The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
About the "NEW" tag,

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 11:20pm

Post #1 of 20 (688 views)
Shortcut
About the "NEW" tag, Can't Post

it appears that this refers only to messages posted since the last time one visited a forum, correct? If one visits a forum but does not read a "new" message, that message is no longer labeled "new" the next time one visits, though the subject line still appears in bold type. In other words, every time one leaves a forum, all the "new" tags are cleared, regardless of what messages one has read or not read.

This might be confusing some people, since some seem to be interpreting "new" to mean unread. So perhaps this could be explained in the FAQs. (I looked but didn't find it covered.)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 11:28pm

Post #2 of 20 (579 views)
Shortcut
There are two versions of NEW tags that I can see: [In reply to] Can't Post

The one next to the subject line of an open post, and the ones on the Main Index Page (listed in the vertical columns of Threads and Posts).

I know that the NEW tag next to the subject line of post will stay there until I've actually opened the post to read it - just scanning the threads on a discussion board won't do it.

However, from the Main Index Page, if I open one of the discussion boards then go back to the Main Index Page, the 'New' tags in the vertical column of that board are gone. (Although if I open that discussion board again, I can see the unread posts in bold text.)

Does that make sense? Or have I confused people?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 2:14am

Post #3 of 20 (561 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I just tried this out, same result [In reply to] Can't Post

Aerin,
After you posted this, I tried it out too. I looked at the Fan Art forum and it said 1 new thread, 10 new posts. I clicked on the forum, saw all the 'new' flags, but I didn't actually click or read anything. Then I logged of TORn. I went back and logged in immediately, and went to Fan Art and all the 'new' -s were gone. And in my case, they weren't bolded anymore either.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Feb 20 2007, 2:15am)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 3:31am

Post #4 of 20 (544 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's how it works for me, as well; It's the "NEW" tags on the main index page that I think might be confusing, as some people may not understand that they go away even if one doesn't read the posts.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 3:59am

Post #5 of 20 (541 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, another question. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the bolding of unread posts have an expiration date? I just noticed that older subject lines of posts that I definitely never opened have lost their bolding. I expect the color change for followed links to expire, because how many are remembered depends on my browser settings. Does the bolding work the same way?

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 20 2007, 4:50am

Post #6 of 20 (543 views)
Shortcut
People will get used to that over time... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the "NEW" tags on the main index page that I think might be confusing, as some people may not understand that they go away even if one doesn't read the posts.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 20 2007, 4:52am)

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 20 2007, 4:54am

Post #7 of 20 (549 views)
Shortcut
If you ever switch to 'flat mode' [In reply to] Can't Post

It will automatically mark all the posts as unread.

Other than that, I'd have to give it time to see if the 'unread' designation expires. I don't have any posts that have gone unread for very long, atm! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 5:32am

Post #8 of 20 (531 views)
Shortcut
An explanation in the FAQ [In reply to] Can't Post

might still be helpful.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 5:55am

Post #9 of 20 (542 views)
Shortcut
The bolding definitely expires. [In reply to] Can't Post

A number of posts which I definitely have never read are no longer bolded. But I haven't yet figured out when it happens. I'll have to do a controlled experiment.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 12:29pm

Post #10 of 20 (565 views)
Shortcut
I believe a log out changes to the bold to unbold [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A number of posts which I definitely have never read are no longer bolded. But I haven't yet figured out when it happens. I'll have to do a controlled experiment.

In my experience, every time you log out, all messages are "unbolded". The next time you log in, only those messages that have been posted since you logged off will be bolded. I found this annoying at first, but I am learning to retrain myself to use it to my advantage.

Notta

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 2:31pm

Post #11 of 20 (564 views)
Shortcut
Notta-Can you please share your learnings? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am concerned that I am completely missing posts I've never read because I can't keep track of the unread ones, since the 'new' tags and the bold on the subject line keeps disappearing.

How are you managing the change? It would be very helpful to hear any tips you may have.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 4:21pm

Post #12 of 20 (560 views)
Shortcut
Re: Loresilme - Here's what I am learning to do [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am concerned that I am completely missing posts I've never read because I can't keep track of the unread ones, since the 'new' tags and the bold on the subject line keeps disappearing.

How are you managing the change? It would be very helpful to hear any tips you may have.

Well, I think I'm still in the adapt mode, but I'll toss out what I'm doing in hopes that it may help others to pick up a trick, but also maybe someone will read this and think of tips for ME! Wink And I'd like to say yet another thanks to Altaira, Mr. Altaira , Inferno and everybody else - I think as we learn to use these boards we're going to absolutely LOVE them!

My default display settings are threaded for both Forum View and Post Display. I tend to always open a new tab whenever I click on any link. Gotta love tabbed browsing - very important for forum viewing, I think! Opening a new tab means middle click or right-click-hold-select-open-in-new-tab in Firefox. I don't know anything about IE7.

First off, I now log in/out whenever I visit, and I do that on purpose to reset bold posts. As I mentioned in my previous note, I'm now pretty convinced that bold posts are those made (and unread by you) since the last time you logged off.

When I log in I follow these steps:
1) At the main index, I scan which boards I'm interested in are listed as having new posts.

2) I open each board that has new posts (such as Main, or Feedback) in a new tab.

