The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Searching the old boards

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 2:22am

Post #1 of 25 (508 views)
Shortcut
Searching the old boards Can't Post

I've been trying to find a post from the old TORn. I thought I recalled that instructions on how to find posts from the old boards were posted somewhere not too long ago, but I've been looking and just can't find them. So now in addition to searching for the old post that I'm actually looking for, I've been searching for the new post that tells how to search for old posts .... I'm not finding either and I'm kind of in an endless loop :-). Could someone please rescue me by posting those instructions again? Thanks :-).

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 9 2009, 2:40am

Post #2 of 25 (352 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of [In reply to] Can't Post

But when the old boards were winding down, a call went out for collections of links to discussions that people had accumulated. That thread (at the old boards) is here:
http://archives.theonering.net/...5CE02F9000037CE.html

One of the posts is by weaver with her links which were being hosted at my geocities site. That site is shutting down and the new home for those links is in transition but I'll let you know how to access them by PM.

I don't know if there was ever a system set up for searches. I think it was all this collection of links. But I might be wrong.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2009, 2:56am

Post #3 of 25 (334 views)
Shortcut
There was a search function [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was disabled soon after the release of the first movie and the deluge of new board members (including myself). I don't think it was ever enabled again.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 9 2009, 3:27am

Post #4 of 25 (336 views)
Shortcut
Someone might have a link to a given post. [In reply to] Can't Post

So if you can tell us something about it, maybe someone can help. But if not, there's no easy way to search the old boards, except for the Reading Room, which has been indexed.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us June 8-14 for "Inside Information".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2009, 8:10am

Post #5 of 25 (323 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

When used by too many people or to search too far back, it slowed the whole board down and sometimes the entire site. Ah, the good old days.... Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 12:03pm

Post #6 of 25 (309 views)
Shortcut
There's no 'easy' way? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is there no way at all? I don't mind searching through a lot of posts to find the one I'm looking for, but is there actually a way to search? Or other than links and archives, is there a way to search using keywords, for example, that type of search?

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 12:04pm

Post #7 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again [In reply to] Can't Post

These are goldmines. I could read them for hours :-).
But the post I'm looking for was not something in any of the regular discussions, that it would have been archived.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 12:12pm

Post #8 of 25 (307 views)
Shortcut
Is there a way to *get* to the old boards? [In reply to] Can't Post

When you go to "Old TORn Site", it shows news from 2007, but if you click on the link to Discussion there, it brings you to the new boards. Is there a way to look at the old boards anymore? Do they actually exist anymore out there in cyber space or were they 'destroyed'?

I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, but I don't know much about web sites or how information is stored or removed from the Internet.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 9 2009, 1:12pm

Post #9 of 25 (309 views)
Shortcut
No way to search. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can get to the old boards via the new boards' welcome forum. But the old boards can't be searched.

We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2009, 1:19pm

Post #10 of 25 (323 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to the old Main discussion board [In reply to] Can't Post

From there you should be able to get to the other boards.

http://archives.theonering.net/...mill/main/index.html

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 9 2009, 1:37pm

Post #11 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
And, you can only see so far back [In reply to] Can't Post

You can set the boards to show posts only so far back and beyond that, unless you have a direct link, you cannot get to them. So, you can't just browse all the way back to the beginning. I have tried more than once to track down an old comment of mine but they're lost.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 2:26pm

Post #12 of 25 (316 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

some talk once of trying to convert the discussions on the old boards into a more readable (and searchable?) format. That would be a real treasure if it could be done.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 3:18pm

Post #13 of 25 (301 views)
Shortcut
It really would be [In reply to] Can't Post

Just looking through the links has me shaking my head again in appreciation at how articulate and witty and knowledgeable so many discussions were.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 3:21pm

Post #14 of 25 (311 views)
Shortcut
The way is shut. It was made by those who were admins [In reply to] Can't Post

and the admins keep it.

Tongue

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 3:23pm

Post #15 of 25 (304 views)
Shortcut
You bring great curiosity with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

you can go no further.

Tongue

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 3:33pm

Post #16 of 25 (306 views)
Shortcut
And yet there lie in his boards many records that few now can read... [In reply to] Can't Post

even of the lore-masters, for their scripts and programming have become dark to later men.

Tongue

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jun 9 2009, 3:34pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 9 2009, 3:47pm

Post #17 of 25 (319 views)
Shortcut
57,000 views. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people look at the old boards using these links. As Magpie says, you can't look back very far, however. Older posts can be found (dating back to 2001) only if one has a link specifically to the thread in question.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Jun 9 2009, 3:49pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 4:21pm

Post #18 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
Then I must be doing something wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

When I click on the link for the old Main, it shows me what appear to be the posts from the last few days of the old board.

So that works. However when I try to select a time period other than "Automatic", it just brings me a blank screen. It will say at the top "Display Messages" from 2 weeks ago (for example), but then below that, there are no posts, it's just blank. It looks like the longest back you can select is 1 year ago. But regardless, whatever I select, there are no posts if I choose anything other than "Automatic".

