Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
This is why I think, we had Arwen at Helm’s Deep.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Voorhas
Lorien

Jun 3 2009, 10:14pm

Post #26 of 39 (191 views)
Shortcut
Homage or Rip-Off? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's an odd case of sideways plagiarism:

Karamba, Karacho, ein Whisky

squire
Half-elven

Jun 3 2009, 10:32pm

Post #27 of 39 (178 views)
Shortcut
That was an homage [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that story-arc. The bad guy was a frustrated and angry young teen who did nothing but read The Lord of the Rings while dwelling on the injustice and evil in the world that prevented him, etc. The artist showed him carrying around a thick but featureless brown book with the title written out so you wouldn't miss the connection!

Somehow (I forget) he gets transformed into a super-powered pterodactyl creature, and he names himself "Sauron" in honor of his favorite super-villain! Thus the cover you found - cool!

Remember that X-men was specifically written for a teen audience, so teen super-villains often appeared to duke it out with the talented mutant teens of Prof. Xavier's "academy".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Annael
Immortal

Jun 3 2009, 11:28pm

Post #28 of 39 (182 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just baffled at what people read into the character.

It seems to me that Tolkien's letter showed that what I "read into the character" was, in fact, exactly what he intended.

I do agree that the movie Eowyn was not much like book Eowyn.

You might be interested in reading this poll on the topic of who came closest to the book character.

To light a candle is to cast a shadow.
- Ursula K. Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jun 4 2009, 12:00am

Post #29 of 39 (166 views)
Shortcut
Poll`s about right [In reply to] Can't Post

McKellen = Gandalf. Others played characters with more or less success but he was the character.

"It seems to me that Tolkien's letter showed that what I "read into the character" was, in fact, exactly what he intended."

Then maybe I`m just stupid because I didn`t see this at all from his writing. Perhaps I am dumb, after all, I`m a Twi-hard,no? We are shallow, dumb, immature, etc. Wink

Twilight sneaks into the Houses of Healing:

F: "And the lion fell in love with the lamb..."

E:"What a stupid lion!"

F:"Er, I don`t think I`m stupid..."

E:"No, I said 'What a stupid lion, means me, to fall in love with a lamb, means you'"

F:"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I AM A LAMB?"

E:"With all due respect, sir, I was fighting like a lion at the Pelennor Fields , while you were sleeping like a lamb! There!"

Tongue

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Jun 4 2009, 12:02am)

Voorhas
Lorien

Jun 4 2009, 5:57am

Post #30 of 39 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Info... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I know more comic-book continuity than I care to admit, but never got the full story on this particular baddie.

Karamba, Karacho, ein Whisky

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Jun 4 2009, 6:01am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 8:35am

Post #31 of 39 (165 views)
Shortcut
It's not as out-of-the-blue as all that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Faramir and Eowyn out of blue hook-up was way too latina telenovela since these shows are famous for pulling such What-the-heck? forced happy endings for all.

Tolkien has built up a lot of links and parallels between these two - they have both been underestimated and frustrated by their father/father-figure, in quite similar ways. They have both come to the edge of death trying to protect that father-figure, and been recalled to life by Aragorn. If you only look at the surface plot, I suppose it does look like a shallow romance. But there are lot of other layers to Tolkien, which is probably why people keep reading LotR long after all those paperback romances have gone for pulping.

As for it being a "total cop out because Tolkien obviously didn't want to kill them off although he should have", that's a fair comment and could be made just as well (if not better) for Frodo and Sam. But Tolkien likes redemption, it seems.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jun 4 2009, 12:33pm

Post #32 of 39 (159 views)
Shortcut
I respect your argument [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don`t find parallels with fathers,etc to be a good enough build up for a romance. Common ground doesn`t necessary spell attraction or happy life together. Besides, they wouldn`t even know each other had it not been for Wiki`s "matchmaking" of sorts. Had he not knocked them out unconscious, which put them into the same hospital, they wouldn`t have met. Again, it`s all too coincidental and convenient. No depth in this romance no matter how much shippers try to justify it. The whole reason behind this pairing was to preserve the dynasty rather than to make it plausible at all. At least Eomer`s marriage proposal to Prince Imrahil`s daughter made sense since it was a political thing, strengthening alliance between Rohan and Arnor through marriage. No fast-food love nonsense.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 4 2009, 4:02pm

Post #33 of 39 (153 views)
Shortcut
point made [In reply to] Can't Post

you don't believe they loved each other, and nothing anyone else says is going to convince you. Fine. But please don't denigrate those who hold opposing views in terms like "shippers." Doesn't that mean people who grasp at the tiniest bit of evidence in an attempt to create a relationship where there is none? Tolkien himself says they were in love. It's a fair criticism to say that you weren't convinced of that by how he wrote the story. But I don't think you can conclude that therefore there wasn't a love relationship, just that it wasn't convincingly written.

Yes, romance is not his forte. I know when I first read LOTR, I was completely startled when Arwen pops up at the end and marries Aragorn. I didn't even remember her and had to flip back to find where he mentioned her before. I didn't find the story in the appendices for some time. But that didn't make me doubt the author's intention.

Come to think of it, he writes the same romance each time with Beren & Luthien, Aragorn & Arwen, and Faramir & Eowyn: the man falls in love at first sight, the lady takes longer. Perhaps that's because that's how Tolkien himself experienced love with his Edith, and couldn't imagine it differently?

- Ursula K. Le Guin

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2009, 5:26pm

Post #34 of 39 (137 views)
Shortcut
Believability [In reply to] Can't Post

This, along with what squire writes further up in the thread, is why I consider the Éowyn/Faramir bond among the most mature and believable love stories I’ve read.

They are compatible, aren’t they? They share experiences and ways of looking at things. There's also the not inconsiderable point that Faramir is obviously attracted to Éowyn and that she suddenly sees him in a new light and appreciates him, something that happens to women sometimes. That’s why the courtship can happen in just a few weeks.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 4 2009, 7:06pm

Post #35 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No depth in this romance no matter how much shippers try to justify it.

If you're reading this as a straightforward romance, you have good reason to find it unsatisfactory. There are hundreds of better romances in the Romance section of any decent bookstore, if that's the kind of thing you're after. I'm afraid Tolkien's interests lay elsewhere.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jun 5 2009, 1:45am

Post #36 of 39 (127 views)
Shortcut
Goof call on Edith [In reply to] Can't Post

but he should`ve used his imagination. Tongue

Annael
Immortal

Jun 5 2009, 2:10am

Post #37 of 39 (124 views)
Shortcut
maybe he used it all up on all the other stuff? [In reply to] Can't Post

anyway, I found a little present for you:

- Ursula K. Le Guin

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jun 5 2009, 2:14am

Post #38 of 39 (140 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene is going to be awesome!

But here`s a present for you. Maybe not exactly what you want but it`s a nice eye candy, no? Wink

http://www.quizilla.com/...00286_uresTaylor.jpg

Annael
Immortal

Jun 10 2009, 10:26pm

Post #39 of 39 (109 views)
Shortcut
too young for me [In reply to] Can't Post

but he'd make a perfect "Ged" - if only someone would remake "A Wizard of Earthsea" in a way that follows & respects the book, instead of the complete abomination SciFi offered up a couple of years ago.

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:
How are you? ...
I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:
What is God?
If you think that the Truth can be known
From words,
If you think that the Sun and the Ocean
Can pass through that tiny opening
Called the mouth,
O someone should start laughing!
Someone should start wildly
Laughing – Now!
- Hafiz

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.