Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Big News! Peter Jackson will be at Comic Con ...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Jun 6 2009, 3:44am

Post #1 of 31 (8497 views)
Shortcut
Big News! Peter Jackson will be at Comic Con ... Can't Post

AARRGGHH!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/.../06jackson.html?_r=1

LOS ANGELES — Let the hyperventilating begin: the geek god is at long last coming to Comic-Con.

Get your geek hats on!!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Elven
Valinor

Jun 6 2009, 3:50am

Post #2 of 31 (7689 views)
Shortcut
MrCere ... you devil ... [In reply to] Can't Post

So this was the big secret that you didnt announce on Fictional Frontiers Radio!
I take my hat off to you being able to hint about a big NAME and keep so quiet about this! This is the only NAME!
WOW!
For all those going to Comic Con - have lots of fun!

Come July 27, the director, a three-time Oscar winner, will face the mob in Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center in support of “District 9,” an alien-internment thriller set for release by Sony on Aug. 14. Mr. Jackson produced the film, which was directed by his friend Neill Blomkamp, who will also attend.

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6 2009, 4:09am

Post #3 of 31 (7631 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I called it right! *happy dance*

Now *that* would be the Comic Con to go to. And I hope PJ gets to indulge in the fantasy world as well while he's there.

So who's going?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6 2009, 4:12am

Post #4 of 31 (7626 views)
Shortcut
And I love this bit in the article: [In reply to] Can't Post

Last week the studio introduced an unusual outdoor advertising campaign for the film, papering bus-stop benches and billboards with messages encouraging people to report nonhumans. The studio has already logged nearly 12,000 calls, according to a spokesman.

Brilliant! Cool

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Jun 6 2009, 4:22am

Post #5 of 31 (7611 views)
Shortcut
High Five Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

'you nailed it' Laugh

Its too far for me to swim to Comic Con Frown
AARRGGHH!

I wonder if there will be some annonuncement made - somebodys bound to ask him about The Hobbit Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 6 2009, 4:38am

Post #6 of 31 (7628 views)
Shortcut
notice it puts The Hobbit's release date at 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't TORn debunked this rumor? Is 2012 still being touted as 'bad information'? Or have things changed?

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 6 2009, 5:39am

Post #7 of 31 (7609 views)
Shortcut
Haha indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really think anybody would guess Jackson and then you did! I was a tad worried I had said too much.

There are several TORnados going, including me, unfortunately it is completely sold out.

I know Calisuri is going. I suspect Quickbeam will be there as well, as he was last year, but that is unconfirmed. You can always check this thread .

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Jun 6 2009, 5:44am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2009, 7:34am

Post #8 of 31 (7575 views)
Shortcut
WOOT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, this totally made my weekend. Campout at Hall H, here I come...

Is TORn going to be around when PJ does his panel?

*dances around the room*

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 6 2009, 7:35am

Post #9 of 31 (7586 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, to see if my work schedule at the con will allow me to attend the panel....or at least line up for a possible autograph session (since those sometimes will happen after panels, though I won't hold my breath on that one). Very exciting. I love Comic-Con, this makes going to it that much more exciting this year!!!

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Elven
Valinor

Jun 6 2009, 11:11am

Post #10 of 31 (7593 views)
Shortcut
I reckon you might just get a bigger room this year MrCere and tORN :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2009, 11:26am

Post #11 of 31 (7589 views)
Shortcut
Cripes!! My heart just did a flip [In reply to] Can't Post

and I CAN'T EVEN BE THERE!!!!!!! *spasm*

I'm so thrilled for him that he can FINALLY experience one of these conventions for himself... let alone ComiCon! WHAT A RUSH!

He's so cool. He's just so cool. He's really very cool. Way cool. *sigh* cool....

Cameron who?

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2009, 11:28am

Post #12 of 31 (7576 views)
Shortcut
*chin quivers* nnnot mmmmeee *throws self on floor* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jun 6 2009, 6:57pm

Post #13 of 31 (7579 views)
Shortcut
Oh, those posters [In reply to] Can't Post

They feature this really stupid picture of D9`s alien who looks like a big bug or something. So I see the poster at the buss stop thinking it`s an ad for those cleaning companies that go from house to house and terminate inseacts, bugs, rodents,etc. Bug terminators. It took me 4 times to figure out it was a movie ad. I didn`t get it until I read "Report non-humans". Than I knew it was D9 and thought, aha, how clever! I like it. But alien really looks like @#$%, sorry. Nice campaign, though.

Tamara
Rivendell

Jun 6 2009, 8:04pm

Post #14 of 31 (7558 views)
Shortcut
Hall H [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping I get in to see PJ! I've been locked out of so many panels, including TORn's last year, that I'll keep my fingers crossed.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'd still like to visit Minas Tirith (New Zealand).

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2009, 1:34am

Post #15 of 31 (7527 views)
Shortcut
I just figured [In reply to] Can't Post

he might have a bit more time on his hands at this point that in any other year recently. And what bigger name could ComiCon draw from The Hobbit milieau right now?

Sorry I got you worried!

Ataahua's stories

ME Mom

Jun 7 2009, 1:39am

Post #16 of 31 (7516 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there!!! Got my 4 day passes!!!Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2009, 1:40am

Post #17 of 31 (7527 views)
Shortcut
*gives gramma a big bowl of ice cream* [In reply to] Can't Post

There, there, dear...Evil

You'll just have to be there "in spirit" and send him lots of warm hobbity vibes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 7 2009, 9:19am

Post #18 of 31 (7549 views)
Shortcut
Tips.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Get to panels at least two to three panels ahead of the one you really want to see for Hall H, Ballroom 20 and Room 6CDEF (thought it might be 6ABCD, can't remember). Most of the time the smaller room panels (like TORNs last year) are ones you'll want to get to a panel a head (unless you think it's going to be way popular....then even sooner). If a panel you want to see is scheduled to happen right when the con opens, then you best be ready to book it up to the room/hall/ballroom right when the doors open.

