooting The Hobbit,and this will delay everything. Or, on the other hand, he could have said it in a flow of words, without really realizing that he said it, that happens to everyone sometimes I guess.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 11 2009, 12:20am

Post #7 of 10 (293 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling he's just hedging his bets [In reply to] Can't Post

So many of GDT's plans have been delayed, I get the feeling he doesn't want to say anything for sure until it's official. A lot could happen between now and Dec. 2011.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jun 11 2009, 12:56pm

Post #8 of 10 (246 views)
Shortcut
Or.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe there are thoughts that a summer 2012 release date for The Hobbit would better take advantage of much larger box office receipts, then have The Hobbit, Part II come out in December 2012 to set things up for the Oscars and awards season. I suppose the economic downturn might have some influence on business decisions...

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Elven
Valinor

Jun 11 2009, 6:44pm

Post #9 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
I think thats a consideration ... [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe investors are also holding back due to this lawsuit, not that the film may not go ahead specifically, but maybe there's a proportional shift - to still invest, but not as much - add the economics of the last year and the forecast projectives for the future, and I think the combination does impact in some way - thought the Hobbit maybe different. The investors of LOTR films were paid back first (as far as I can remember - where's VtF Smile) but Im sure the accounts will be overseen and scrutinized with a fine tooth comb this time around - and this maybe well make people cautious.

I have said since 2004 (yes, since then) there maybe delays - but Im not ready to take GdT's comment out of context just yet. October the 9th may shine some light on this though - but it may not finnish there, nor be the reason.

Thanks Dive Twin Smile
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Sunflower
Valinor

Jun 12 2009, 3:10am

Post #10 of 10 (238 views)
Shortcut
And here's something else... [In reply to] Can't Post

A nasty little thought that has been niggling at my brain.

Maybe Guillermo will delay making casting announcements until after the results of the trial...wouldn't want to jump out of the gate too early before the project was "safe", would be his or the studio's thinking.

When we--and the studio--know that revealing major casting, such as Bilbo, could have the opposite--and welcome--effect that we need, of bringing to the project an invevitabilty and legitimacy that would sway the judge and jury! This might be a rarecase in which the merchantile instinct would be welcome....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.