3) When I open a new board, I hit the "Collapsed View" button to collapse all the threads, then I hit the "creation" link at the top of the Age column so that it says "activity". This changes the board to show just the subject headings of the root post ("Collapsed View"), and orders the root posts so that those at the top have the most recent subposts in them. That way I know I'm not missing some thread on the second or third page that someone just replied to. I rather wish there was some way to set "activity" as the default post sorting method - hint, hint!

4) I then scan all the root post subjects that are bold, as those are the subjects that have received posts since I last logged out. If any of them look interesting to me, I'll then click the '+' sign next to them to expand them back into threaded mode.

5) The bold posts in those threads are the new posts that I haven't seen yet. At that point, it is a bit of a free-for-all. If I pretty much want to read the whole thread, and the thread is small, I'll open the root post in a new tab and hit "View Flat Mode" and read the whole thread. Otherwise, I'll tend to open the subthreads of interest in new tabs (I have "Default Post Display" set to threaded in my profile) and read each subthread in threaded mode.

6) When I've surfed each board to my satisfaction, I log out so that I can start back at #1 again next time.

I think I'm going to change my Default Forum view to "collapsed" as this will save a step in step #2 - like I said, this is a work in progress!

BTW - just used the "Check Spelling" function on this post - wow do I love that!

[Edited for grammar - spell check can't catch that, eh?]

Notta

(This post was edited by NottaSackville on Feb 20 2007, 4:26pm)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 4:34pm

Post #13 of 20 (520 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and one more thing [In reply to] Can't Post

When going through a board and reading new posts, I frequently change the forum view back to collapsed after I'm done with a thread. I find it is much easier to find the next topic with unread posts that way.

Notta

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 4:34pm

Post #14 of 20 (535 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I used the spellchecker this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

How convenient to have a working spell check option in the reply box.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 11:55pm

Post #15 of 20 (516 views)
Shortcut
You're right, but [In reply to] Can't Post

only for the forums that have been visited during the session. I could swear that's not how it was working at first, because I logged in and out a bunch of times the first couple days and saw the same subject lines bolded that I had seen the previous time for posts I had not read. This made me think that they would stay bold until I read them. But then the bolding started disappearing for older posts, while staying for newer posts, so I thought it was an expiration thing. Now, if I just visit a forum without reading any posts, log out, and log in again, all the bolding is gone, along with all the "NEW" tags. I guess I'd better not visit a forum unless I have time to read all the new posts I'm interested in!

Radhruin
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 1:22am

Post #16 of 20 (527 views)
Shortcut
Noticed the same thing. And a question: [In reply to] Can't Post

As of yesterday (I think), when I visit a forum and then hit the back button, it does not register that I read any posts unless I manually refresh my browser when I get back to the main menu. My computer at work however, registers a post as read no matter how I move around the forums. So my question is whether it might be a IE6 problem, since I have put off downloading IE7 since I do not care for it (to put it mildly), and IE7 is what I have at work. But as far as I know, this wasn't the case on Saturday and Sunday. But then again my memory might be slipping.

Formerly ExtraordinaryElvenKing

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 2:29am

Post #17 of 20 (519 views)
Shortcut
Getting the hang of that right click thang [In reply to] Can't Post

You are soooooo sweet, thank you for sharing all those details. This was extremely helpful. I am at this very moment trying out the 'right click open in new tab' trick and it does seem to be working. I'm getting the hang of it.

I like switching back and forth on views too, especially from thread to flat mode also. I generally prefer threaded, but if you have a thread with no subthreads - gosh, flat mode is great then, it's so easy to just read through all the replies in order.

It's just like people say, this was so new just a few days ago and now I'm already wondering how I ever managed with only one way to view the posts!

Thanks NottaHeart!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 2:32am

Post #18 of 20 (538 views)
Shortcut
It could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

that your browser is just going back to a cached page instead of loading it new. If your work computer is different, it may be a newer browser, or perhaps it automatically refreshes?

At any rate, if you want your browser to register read posts, instead of using the "back" button, try using the link at the top of the page to go back to the forum or forum list you want. For instance, right now I see: The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback at the top of the screen. If I click on The One Ring Forums, it will take me to a (refreshed) forum list, if I click on TheOneRing.net, it will take me to the forum list for this section, and if I click on Feedback, it will take me to the thread listing for this forum.

I always used the Back button to jump in and out of threads on the old boards, but I've found it doesn't take long to get used to using the forum links here.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Radhruin
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 2:46am

Post #19 of 20 (530 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, that helped. [In reply to] Can't Post

Takes a little getting used to how convenient these new boards can be, if I am open to exploring them. Or as I have been doing, ask questions and get pointed in what should be the obvious right direction! Thanks again.

Formerly ExtraordinaryElvenKing

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 2:56am

Post #20 of 20 (550 views)
Shortcut
Heh. Try... [In reply to] Can't Post

being an Admin who is supposed to know the answers. I just noticed the forum links a short while ago myself, and I was here through the beta test. And all over Feedback there are lots of people asking technical questions about things that are completely over my head. I'm mostly reading Altaira's answers and going, "Oh, do we have that feature? Oh, is that how that works?" Crazy

It's a learning curve for everyone here.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.