Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Early Storyboards - Orc Persuit into Lothlorien

Elven
Valinor

May 7 2009, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 9 (397 views)
Shortcut
FOTR EE Appendices Discussion - Early Storyboards - Orc Persuit into Lothlorien Can't Post

Hi tornsibs Smile

Today we look at a set of early storyboards depicting a scene which did not make into the film - the Orcs persuing the company as they race towards to woods of Lothlorien.
They certainly made a different entrance in these storyboards.

You might have some thoughts about the scenes on the boards - especially the way they meet the Elves.

These boards ahd no commentary or script, but did have some sounds effects.
It was filmed but was abandoned.
This is the complete set of the boards so you can follow the story and recognize charcters od the Fellowship quite easily.
In its animatic form, its duration was approx 1 minute 30 seconds.
There are 45 frames - so an average of 2 seconds per storyboard.
To view these boards - read them like a comic and the film unfolds.

Do you like this sequence?
Would you have prefered this sequence to the film, or do you think they could of included some orcs to give the impression of the Fellowships situation?
Any other comments you'd like to make?
You're more than welcome to write your own little script to it if you like - humerous versions are welcomed as well Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Smile

Thanks sibs - tomorrow we look at the Sarn Gebir Rapids Chase!
WooT!
Heart

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 8 2009, 12:15am

Post #2 of 9 (214 views)
Shortcut
Orcs and the Nimrodel. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much, yes.

Would you have prefered this sequence to the film, or do you think they could of included some orcs to give the impression of the Fellowships situation?

I really wanted there to be notice of the soothing, cleansing feel of crossing the Nimrodel. I liked in the book that Frodo felt better after being in the water. It would probably have made a larger sense of peril for Orcs to have followed the Fellowship into Lothlorien.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

May 8 2009, 2:12am

Post #3 of 9 (184 views)
Shortcut
I can understand why this was cut... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Osgiliath in ROTK, it's an additional battle that gets overwhelmed by the major ones -- in this case, the Moria and Amon Hen ones. The Osgiliath one, though, is needed to show us what Faramir is going to be facing when his father sends him out on that Death ride later, so they couldn't cut that one.

Here, though, I think they made a wise choice to delete a battle in favor of setting up Galadriel better. One more battle would "not" have been scary here, after the intensity of Moria, but building up Galadriel as a very different kind of threat throws us a curve that is more effective, IMHO. To this day, my kids and husband say the way they introduced Galadriel made her one of the scariest things in the films...

The ending of this sequence is kind of interesting, with everyone being whisked up into the flets like that-- but I wonder if that might not have come across as almost comical on screen. (Whoosh! Where'd they go?)

Also, I really like the entrance of Haldir and those two adrogynous elf guards --

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/fotr/fotr1248.htm

They are my favorite elven extras! Don't they look like the walked right out of the pages of the Sil?

Thanks again for all the images!

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

May 8 2009, 2:18am

Post #4 of 9 (262 views)
Shortcut
a few more minutes would have been a good thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh--just saw some of this in the unused scenes thread gramma posted...
Sure this could have been *used* and I would have enjoyed it. I suppose this may have been cut due to the *other* big fighting scene coming up not too long from now.
That middle shot on the bottom row---I had to look twice--thinking how is come out of a hole in the ground...Blush

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 8 2009, 11:24am

Post #5 of 9 (194 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like the looks of it though. It's a good taste of action, but following up on the Mines of Moria, it would have been too short and uncomparable to stand out. Once again, it is a reasonable cut.

Elven
Valinor

May 9 2009, 7:02am

Post #6 of 9 (140 views)
Shortcut
Yes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much, yes.

I really wanted there to be notice of the soothing, cleansing feel of crossing the Nimrodel. I liked in the book that Frodo felt better after being in the water. It would probably have made a larger sense of peril for Orcs to have followed the Fellowship into Lothlorien.

Maybe my questions are a bit too leading ... but I also thought a few orcs following would have shown the peril the Fellowship were in ... but most of the shots also seem to be during the day, so those bug eyed orcs might have looked a bit silly out in the daylight ...

and the healing of the Nimrodel is a good pickup point too ..

Cheers Alcarcalime Smile
Elven x

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Elven
Valinor

May 9 2009, 7:06am

Post #7 of 9 (134 views)
Shortcut
Nice one ... [In reply to] Can't Post

To this day, my kids and husband say the way they introduced Galadriel made her one of the scariest things in the films...

LOL!! thats true ... as she came down those stairs the expectation of what PJ had plaaned for he was pretty high ... and she was beautifully scary!

Thanks weaver!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Elven
Valinor

May 9 2009, 7:10am

Post #8 of 9 (211 views)
Shortcut
Thanks one ringer .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, there's plenty of action
They really put some effort though into re-writing this part - its very different to what we see on film ... and if it had stayed, then we wouldn't have seen Frodos reaction to Galadriel's voice, and Gimlis great lines about his heightened senses Cool

Thanks for joining in one ringer
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2009, 2:28pm

Post #9 of 9 (108 views)
Shortcut
Now THIS I totall mourn losing!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since they shot pretty much all of it, imho. I don't have the link right here, but I had the shots of this in my Unused Scenes photobucket pics for our 10th Annivesary party in Movie Boards. It shows nearly all of this except when the Fellowship gets pulled up into the trees and onto the flets. But we do see everyone sitting up on the flets as Haldir and Aragorn debate their fate and Boromir speaks to Frodo of not carrying the weight of the dead... one of my favourite moments of Boromir in the film.

THIS is something I want to see added back in. I really, REALLY DO! *grumble, pout*

Thanks Elven. I got all worked up and geeked out about wanting more!!! YOU INSPIRE ME!!! :D

*hugs*

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.