Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An interview with Christopher Tolkien

Owlyross
Rohan

May 5 2009, 11:47am

Post #1 of 22 (2757 views)
Shortcut
An interview with Christopher Tolkien Can't Post

About Sigurd and Gudrun, but with some interesting questions (and answers) about LotR and the Sil...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/may/05/jrr-tokien-sigurd-gudrun-poem

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 5 2009, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 22 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am not a huge fan of poems and don't know yet if I'll get this one, the interview was interesting nonetheless. It might never reach the popularity of his Middle-earth stories, but it's good to know it is publicly available.

Above all the work that has come my way from my appointment as my father's literary executor, I have taken as my primary task the publication of his unpublished writings in forms as accessible and as accurate as I could make them. Looking back, it is strange to see how little was known of the whole conception of Middle-Earth when he died. This also is for me an absolute justification for the work that I have done.

Couldn't agree more here! I'll forever be grateful to CT for publishing as much of his father's work as he did. And I'm with Christopher about Sam's last name
Wink

His answer to the question what his father might have thought about his popularity made me smile. Quite a range of emotions, but he's probably right Smile And the boar story was just hilarious!

Thanks, Owlyross!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Owlyross
Rohan

May 5 2009, 3:33pm

Post #3 of 22 (1412 views)
Shortcut
I think he's got a secret boar army [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd never say, especially if he had one... Wink

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Larewen
Lorien

May 5 2009, 11:44pm

Post #4 of 22 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing that [In reply to] Can't Post

He mentioned:

But it was long my father's ultimately unfulfilled ambition to tell three of the major individual stories from The Silmarillion in a much fuller form than was suitable for that work itself; and it is clear that if he had completed any one of these tales, he would have wished to publish it as a separate work, despite its being part of a much larger history.

If Children of Hurin is one, I am guessing Beren and Luthien would be two, which would be the third story?

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 6 2009, 12:54am

Post #5 of 22 (1352 views)
Shortcut
3rd story? [In reply to] Can't Post

The story of Gondolin? I would of loved to had a broader story written about the rise and fall of Gondolin.

In Reply To
He mentioned:

But it was long my father's ultimately unfulfilled ambition to tell three of the major individual stories from The Silmarillion in a much fuller form than was suitable for that work itself; and it is clear that if he had completed any one of these tales, he would have wished to publish it as a separate work, despite its being part of a much larger history.

If Children of Hurin is one, I am guessing Beren and Luthien would be two, which would be the third story?

Marching Towards the Abyss...........

Larewen
Lorien

May 6 2009, 12:56am

Post #6 of 22 (1355 views)
Shortcut
I thought of Gondolin too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would there be another?

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 6 2009, 1:07am

Post #7 of 22 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Nargthond [In reply to] Can't Post

The underground realm of Nargothrond and it's destruction by Glaurung could have been made into a larger story; i'd have liked that as well. I just wish he would have made an epic tale with Beren and Luthien; my favorite part of the Sil. and a beautiful story.

In Reply To
Would there be another?

Marching Towards the Abyss...........

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 6 2009, 2:54am

Post #8 of 22 (1370 views)
Shortcut
It is the Fall of Gondolin [In reply to] Can't Post

That is also the oldest one of any od the Beleriand/Middle Earth stories.

I'm sure someone will come with a better response, more informative at least... but it is the Fall of Gondolin. Wink

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

weaver
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 3:17am

Post #9 of 22 (1339 views)
Shortcut
thanks for posting this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I, also, loved C. Tolkien's description of what his father would have thought to be so popular today -- he knew his dad well!

He also "sounds" like JRRT to me, in the way he phrases things -- it's similar to the way JRRT expresses himself in his letters, IMHO anyway.

Interesting read -- thanks!

Weaver

Beren
Bree

May 6 2009, 7:28am

Post #10 of 22 (1420 views)
Shortcut
CT has now released a wonderful book [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy Christopher Tolkien did this interview and took down some of the 'myths' that came into being after the Lord of the Rings movies.

