May 7 2009, 9:45pm

Post #1 of 6 (717 views)
Shortcut
Review of Sigurd and Gudrún by Tom Shippey Can't Post

The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún: Tolkien out-Wagners Wagner

By Tom Shippey

The Times Literary Supplement

Complete review here.

As for the fate of the two poems here published, Tolkien fans will need no persuasion of their merits. Scholars will read them with close attention, to see what Tolkien’s famously original mind made of the old Königsproblem. The general reader? Many will stumble over the archaisms, for the poems are seventy years old at least, and written by a man closer in time and spirit to William Morris than to modern readers. Those who persevere will learn much about Eddic poetry and the great legend of the North, and feel something of the “demonic energy” they project and the “new literary sensation” they created on rediscovery. This is the most unexpected of Tolkien’s many posthumous publications; his son’s “Commentary” is a model of informed accessibility; the poems stand comparison with their Eddic models, and there is little poetry in the world like those.

"an seileachan"

"If any one had begun to rehearse a History, say not I know it well; and if he relate it not right and fully, shake not thine head, twinkle not thine eyes, and snigger not thereat; much less maist thou say, 'It is not so; you deceive yourself.'"

From: Youth's Behaviour, or, Decency in Conversation amongst Men, composed in French by Grave Persons, for the use and benefit of their Youth. The tenth impression. London, 1672

squire
Half-elven

May 7 2009, 10:37pm

Post #2 of 6 (531 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! and no thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of this goes right over my head - the fatal distinction between being a Tolkien fan, and a medievalist, coming into its own, I suppose.

I did catch this little moment:

Christopher Tolkien mentions that his father was much impressed by the terse chiastic verse in the fragmentary “Old Lay”, where Gunnar says, “Mér hefir Sigurđr / selda eiđa, / eiđa selda, / allir logna”, for once closely translated by Tolkien as “Evil wrought Sigurd, / oaths he swore me, / oaths he swore me, / all belied them”. Sigurd and the narrator meanwhile both declare, with slight variation, “Oaths swore Sigurd, / all fulfilled them”.

Clearly J. R. R. Tolkien is quoting himself (in translation) when he composed a fragment of the alliterative lay about the Ride of the Rohirrim, some 15 years later:

Forth rode the king, fear behind him,
fate before him. Fealty kept he; oaths he had taken, all fulfilled them.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 8 2009, 1:04am

Post #3 of 6 (488 views)
Shortcut
Demonic energy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In "The Notion Club Papers", Tolkien used a very similar phrase to describe the power of old stories.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us May 4-10 for "Queer Lodgings".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

visualweasel
Rohan

May 8 2009, 9:33pm

Post #4 of 6 (466 views)
Shortcut
My favorite quote from the review [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I give, all in good fun, somewhat in answer to:

Most of this goes right over my head - the fatal distinction between being a Tolkien fan, and a medievalist, coming into its own, I suppose.

Tom writes: "But if you need everything spelt out, Eddic poetry is not for you, and nor is Icelandic saga: read Trollope instead."

Good advice. Wink

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 11 2009, 3:10am

Post #5 of 6 (490 views)
Shortcut
"flogging a dead Norse" [In reply to] Can't Post

A harsher review that Doug Anderson brought to our attention Friday.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us May 4-10 for "Queer Lodgings".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sador
Half-elven

May 11 2009, 8:26am

Post #6 of 6 (554 views)
Shortcut
"Peter Jackson has a lot to answer for" [In reply to] Can't Post

My, that is harsh!

"It was a good story, that of yours, but I like it still better now I am sure it is true." - Beorn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.