Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR EE ~ Appendices Discussions ~ Book to Script - Early Storyboards - The Prologue

Elven
Valinor

May 4 2009, 7:57pm

Post #1 of 9 (1250 views)
Shortcut
FOTR EE ~ Appendices Discussions ~ Book to Script - Early Storyboards - The Prologue Can't Post

Hi tornsibs Smile
we move on with the Early Prologue storyboards ...

Today we look at the Storyboards which depict the Battle at Dargorlad.

So far we have covered:
The Introduction of the Races of Middle-Earth – Elves, Dwarves and Men.
The Introduction of Orcs, Mordor, Mount Doom, Sauron the Dark Lord.
The Making of the Rings of Power and The Making of the One Ring.

Today I have chosen a set of storyboards depict:
History: The Battle of the Last Alliance.
The Introduction of Gil-galad and Aeglas, and Isildur and Narsil.
A near victory for Elves and Men
Saruman enters the Battle
The Death of Gil-galad and the attack on Elendil

Regarding the time line of the story points:
(03.27 through to 05.02) In a time of 95 seconds we see 78 storyboards which carry the visual references for this story. They are passing on an average of just over 1 second per frame. Two of these frames are animacs – depicting a scene where the arrows are flying. So we see the pace has picked up – the storyboards are coming fast and furious.

Due to having so many boards I thought we would concentrate mainly on those boards which are descriptive of the action, and those which have script attached to them. 95 boards are a little too many to post, me thinks.

So, too battle! .....

First sight of the battle:
The last frame we saw yesterday was Sauron wearing the One Ring, and the Title Lord of the Rings appears .... we go straight into jump cuts of Orcs fighting elves, and Men fighting Orcs – commands being given, arrows flying, orc being killed, and solidarity between men and elves against the evil or Mordor.

The Script:
We see above the Battle field, and are told that the Orcs are pushed back behind the Black Gate and back into Mordor – the Good guys are winning ... until Sauron appears. Then suddenly we see his stature and his true power as he wipes elves and men from the plains with his mace like crumbs from a table.

But we see he also knows who he is wanting to target, and after killing the Elven Lord, Sauron strikes and mortally wounds Elendil.

These points in the story stay true to the original vision – although I did notice during the 10th Anniversary celebrations Gramma had a selection of photos which depicted film footage nearer to these storyboards which were cut from the film version.

My opinion is that that in editing some of the Elven Lords from the footage, we don’t get to characterize and identify them as much as say Elrond, Elendil and Isildur. Possibly because the 3 characters (I named) are mentioned more than once in the films as they play out – (Boromir brings this home at the Council of Elrond when he is told by Legolas who Aragorn is – he mentions Isildur and Elendil).

I’m not sure I have any deep and meaningful questions related to this part of the story – though maybe there is something I have overlooked. Please comment on anything you like about the story, the script or the boards.

What did you feel about the script so far in explaining the story?

Was it all that necessary to mention Aeglas (the spear)? Why? What did it add to the story for you?

Did you get a sense of the size of Sauron – do you think they made him larger than the storyboard depicts him, on film?

If Frodo was narrating this script – do you think he would have done justice to emphasize the importance of these events – or would he have sounded like an overawed excited Hobbit at a banquet table?

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

frederica bolger
Lorien

May 4 2009, 11:23pm

Post #2 of 9 (881 views)
Shortcut
interesting point about size... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Sauron here reminds me of the outsized Morgoth in the Sil, especially the amored boots marching. This giant device probably works better in books than in film where it can look a bit 'effecty'. And Sauron lifting up Elendil by the neck reminds me of the Witch King with Eowyn; not sure I liked this device there either.

The Prologue in the film relies a lot less on the narrator's voice; the images explain themselves, and CB makes the moments where she does talk over the action really count. I don't know whether a 'young' voice would have worked here. But I would find it interesting if Christopher Lee had narrated the Prologue; he's been around for a while and has a great voice for epic narration.

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 5 2009, 12:31am

Post #3 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut
It seems to me. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

that the story board here is a lot more generic than depicting the scenes exactly. I wonder how they came up with the exact scenes if particular shots like the wave attack against the line of Elves isn’t shown as a story board.

I think that they did a terrific job of story explanation in the prolog. They boiled it down to its essence, packed it with all the vital information and did it in a marvelously artistic way.

