Guillermo del Toro's book signing in LA- photos and small report

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 7:54am

Post #1 of 22 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo del Toro's book signing in LA- photos and small report Can't Post

I have had a long day so apologies if this is a bit of a ramble Smile

My friend and I went down to the Borders in Westwood in Los Angeles for GDT's book signing of The Strain. While there were perhaps 20 people around 5PM when the venue opened, by 7PM there were well over 100 people (including some that looked to be from a local news agency). He was slightly delayed because he was giving an interview with a certain website Wink While we waited we bumped into Garfeimao- it was great to see her again.

When GDT came in, there was quite a bit of cheering and clapping. He had a discussion before the book signings- I did not get exact quotations, but I'll summarize it to the best of my memory. He did explain that there were two different types of vampires- the romantic kind and then the not-so-romantic, violent kind. The vampires in The Strain are the latter. He also explained- I hope I remember this correctly- that the Strain is a part of a trilogy, with the first part being about the more biological stuff about vampires, the second book covering the mythology, and the third (and his favorite theme, IIRC) covering the spirituality. When it came to biology, he did make it clear that we would discover many, many details about vampires- including something about their pee. Laugh When it came to the mythology (and perhaps spirituality, my mind is a bit foggy), he mentioned that they are going a bit of a different route, and not taking the classic route- giving us a new way to think about vampire's mythology.

When it came to his influences he mentioned short stories; unfortunately I cannot remember the name, but it's apparently terrifying. He certainly made a reference to Bram Stoker's Dracula, though I remember him putting more emphasis on an earlier work- perhaps Vampyre by John Polidori. There was also a mention of "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. A little fun fact: when an audience member asked him about stories his grandmother had told him, apparently she (who was a devout Catholic) mostly told stories concerning original sin and purgatory to young GDT. He also talked about the 4 starring characters of The Strain, but I'll leave you folks to discover who they are. Let's just say that they are not exactly the most elite team of fighters on the earth. Laugh

I wish I could emulate GDT's tone as he spoke- it was obvious that he was comfortable and definitely into the discussion about his book, especially concerning vampires. He was very funny at moments and a clear, engaging speaker. The speech itself was relatively short- no longer than 15 to 20 minutes if I had to take a guess. After a couple audience questions we went to the signing, where he talked individually to everyone there and drew a little caricature of himself in every book saying the book owner's name. Kudos to Borders for making the process very efficient with the sticky notes already having our name written down so he didn't have to ask.

As for the book itself? It looks to be a thriller/mystery/horror. I am 50 pages in and already very curious as to see where it goes. The beginning starts off with something like a prologue (it is a legend that I imagine will have some significance later in the book). It goes on to bluntly tell of the final recording of flight 753... and, well, from there the story continues. I cannot wait to see what it reveals.

My photos go beyond the size requirement of the forums, so I'll leave you with a link where you can see some pictures of him talking and a glimpse of what the cartoon he drew looked like. I'll end this post with the final photo of the evening.

Thanks to Borders and GDT for hosting such a magnificent event! I hope to be there again for the release of the second book of the trilogy! Smile

Left to right: Friend, me, GDT, Garf.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jun 3 2009, 2:42pm

Post #2 of 22 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great pics and what a great experience. GDT in the person! Thanks so much for sharing!

"Gwenwin in enninath. U-'arnech in naeth i si celich. Renech i beth i pennen?"(Long years have passed. You did not wear the troubles you carry now. Do you remember what I told you?)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 3 2009, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 22 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, AL! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great experience for you! I am glad you got to be there.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 3 2009, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 22 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Can we post this? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the news TORn is made of. ALways send stuff like this to Spymaster@TheOneRing.net.

Can we post this with or without photos? Awesome!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

deej
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 22 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you got to go to this; it sounds like an amazing time for everyone, and the photos are great. I just wish I could have been there!

"...and back again."

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 22 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the report [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 4:00pm

Post #7 of 22 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can post with the photos- I did not realize this was front page worthy *g*

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 4:43pm

Post #8 of 22 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Great stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing!

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 4 2009, 3:38am

Post #9 of 22 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I so wish I could have gone to the signing last night! So glad to see/hear that you and other TORnsibs had a great time!

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Elven
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 9:37am

Post #10 of 22 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds fantastic! .. Thankyou so much for the report! and thats so much more than a book signing - its nice to hear GdT gave a speech about his book and was funny and friendly and informative - what else would he be Smile
Great to hear of such a good turnout too.
Im thrilled you made it to the signing and great to see Garf there as well *waves madly*

Thankyou Ainu Laire
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jun 4 2009, 2:14pm

Post #11 of 22 (1478 views)
Shortcut
more details [In reply to] Can't Post

Suvi, GDT's reference to pee was actually a reference to the Vampire's peepee, which was his not so vulgar way to say he explains the biology of a vampire's genitalia, something he thinks hasn't really been covered in detail before. bwuhahahahaha.

I love the fact that he's read vampire stories in many different cultures and from many different eras. He really made the whole trilogy sound great, so I can't wait to dig into the new book tomorrow when I fly to Hawaii.