And of course, if you stick around panels after they start (if you've not made it in), you could possibly still get in there when people leave the panel (which they tend to always do 5 to 10 minutes in).

It's so crazy now though, the amount of people trying to get into panels is just insane now.....so insane that you have to sacrifice sometimes in order to see what you really want to see, kinda unfortunate IMO.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2009, 12:08pm

Post #19 of 31 (7574 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

that the size of the halls they use aren't keeping up with the demand. They're not only losing a lot of money having to close the doors because of being sold out already, they're losing participation from the too-small rooms for these high-demand panels/artist visits.

Does ComiCon use multiple locations/hotels like DragonCon does to try an meet the demand? Or is there a hall/location they've always used before and still use now?

sample

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2009, 5:19pm

Post #20 of 31 (7514 views)
Shortcut
Repeats to her self [In reply to] Can't Post

you can't be everywhere, you can't have everything.

Ohhhhh, I want to come. But I'm already going to RingCon and I'm coming to New York.
Ok, so no ComiCon for me. But do keep us updated about everything, that way I can at least join in with the fun.

*drags off repeating "you can't be everywhere"*.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2009, 5:21pm

Post #21 of 31 (7536 views)
Shortcut
They use the San Diego Convention Center [In reply to] Can't Post

And the convention center is *huge*. Smaller panels fit a couple hundred people I would assume, while Ballroom 20 likely fits 1000-2000 (I'm sure there are exact numbers somewhere...) while Hall H is the largest, fitting over 6000 people. The majority of the convention center is the Exhibition Hall which is filled with the vendors and artists and such and can basically fit all those vendors (some, like Sideshow, Lucasfilms, Nickelodeon, and others who have *huge* booth/floor space) along with 10s of thousands of people. The reason they can't fit people into panels anymore is that quite a few people come there for the Hollywood stuff only, and so they tend to get a lot of attention (especially Hall H...)

There are some hotels close by, but considering it's the panels with 100s (if not 1000s) of people that don't have enough room for how popular it is, I am not sure if the hotels in the area have enough room for it.. haven't used any of the hotels nearby myself.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 8 2009, 5:07am

Post #22 of 31 (7512 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Comic-Con is HUGE. It was only a few years ago that the convention didn't take up the entire building, but now almost every inch of it is used. All tickets sold out even sooner than last year (which equals to over 100,000 people to be in attendance for the con). It's crazy!

As A_L said, the reason for panel shut out is the mass amount of people that go just for the Hollywood blitz that happens. It's fun, but I'm quite happy to be working the con now (will be my second time now), instead of just being a regular con goer because it was just plain getting frustrating to be just an attendee (though I am going to try to get to the District 9 panel...we'll see).

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 8 2009, 5:48am

Post #23 of 31 (7514 views)
Shortcut
Comic-Con swallows three Dragon Cons [In reply to] Can't Post

DragonCon fills a few hotels in a section of Atlanta while Comic-Con fills San Diego. It features 500,000 square feet of things to buy, which is just something every pop-culture appreciator (geek) needs to see with her own eyes and walk with her own feet.

Believe it or not, the convention and the city of San Diego both know that the Con has grown bigger than the mammoth convention hall and the city of San Diego. Los Angeles and Las Vegas would both like to take the convention away from San Diego and if that happens it would be able to accomodate more people but there are clearly negatives about that as well. I think San Diego has it for another three years.

I would personally hate to see it go to L.A. and would love it in Vegas.

ComicCon might just decide that 140,000 unique visitors is good enough.

You can volunteer at the convention and get a free badge as a result. Even the volunteers are 'sold out' this year but next year is SURE to feature a lot of Hobbit stuff so sign up early.

I have included a picture of the convention center here taken from the back side or ocean side of the convention center. In the far right of the photo, across the street from the hall you can see the completely dwarfed PetCo field baseball stadium. All the hotels you see are used and sold out for the Con. By itself the convention is a fair sized city every day.

And, in case anybody thinks I said otherwise, I made no claim that SDCC was better than DCon, only bigger.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 8 2009, 7:56am

Post #24 of 31 (7542 views)
Shortcut
Now imagine.... [In reply to] Can't Post

a HUGE line snaking around from the front right side of the building all the around to the back (and almost to the left hand side)! That's how long a line into hall H (where the BIG panels happen) can be at times (especially when it's first panel of the day). CRAZY.

I have to wonder if SDCC would move from it's location. It's been happening in San Diego for 40 years now after all. Moving to Vegas would be interesting (but that's a tad farther for Hollywood to go). L.A. would probably be the #1 choice for Hollywood (and I wouldn't mind that either, as the commute to it would be a lot faster, ha!). Somehow I just don't see it moving though. It's outgrown it's venue (or I should say, it's packed to the gills with no room to expand), but maybe that's as big as SDCC wants to ever be?

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8 2009, 9:01am

Post #25 of 31 (7514 views)
Shortcut
*staggers* Thanks All! [In reply to] Can't Post

Holy Moly! That's Amazing!

Ya know what... tentatively sign me up for next year. It'll depend on how much airline tickets are for NZ in March... but this geek really DOES need to see it for herself :D

Hobbit stuff. Hobbit stuff. Hobbit stuff...

omg... my hands are shaking!

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.