First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2007, 4:58am

Post #1 of 98 (11413 views)
Shortcut
Prayers etc needed for 'The Hobbit' movie Can't Post

Dear TORnsibs,
I know a number of you feel, like me, quite distressed by the blocked situation regarding the making of the film many of us had earlier started awaiting so eagerly and joyfully: 'The Hobbit', envisaged by the then obvious would be director, Peter Jackson, as one film, plus another one bridging over to the existing LOTR films.
For my part, I have from the beginning signed a (polite) petition, sent one or two (polite) email messages to New Line, but after that have found myself painfully unable since long months to do anything else that might help unblock the situation.
This is a sick situation, no doubt about that.
So, seeing the other day on the 'Off Topic' board a request for prayers, good wishes etc regarding someone's health, I suddenly felt this was just what was needed also to help 'The Hobbit' situation heal as quickly as possible, and in the best possible way.
This is why I now come to all of you who might want to help in that endeavour: could we, each one at our own time and place, but united in spirit, pray daily, or send our thoughts, or whatever, for the best possible solution regarding 'The Hobbit' movie?
The power of our collective thoughts and of the love in our hearts is waiting to be used also for such purposes that at least for a good number of us are dear.
If some of the actors too, or anyone (including Bob Shaye) who has been part in some way of the magnificent success that the LOTR films have been, happen to see this, let them feel free to join as well, for this is an invitation for all people of good will.
Blaming and accusing may have played their role too, in clarifying for all to see the responsibilities involved, but in the end only thoughts of harmony can help bring about the reconciliation needed, and the solution that both parties will be able to feel happy to agree on, for the ultimate benefit of all of us!...
I hope many of you will be moved to participate in this.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 19 2007, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 98 (8778 views)
Shortcut
I will join you [In reply to] Can't Post

The immense power that is our thoughts can accomplish great things. If Peter et.al. were to focus their total concentration, for just minutes a day, upon the outcome of their version/interpretation of The Hobbit, it would come to pass.

Therefore, I agree with your view of the collective consiousness focusing together in making this a reality. Heart

Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back....
Frodo opened his eyes and drew a breath....'Thank you, Sam,' he said in a cracked whisper. 'How far is there to go?' --RotK, "Mount Doom"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 3:07pm

Post #3 of 98 (8854 views)
Shortcut
I think there are a lot more important things in this world... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that need praying over and the making of the Hobbit is not one of the them, IMO.

If you want something to pray for, how about those poor people at Virginia Tech and their families? Or the poor people dying all over the world due to famine, disease and war? Or those who are in depths of desperation and need help coming out of the darkness? Or for peace and understanding among people of different beliefs, cultures and lifestyles?

As much as I like Peter Jackson, praying for two parties who have tons of money in the bank and who aren't exactly thinking about the welfare of any particular Tolkien fan (an ill one notwithstanding) seems a bit inappropriate (for lack of a better word) to me.

But if it makes you feel better, then by all means, go for it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will happen, but my prayers are reserved for those who really need it.

'esquey
The Shire

Apr 19 2007, 3:17pm

Post #4 of 98 (8827 views)
Shortcut
Dear God, [In reply to] Can't Post

We earnestly pray that you please unblock the situation involving "The Hobbit" and make it possible for that film to be made so that your attention can go back to helping those who really are in need of your guidance and mercy, like the family members of those killed in the VTech shootings or in Iraq yesterday.

Amen.

*Formerly known as Frodo-esque*

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 98 (8813 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why diedye, you're being profound. And I agree 100%

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 3:38pm

Post #6 of 98 (8780 views)
Shortcut
I guess one can feel blessed [In reply to] Can't Post

...if this is the thing that needs most attention in their life through focused thought and prayer. There are just other things higher on my priority list that need and deserve my attention and focused energy.

A Magpie's Nest Soundtrack Site has been updated with new lyric information for TTT.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 19 2007, 3:45pm

Post #7 of 98 (8712 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 98 (8817 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

while the Hobbit movie isn't very high on my priority list, the responses to this post are disturbing me. They have the flavor of "My prayers are sooo much more important than yours." I dunno. I talk to God about all sorts of things, from horrors I read about in the newspapers to little irritations with my family. What harm is there in bringing all our concerns to God, no matter how tiny? It's not like she's too small to listen to them all. At least that's what I think. In my prayer conversations, one thing I've come away with is that scale doesn't matter. The fact that the universe is huge doesn't negate the importance of one human life, or one animal life for that matter. If I'm weeping over a dead hamster, God is with me. And I don't think that moment is improper, no matter how many more important things there may be to weep over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 19 2007, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 98 (8789 views)
Shortcut
I confess [In reply to] Can't Post

To sending up prayers such as this:

Dear God
Please speed my paycheck to the bank, that it may get there before the mortgage payment does.