Was it all that necessary to mention Aeglas (the spear)? Why? What did it add to the story for you?
They mentioned the spear Aeglas at this point because at this stage you throw everything in and then start trimming away.

Did you get a sense of the size of Sauron – do you think they made him larger than the storyboard depicts him, on film?

Looks about the same to me.

If Frodo was narrating this script – do you think he would have done justice to emphasize the importance of these events – or would he have sounded like an overawed excited Hobbit at a banquet table?

I think that the scene would have lost so much. Frodo describing this battle would just not have worked IMHO.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 2:41am

Post #4 of 9 (825 views)
Shortcut
78 storyboards in 95 seconds? [In reply to] Can't Post

You are much better at math than me if you could count that fast! Are you sure you didn't miss one? Tongue

I do like the bit where Sauron swings that mace around -- (wiping elves and men from the plain like crumbs from a table -- ha!)
After that trick, he really doesn't need to actually pick up guys by the neck and strangle them, does he?

I think if they had thrown all of the names of people, places and things at us here, the audience would have been so busy trying to take all that in that it would have been a barrier to just getting sucked into the story -- that's a lot to process.

For example, even though it's cool to hear the weapons named here, it probably did work better to just refer to Narsil as "his father's sword" -- it's a less-jargony way to give the sword an "identity". Same thing is achieved by saying "Mount Doom" rather than "Oridruin"; it's better if they just give us references that are easier to take in, rather than trying to teach us a new language.

Is this your last post this week? I just want to give you big round of applause if it is! You took on an extra week of stuff, included a huge number of images (that all takes time to do), included a lot of the dialogue (that takes time to include, too!) did it when you were having computer problems, managed to work it all in around the Anniversary Party activities, and then turned around and did a RR discussion right after this.

There should surely be a medal of some kind for that kind of service to this place -- thanks so much!

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

May 6 2009, 2:58am

Post #5 of 9 (867 views)
Shortcut
Lovin' the Prologue... [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly had my attention. Strange--I had *heard about* LotR or maybe TH at some point in time (still think I must have caught a glimpse of one of the animated versions) but was by no means a *fan*. The prologue pulled me right in...yeah!

Ha! You're getting an answer from someone who didn't know Gil-Galad from Glorfindel this time last year...so the mention of Aeglas would have added not a thing for me.

Hard to tell...the proportion or scale or ratio (whatever *that* term is) seems different when looking at Sauron lifting Gil-Galad vs. his standing in front of the group of Men/Elves. In the film this always seems *off* to me-can't explain why--it's a scale...size...thing.

Not necessarily overawed--Frodo/Elijah did a fine job narrating later in the story. The weight of the Prologue called for a voice with some depth/maturity (like Galadriel's). The Frodo we will first see doesn't have that--yet.

(This post was edited by batik on May 6 2009, 2:58am)

Elven
Valinor

May 7 2009, 6:09pm

Post #6 of 9 (876 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou everyone for your comments ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Its been a mad week, so I am racing against the clock, but I wanted to say thankyou for joining in and posting your comments on this section of the Early Storyboards.

Much appreciated!
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 13 2009, 4:56pm

Post #7 of 9 (796 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how I wish these scenes were complete [In reply to] Can't Post

in the films! It would have been great to have the power of Narsil more apparent, and so give it more weight in the rest of the story. About the only thing we had was Elendil holding it aloft at the battle.

And Gil-galad. IF IF IF they were to expande the films, I'll bet they have some of the footage with Elendil and Gil-galad and of Elrond and Gil-galad.... maybe even having the Ring pass to Elrond, which we never really see his ownership of in the films.

These are GREAT Elven. I'm playing catch-up... so I'll be going back to the posts from everyone that have fallen off the boards. This is too cool to miss! :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

May 13 2009, 5:35pm

Post #8 of 9 (818 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you gramma .. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it a little difficult to get my head around who was who in the storyboards in the battle scene, (unless there was an indicator in the script) as the only was to tell some of the 'crowd' scenes where by the head dress - and as the storyboards were moving along so quickly I couldn't catch repeat appearences - and you know what Elves are like - they all look the same Wink Shocked

Thanks for your comments gramms.
Much appreciated!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2009, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 9 (821 views)
Shortcut
psst... [In reply to] Can't Post

*whispers behind hand* I'm finally getting back to your pre-vis-ous posts! Sorry it's taken me so long... but I'm determined to get caught up on everyone's brilliant presentations!!

THANKS! :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.