Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I can post to some threads but not others

Alicia
Lorien

May 11 2009, 2:22am

Post #1 of 11 (392 views)
Shortcut
I can post to some threads but not others Can't Post

Hi-

It has happened on more than one occasion that I'd try to post a reply (having succeeded on other threads) only to be told that I don't have permission to post in that thread. Help! Shocked I don't understand why that happens. Am I doing something wrong? Below please find the reply that I tried to post in the OT Dreams thread. If you could post it there for me, that would be great... and if you can help me out with the problem in general, that would be even better! Smile Thanks so much for your help.

-Alicia
allywag67@aol.com

I've occasionally had the teeth-falling-out dream, or some variation thereof. The other night I dreamt that my teeth had all shifted & were horribly crooked. They used to be somewhat crooked, 'til I had braces; I lost the retainer for a week (over 10 years ago, mind you) and they did shift a bit, but nowhere near where they were before.

As a musician, I frequently dream songs, whether it's just the music or a complete song. I never dream just lyrics. The funny thing is, I'm in a band (have been for almost 11 years) and while I can play, read, and technically write music, I'm not very creative when it comes to writing. So to dream a song kind of makes me crazy, because I wish I just had a socket in my head that I could plug a tape recorder into, so I wouldn't lose the song!! Because you know that when I wake up in the morning, it's completely gone... sigh...Unsure

-Alicia

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 11 2009, 2:28am

Post #2 of 11 (267 views)
Shortcut
That's happened to me occasionally as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually it's a case of leaving it be for five or 10 minutes, then opening the post again and giving the reply button another go. It should work at that point - if it doesn't, you may need to wait until the next time you log on.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 11 2009, 2:37am

Post #3 of 11 (277 views)
Shortcut
It is sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

a conflict in settings. Try switching to Basic Editor (it's the green button below the message box) when you write your message for those threads and see if it will let you post that way.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Alicia
Lorien

May 11 2009, 2:37am

Post #4 of 11 (210 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll give that a try. Smile
-Alicia

Alicia
Lorien

May 11 2009, 2:45am

Post #5 of 11 (283 views)
Shortcut
Basic Editor boo [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, I tried switching to that; when I clicked it before posting, the box in which to write disappeared. When I typed & then clicked the box, I got the same message as before: I was denied permission to view the page. Weird, since I'd been viewing it before I tried to post! Any other suggestions? Thanks!

-Alicia

Alicia
Lorien

May 20 2009, 1:46am

Post #6 of 11 (200 views)
Shortcut
Still happening [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if a mod can help me with this? It's still happening to me. In the meantime, can a mod please post my message below into the Handedness thread? It would be oh-so-appreciated! Laugh

My sister, my dad & I are all righties; my mom & her mom are/were lefties. I don't know why people are "handed", but the term "ambidextrous" is itself a biased term. From the Latin "ambi" or Spanish "ambos" meaning "both" and the Latin "dexter" or Spanish "derecha" meaning "right". So "ambidextrous" means "both right", as in you can write (or do other things) just as well with your left hand as you can with your right - which assumes that the right hand is the dominant hand to begin with. The word "left" is also related to the words for "sinister", "unlucky", etc., although I can't find the source online right now. One related bit of info that I've heard before - and I don't know if it's true - is that before the invention of toilet paper, people used... ew!... their left hands. I'm assuming they washed them afterwards... but that's why people shake hands with the right hand, not the left.

Anyway, I'm definitely a righty, but I can write fairly well with my left hand, although it feels weird. Pretty much the only thing my left hand is really useful for is playing my piano, guitar, & percussion instruments. Fun thread! Cool

-Alicia

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 20 2009, 3:49am

Post #7 of 11 (217 views)
Shortcut
Done. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alicia
Lorien

May 21 2009, 3:30am

Post #8 of 11 (390 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're an angel! Angelic
-Alicia

Alicia
Lorien

Jun 6 2009, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 11 (128 views)
Shortcut
*sob* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to bother you... it's happening again, this time in a post that I started myself! Frown I'm trying to post in the NZ photos thread, & now it says "denied" again, no matter what I do... please help! Thanks...

-Alicia

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6 2009, 10:25pm

Post #10 of 11 (124 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you need advice from someone more technically knowledgeable than I am. I suggest you send a PM to Inferno or Altaira describing the problem and the error messages you get. They're our Superusers and your best bet for this kind of tech help.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Alicia
Lorien

Jun 7 2009, 2:33am

Post #11 of 11 (195 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully I'll be able to reply to your post! I PMd Altaira. Thanks very much for your advice! Smile
-Alicia

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.