If everyone else is able to view old posts that way, then I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. Any suggestions?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 9 2009, 4:46pm

Post #19 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
You're doing nothing wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't (or shouldn't) open up the old boards for more (or at least much more) than what they automatically show. To ask more than that, if the board even cooperate, puts too much strain on the server. Particularly on Main, which was the most active of the old boards, with something like a million posts made before the switch to the new forums in 2007. The old posts are all still there (back to January 2001), but almost inaccessible -- unless you have a specific link. (I have links to a few hundred threads on Main and Movie, and to all 12,241 available threads in the Reading Room -- the latter made available to everyone via the welcome message in the new RR.)

However, note that when you change the display to show the past two weeks, you're asking it to display the past two weeks from now, not from when the boards were closed in 2007. And since there were no posts made there in the past two weeks, the board shows you nothing.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2009, 5:05pm

Post #20 of 25 (309 views)
Shortcut
If I am understanding you correctly, those 57,000 views [In reply to] Can't Post

were 57,000 views of those particular pages showing the last few days of posts of each of the boards? And no one can go further back then the earliest post on those pages?

For instance, when I click on the Main link, the post at the very bottom of what I see as the Main page is Dernwyn's from 3/9/2007:
They seem so...quaint...now...and quiet...*sigh* (No Text) <dernwyn> [3/9/2007 @ 12:42] (0/0)
So for the old Main board, is that the limit for everyone, beyond that, no one can go further back in time?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 9 2009, 5:55pm

Post #21 of 25 (318 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think that Altaira's links post on the new boards has been viewed some 57,000 times by people who then proceeded to the old boards and found that they couldn't see much. That's disappointing, but at least the material is still there and not utterly lost. (For the most part: I track threads one by one, by fiddling with the post URLs, and there seem to be some gaps here and there on Main where many, many posts have been deleted -- Oct. 1-2, 2003, for instance.)

When the old boards were functioning, as I recall, we were advised that at quiet times, we were allowed to set Main and Movie (which sometimes turned over in less than a day) to display as far back as three days, and we were allowed to look back in the Reading Room a week or two. Since the boards closed, I know that people have set the display to opened up the boards to view a bit more than that, but --and I turn to the admins for clarification-- I think that shouldn't be done. Still, with a little arithmetic, you can probably open old Main safely to show as much as a week (i.e., six days before that "pondering" thread by Inferno) but not more.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 10 2009, 4:58am

Post #22 of 25 (324 views)
Shortcut
Here's a post you made in 2006. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not what you were looking for, but:
--Looking for a good synopsis of LOTR

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 20 2009, 4:12pm

Post #23 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
Ok this is weird! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was not the one I was originally trying to find, but it was on my list of other ones I wanted to go back and get, if it turned out the old boards were searchable. Amazing!

I assume, you had this bookmarked / linked in your own files?

Thank you . . now at least I know enough to bookmark it!

In Reply To

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2009, 4:40pm

Post #24 of 25 (370 views)
Shortcut
don't forget you can also save things [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are looking at a page on the old TORn boards, you can save the page on your computer. (File > Save Page as)

There are two ways to do it.

One is 'web page, html only' which will save the text but not the images. The other is 'web page, complete'. That will save the images, as well.

Once the page is saved, you always have access to it. Even if TORn were to disappear, that page would still be on your computer. You do not have to be on the internet to view the page.

Some things to keep in mind. There is code on that page that remains active. So, for example, if you don't save the images to your computer, the code on the page still tries to look for the images and it's being told to look for them at TORn. If you are online. It will find them at TORn and display them. If you are not online, it will show red x's.

Also, there is often code that says, "go look for this ad" or similar types of stuff that will spit back an error message if you're not online and the browser can't find it. It will say something like, "Looking for ... can't find..." I just shut the window down or tell it to stop looking or shut off or whatever. (Since I'm permanantly online, I don't get these sorts of messages anymore and can't remember much about them.)

Also, what's on your computer is only what you can see on the page. If you want to follow a link, then you will need to be online. If you saved a page that is only displaying one message with a tree of links to the other messages in the thread... and you want to access another message by clicking on a link, then that will take you back to TORn's old boards. What's at the end of the link is not on your computer.

Sometimes, if the coding on a page is complicated, it's a pain to try to have it on your computer. But it's a surefire way of keeping it accessible. I now save quite a bit this way because sites go offline. And with TORn's old boards being creaky, it would make more sense to have that favorite post - or thread displayed in flat mode - on your computer to access than to make TORn pull it up when you want it.

The one downside is, you no longer have the web url address (easily) accessible. So if you want to link to it in a new post, you won't have the url to create a link unless you've also bookmarked it.

Saving web pages is also a good way to save a number of images that are displayed on a web page. When you save it as 'web page, complete', it creates a folder with all the images. However, if what is displayed on a page are only thumbnails, what is saved are the thumbnails.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 23 2009, 5:28pm

Post #25 of 25 (310 views)
Shortcut
Nifty!! I like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know about that capabilitiy. I just tried it and it worked great. Very neat, thanks!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.