If you read this new Tolkien book, which I did twice by now, you can see a tremendous love for Northern Mythologies by both JRR Tolkien and his son Christopher, who edited the work. This is clearly a topic he likes, and his introduction and detailed comments are showing this! I'm of the opinion that this is one of the best books released. I know it is not Middle-earth related, but if you open up your hearth you will see a complete new world open up for you; it will give you a bigger understanding why Middle-earth was created and why it is what it is. You can see Tolkien at his very best in these poems, and he reveals much about himself as a person as well. To give an example he uses the metrical form much stricter then even the original auhtors of parts of the Edda, he deplois pagan deities and gives them a catholic twist,...

Well, I'm very impressed by this new book and even a bit overwhelmed. I released my review here: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...igurd_and_Gudrun.php
But in the mean time might have to alter it a bit, since I am now loving the book even better. It is something that seems to need some time,... the love for these poems grows everytime you read them. I'm happy they have been published and I believe this book will finally give CT the respect he deserves!

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

elentari3018
Rohan

May 7 2009, 3:23am

Post #11 of 22 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your enthusiastic response--- [In reply to] Can't Post

I am thinking of buying it soon too-- anything Tolkien should be precioussss. It would be interesting to read about his prior interest and how that influenced some of his writing about Middle-earth. :)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 7 2009, 3:36am

Post #12 of 22 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Iunno [In reply to] Can't Post

The more epic poems I read, the more I like them. Though nothing beats a poet turned novelist for a beautiful read.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 7 2009, 3:39am

Post #13 of 22 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Really enjoyed [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (also a poem). Alas, the only copy I have ever seen was at the university library.

I agree with you and look forward to having a go with this latest posthumus offering.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 7 2009, 5:07am

Post #14 of 22 (1401 views)
Shortcut
It is a good piece... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'll have to pick up the 'new' book. Glad to see he has come out of his shell Wink! I may also have to pick up Sil again and give it a whirl.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 28 2009, 11:35pm

Post #15 of 22 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Further comments by CT on "The Silmarillion" appeared the same week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it hasn't otherwise been mentioned here, I'll note belatedly that a couple days after this interview was published, Carl Hostetter got permission from Christopher Tolkien to post some fascinating comments, partly inspired by the appearance of Voronwë the Faithful's book, Arda Reconstructed, about how CT's History of Middle-earth series differs his unpublished "History of The Silmarillion", a private exercise that runs to some 2,600 pages!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us May 18-24 for "Barrels out of Bond".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2009, 12:46am

Post #16 of 22 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Ummmm.... Mr. N.E.B.... [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME TO HALF-ELVENDOM!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

A little birdie told me you were approaching this milestone... and she was right!

Congratulations, O Wise One :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2009, 1:27am

Post #17 of 22 (1158 views)
Shortcut
OMIGOSH! DUMP THE CONFETTI! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not just any brigand of the hills who can attain the status of Half-Elven: it can only be TORn's own N.E. BRIGAND!

Congratulations on achieving your new status (and it'll be staying with you a long, long time! Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2009, 1:30am

Post #18 of 22 (1167 views)
Shortcut
(And you thought you could get away with this moment, by posting on page 3...!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Nope, there's no place to hide on these new Boards! Cool

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

sador
Half-elven

May 31 2009, 8:21am

Post #19 of 22 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you understood it all [In reply to] Can't Post

That very page N.E.B linked to, shows us that Voronwe the Faithful has collected 15,791 posts in the Hall of Fire - so we really shouldn't be impressed by his puny 5000 posts! Angelic

Nevertheless, even five thousand posts is a lot for the likes of me; and it calls for a tribute:

"Our N. E. Brigand is a pleasnt fellow,
spot-on his questions are, and his tone is mellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for neb, he is the master:
His book-lore incredible, and he finds links faster."

"I could eat anything in the wide world now, for hours on end - but not an apple!" - Fili

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2009, 2:20am

Post #20 of 22 (1147 views)
Shortcut
*applauds* Oh, perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2009, 5:38pm

Post #21 of 22 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Somebody has become Half-elven, so I see! [In reply to] Can't Post

*clangs bell and sets off siren*

This did just happen, didn't it? Or have I been living under a rock?

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2009, 5:41pm

Post #22 of 22 (1194 views)
Shortcut
CLANGCLANGCLANG A-OOGA! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed, too. Congrats on Half-elvendom, sir!

*sets off siren*

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.