And God always takes care of me.

I'll certainly pray for the victims/survivors of all the tragedies and perils in the world, but I suppose I could spare a brief prayer for The Hobbit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 19 2007, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 98 (8740 views)
Shortcut
Mea culpa. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that anyone should be able to pray for whatever is important to them. I bring many prayers to God; large and small. I'm not saying people shouldn't pray for the Hobbit. I don't, however, believe that it's on par with health or life and death issues. I think that at this particular time it may not be as well received because of the VT massacre and Iraq and Afghanistan, too.

Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 19 2007, 6:14pm

Post #11 of 98 (8776 views)
Shortcut
Agree absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither The Hobbit nor my little prayers are on a par with life and death issues, and I am absolutely not suggesting we ignore these things. Sadly, however, tragedy is always with us.

One of the reasons that this thread got my mind to working: Today is the anniversary of the 1995 bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City, a senseless act which cost 168 lives. (The mother of my veterinarian lost her life in that tragedy.) Twelve years after the fact, I took a moment this morning to think about those victims.

So, twelve years ago we had Oklahoma City and this week we had Virginia Tech. Sadly, we have had plenty of tragic events in between as well. All we can do is go on with our daily lives, and that includes prayers for simple needs and everyday comforts, while still remembering and honoring those who need our thoughts and prayers most of all.

I felt about as welcome

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 19 2007, 6:23pm

Post #12 of 98 (8676 views)
Shortcut
Well said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 6:23pm

Post #13 of 98 (8789 views)
Shortcut
Nobody died... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh for pete's sake (no pun intended)! A movie hasn't been made yet by a person of interest... that's hardly equal to someone being ill or dead or having a life problem... or even saying thanks for the life you've got. Talking to God is one thing... asking for another Peter Jackson blockbuster is hardly worthy of a prayer vigil.

You want the movie to be made? Nag the parties involved or boycott or whatever. I think God has bigger fish to fry.

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 6:57pm

Post #14 of 98 (8738 views)
Shortcut
Aye... [In reply to] Can't Post

But do you ask for a collective prayer over your bank statement?

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 7:04pm

Post #15 of 98 (8755 views)
Shortcut
Clarification... [In reply to] Can't Post

In case y'all are thinking I'm dumping on mae govannen, I'm not. The fact that she wears her faith on her sleeve like that should be commendable.

But as I said off-site, it's bad enough that people who actually have faith and believe in something and do pray get ridiculed and shot down... requests to pray for something frivolous seems to diminish its importance. (And yes, I too am guilty of privately asking for things that are hardly life-changing... I just don't do it publicly or ask for a prayer group to work on it).

Having said that, if you, mae govannen, feel that I've slighted you somehow, then I apologize. My intention was not to hurt you... just to add a little perspective.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 19 2007, 7:06pm

Post #16 of 98 (8736 views)
Shortcut
I didn't articulate it well, but that's where I'm coming from. [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely believe that anyone should pray for whatever is important to them, but you raise things to another level when you bring it to the www.

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 19 2007, 7:17pm

Post #17 of 98 (8740 views)
Shortcut
Well, that solution never occurred to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But if it's the idea of a collective prayer as opposed to individual prayers that's bothering you, I suppose I can see your point. I think you're saying that setting up a prayer thread for The Hobbit trivializes prayer threads for life and death matters such as the horrific tragedy at Virginia Tech, and that's a valid argument, although I certainly don't think that was mae govannen's intention.

I suppose we can't really set up prayer vigils entreating that our bank statements balance and our cars start in the morning, although many of us pray for these things, or thank God when they do happen, all the time, and those prayers are valid too.

I felt about as welcome

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 7:34pm

Post #18 of 98 (8752 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m feeling like back in high school, where a lot of the guys were wanting to have a team prayer for us to win a football game. But that just didn’t seem right to some of us. So Coach came up with a prayer where we prayed that we played with honor, that that we played to our best ability, that we honored God in the way we played, and that we played injury free, God’s will be done.

I'd think something like that would be more appropriate, but maybe it's just me.

Also, who we going to pray to?

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 19 2007, 7:39pm)

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 7:58pm

Post #19 of 98 (8707 views)
Shortcut
Good question... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since different people believe in different things.

How about we just send out some really good bribes... I mean... vibes.

Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 8:06pm

Post #20 of 98 (8719 views)
Shortcut
We can be hamburgers. [In reply to] Can't Post

We can just sit around being "one with everything".

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 8:24pm

Post #21 of 98 (8741 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for your beautifully-written post. Tomorrow is also the eighth anniversary of the Columbine shootings. Here's the poem I wrote at the time:

Blue and Silver

Winter comes late in Colorado.
After a long, dry winter, in April it snowed and snowed,
A spring snow, heavy and wet as tears.
I went to the store to buy ribbons:
Blue and silver ribbons to pin like a flower above my heart.
I found purple ribbons, green and yellow, red and gold.
But on every rack, a gaping hole where the blue should be,
And empty spools that once held silver.
I knew where the silver and the blue ribbons were:
Despite the falling snow, all over Colorado,
Silver and blue columbines
Were blooming on every heart.

April 25, 1999

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 19 2007, 8:31pm

Post #22 of 98 (8685 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lovely poem.

I felt about as welcome

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 3:18am

Post #23 of 98 (8674 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for your answer so straight and simple :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 20 2007, 3:38am

Post #24 of 98 (8700 views)
Shortcut
You said what I didn't want to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks diedye,

mae govannen means well, and I'd love to see the Hobbit movie made.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 5:13am

Post #25 of 98 (8780 views)
Shortcut
How do you know I'm not praying also for those things?... [In reply to] Can't Post

It so happens that my whole life since 34 years is a kind of permanent, living prayer for all those things: this is exactly why in 1972, instead of remaining a young teacher in France, I decided to join the developing 'universal township' of Auroville here in South India.
It is a very officially recognised international project, supported by UNESCO, where people from all over the world come, to visit or to stay, in order to learn how we humans can live together in a better way. Actually, it is a living laboratory for the further evolution of humankind, for only a change of consciousness in the human species as a whole can heal the deep causes of all the horrible things that keep happening around the world.
So, as you see, I am dealing with all those things you mention, not just through prayer, but at the deepest and most complete possible level of personal involvement: it's in fact what my whole life is about.
Also, for me Tolkien was another person who deeply felt and thought about exactly all these kinds of problems linked with the present nature of human beings, and tried in his own way to help; the very reason why I love him so much, not just as a writer, but as a person as well, is that he addressed all these problems in his writings, without even wanting to: just because all this was so much in his consciousness all the time, it couldn't but overspill, so to say, in what he was writing.
As far as stories are concerned, I believe LOTR and The Hobbit to be amongst those that can influence humanity the most in the right direction, this is why I'm immensely grateful to JRRT first of all for having written those books, and now also to PJ for having brought LOTR to the screen in a way that enthused and opened to the book so many millions of people.
We are here on TORn, a site dedicated to Tolkien; and this is the Movie Discussion board; I really don't see in which way it is inappropriate and scandalous to put up such an invitation as the specific one I put, on this specific board of that specific site.
Quite obviously, the timing has been a big part of the problem, and I had no idea about that until I saw some of the answers here: for many of you who live in the USA, there was that tremendous shock of the horrible news from Virginia, so I can fully understand how ridiculously disproportionate the concern I was voicing in this post must have seemed to you in that part of the world. I'm really sorry for that, and I understand the indignation it may have caused you to feel.
But in the part of the world where I live, the news from Virginia didn't even make it into the 'important news from the world', and I just didn't know about it myself, so I hope you will forgive me for that involuntary insensitiveness.

Still, even now that I am aware of the state of mind you must have been in out there, what I see that is in common to all the horrible events, small or big, everywhere, any time, is their deep root cause: and again, for me Tolkien and the inner beauty he expressed and called for, and the 'estel' he advocated and lived with himself in spite of all, are an important part of the inner remedies that Humanity badly needs in order to evolve further and rid itself at last of all those horrors.
So, what I invited everyone to pray for, in whichever way they would choose, was not at all, as you believe, two specific egoes locked in a battle over more money than they already have; it was on the contrary to pray for the melting away in them of those very feelings and inner attitudes, which are the UNIVERSAL problem behind all the problems Humanity is facing.
If in those two human beings in this specific problem, something can be helped to happen that will lead to a harmonious solution, it will help inevitably all other human beings in their own inner struggles with feelings and inner attitudes that, if not exactly the same, originate nevertheless from the very same root-cause.
So, in my eyes, my invitation still has the same universal validity and urgency as it had for me when I posted it, and I still hope, now that this clarification on my part has been added to it, that a number of us will feel moved to join in it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.