And look, that's us, woohoo.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2009, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 22 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Yea, I didn't catch that originallly [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend corrected me on LJ and sadly I cannot edit it here. Such references completely fly over my head at times... Angelic

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jun 4 2009, 8:41pm

Post #13 of 22 (1370 views)
Shortcut
actually, it was mentioned on Craig Ferguson [In reply to] Can't Post

He elaborated more on that show than he did at the bookstore, cause there was that kid in the audience.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2009, 8:54pm

Post #14 of 22 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I didn't remember that [In reply to] Can't Post

I only remember the snake cup, to be honest Laugh Thanks for putting in the clarification :)

ringer5150
The Shire

Jun 5 2009, 12:42am

Post #15 of 22 (1456 views)
Shortcut
I was there too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool pics! I was one of the last one to meet GDT. Got there kind of late cuz school. Tongue
He signed my STRAIN book and hobbit book. Wish I hadn't forgot my camera.Frown Did anyone else try sneak on that listen little meeting had with some weta guy that was there??? I tried to get close, but they cleared the cafe area and GDT and I think the name I heard was Mike, went in and had a long discussion. Coffee and all. GDT even pulled out his blackberry and they were going over, well it was something. Can u freakin imagine if it was some production stuff??? I tried to get an innocent word with both of them, but GDT's assistant stopped me and the only thing mike said was that now he has to report to New Zealand earlier than he planned. Sounded like that lucky dog got a promotion. Shouldn't really call him a dog. He was a cutieWink

(This post was edited by ringer5150 on Jun 5 2009, 12:47am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2009, 6:41am

Post #16 of 22 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Actually I met Mike [In reply to] Can't Post

He was in line right behind me. His story is that he just graduated college and landed an internship at WETA to work on the Hobbit, which is likely why GDT talked more with him- they're going to be working together for a while, after all.

He definitely is very lucky, to say the least xD

ringer5150
The Shire

Jun 5 2009, 7:13am

Post #17 of 22 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He was in line right behind me. His story is that he just graduated college and landed an internship at WETA to work on the Hobbit, which is likely why GDT talked more with him- they're going to be working together for a while, after all.

He definitely is very lucky, to say the least xD

Wow. That is amazing! They talked well for a good 20 minutes at least. Only thing I know concrete for sure is that they did exchange phone numbers and GDT wants him to call as soon as he arrives in NZ. Broken pieces I got out of their hobbit meeting was something about GDT wanting to talk to a James or Jim about getting Mike on "the SET team." Doesn't WETA have certain department reps on set during filming? A team that represents WETA WORKSHOP and one that represents WETA DIGITAL. I think I remember that in the appendicies of EE of the DVDs.

I just spoke with Mike briefly. Seems so sweet and at the same time a little overwhelmed.Evil

Mike, if you somehow read this... You are going to do a wonderful job. I just know it. I and I am sure I speak for Ainu Laire when we say we send you our well wishes and best of luck. HeartSmile

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jun 5 2009, 12:02pm

Post #18 of 22 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Mike will be working with WETA Digital [In reply to] Can't Post

I was with Ainu in line and we did speak quite a bit with Mike. And yes, he does seem a wee bit overwhelmed. He graduated with a degree in Digital production type stuff, I forgot the exact title, and was then hired by New Line and assigned the Internship on this project before Warner Bros. took over. He's going to be working under Jim Rygiel, who won Oscars 3 years in a row on LOTR and has been nominated numerous other times. He specifically mentioned working on MASSIVE, the program that helped them do the CGI battles so realistically.

He did have to think long and hard about whether or not he wanted to take this job because while it's a Dream Assignment, he'd never been out of the country, let alone thought about moving 8000 miles from home for 2-3 years.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Elven
Valinor

Jun 5 2009, 5:44pm

Post #19 of 22 (1352 views)
Shortcut
I would swim to NZ for a job on this :D ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool
Thats a fantastic story - what a decision to make, but I bet in the end it will be more than worth it a thousand times over.

Amazing - thanks for eavesdropping ... i mean errr sharing that with us Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

ringer5150
The Shire

Jun 5 2009, 6:41pm

Post #20 of 22 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Remarkable [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was with Ainu in line and we did speak quite a bit with Mike. And yes, he does seem a wee bit overwhelmed. He graduated with a degree in Digital production type stuff, I forgot the exact title, and was then hired by New Line and assigned the Internship on this project before Warner Bros. took over. He's going to be working under Jim Rygiel, who won Oscars 3 years in a row on LOTR and has been nominated numerous other times. He specifically mentioned working on MASSIVE, the program that helped them do the CGI battles so realistically.

He did have to think long and hard about whether or not he wanted to take this job because while it's a Dream Assignment, he'd never been out of the country, let alone thought about moving 8000 miles from home for 2-3 years.

Definitley can see how the fan in all of us would jump at the chance, but that adult in all of us would truly make you think and force you to make a conscious and well thought out decision. I just read on the homepage that we're couple weeks away from a Bilbo casting annoucement!! I can see why GDT is summoning him early to NZ. Sounds like the wheels are turning at a quicker pace now. He told me his original time to leave was early July (if I remember correctly). Then as I said in an earlier post he mentioned he would be leaving earlier than expected. SO EXCITING!!!Smile

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Jun 5 2009, 8:04pm

Post #21 of 22 (1377 views)
Shortcut
but if it's in your line of work... [In reply to] Can't Post

It wouldn't just be a dream job, it'd be an adult dream job Tongue

ringer5150
The Shire

Jun 6 2009, 4:53am

Post #22 of 22 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Yup Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Amen to that! Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.