The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
'Nother lawsuit update

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 2 2009, 7:53pm

Post #1 of 12 (337 views)
Shortcut
'Nother lawsuit update Can't Post

According to news reports, the court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs on both motions, but reserved the right to reconsider the motion to bifurcate. This means that the trial is more likely than ever to proceed on October 19 as scheduled.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2009, 10:11pm

Post #2 of 12 (221 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to excuse me... [In reply to] Can't Post

But who are the plaintiffs in this particular matter? And the bifurcation part... is that what you explained about the problem essentially being split in two, one part being the breach of contract and the other the owed money, which essentially could save The Hobbit's rights from being retired?

Sorry, it's just that by round 25 ther have been so many changes that I am having trouble keeping up.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 2 2009, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 12 (228 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - let me be clearer [In reply to] Can't Post

The plaintiffs in the case are the Tolkien Trusts (represented by Christopher and the other family members) and Harper Collins (and the related publisher entities). The defendant is New Line. New Line filed two motions that were heard by the court today. The first motion was to have the jury trial scheduled for October 19 vacated and replaced by a court trial (a trial that is decided by the judge alone). That was rejected completely. The second motion was to "bifurcate" the trial so that some issues would be ruled on by the judge first, and then the rest would be tried by a jury. The judge rejected that one, too, but apparently stated that she would reconsider it further down the line. As it stands right now, the jury trial scheduled for October 19 is still on.

Is that a bit clearer?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 3 2009, 5:06am

Post #4 of 12 (190 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

While I understood the first post, it's good to know I did get it right Wink

And thank you once again for keeping us updated. Without you, I'd be completely in the dark since the early days of the lawsuit!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2009, 1:04pm

Post #5 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
Very much so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Voronwë!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

weathertop
Rohan

Jun 3 2009, 2:41pm

Post #6 of 12 (182 views)
Shortcut
agh-HA [In reply to] Can't Post

now THIS is what i call an english translation of lawyese (the native tongue of those from the land of lawyer). Thanks!

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 3 2009, 8:38pm

Post #7 of 12 (169 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what we would do without your input and expertise.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Elven
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 1:00pm

Post #8 of 12 (153 views)
Shortcut
with a jury? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Elven
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 1:04pm

Post #9 of 12 (155 views)
Shortcut
OOps sorry VtF - I posted below without reading this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This si going to be very interesting indeed - October the 19th hmmm - we wait and see what happens between that time and on the day.
How long do you think this sort of thing may take?
Whats your opinion on what the court might decide upon as to what the judge may handle (if anything)?

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 1:32pm

Post #10 of 12 (152 views)
Shortcut
Could be a couple of months [In reply to] Can't Post

A trial of this sort could last a good long time. Or it could settle on the eve of trial.

The Tolkien Library has a brief update on the lawsuit here.

Elven
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 2:39pm

Post #11 of 12 (154 views)
Shortcut
Great article [In reply to] Can't Post

from you VtF! Smile

The increase in the amount due caught my eye ...

In their papers supporting that opposition, it was revealed that they now assert that New Line owed them $220 million dollars as of September 2007, instead of the $150 million dollars that they initially requested. The also made it clear that it was their position that there really was no issue to be decided by the judge on the question of whether they would be entitled to terminate New Line's rights to make future films; they assert that the the Agreements can only be interpreted as providing them with that right if it is found that New Line breached the Agreements.

I think they may have found something after having access to trawling through all the paperwork they could not get their hands on for years that was kept from them ...

I wonder ...
thanks for the article! Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2009, 12:03pm

Post #12 of 12 (138 views)
Shortcut
Thanks VtF :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great explanation. I'll be the first to admit so much of this is way over my head... but this helps me to keep up with the drama. I still am flummoxed at how long all of this takes, but going through resources and preparations on both sides does take time, fersher.

Thanks again :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.