Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's your favorite sport to play or watch?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's your favorite sport to play or watch?
Tennis
Soccer
Rugby
Football
Basktball
Boxing
Racing
Hockey
Cricket
Lacrosse
Hurling
Skateboarding
Walking
I don't follow sports
Baseball
Other
View Results (48 votes)

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 9 2009, 3:47pm

Post #51 of 67 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yeeeeeey [In reply to] Can't Post

Good girl SafinaCool I thought she might get tight in earlyon in that second set but she put a pretty good beatdown on Svetlana. I hope this bodes well for Safina at the French Open; she will go in very confident.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 9 2009, 4:25pm

Post #52 of 67 (312 views)
Shortcut
Wow that Cobra is lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

A thrill for us about ten or so years ago was, we were visiting cyber friends in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. We saw some of the real nasty bitties in a demonstration at a zoo. We were there in the winter (which was extremely mild) so I didn't worry to much about encountering them. Later on, we were driving to a weekend get-a-away up in the rain forest, when we came across a car that was parked on the side of the road, we saw this nice young man in the middle of the road shooing a very large, thick snake. We get out of the car to see a python taking his time to get to the other side. This is one of the many things I love about Australians and Kiwis too for that matter, their sense of were human kind fits in natures scheme.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't believe my ears last night when after one of the breaks, The Tennis Channel announced they were skipping ahead in the game because of time restraints. Time restraints!!!!! Most of their coverage is repeats. So they skipped ahead so they could show the same game we were watching again. I don't think they would not have done this to a men's semi final.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 9 2009, 5:59pm

Post #53 of 67 (333 views)
Shortcut
Rafa made, The 2009 TIME 100, The World's Most Influential People. [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be interested in reading this by Serena.
http://www.time.com/...4289_1894269,00.html

Snip
I want to be like him. The attitude he exudes the moment he walks out on the court is the attitude of a true champion. A champion whose desire to win is the same as the desire of a lion to eat. Stalking his prey with force and speed, Nadal, 22, has already become one of the game's all-time best.
`````````````````````````
Wow I don't know too many players on the women's side, that could hold that trophy up over their heads like Rafa is doing in the picture.Laugh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this bodes well for Safina at the French Open; she will go in very confident.

I think it will.
She seems to be having problems closing games out. But I think as she wins more tournaments, this will improve.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 9 2009, 6:39pm

Post #54 of 67 (375 views)
Shortcut
thx [In reply to] Can't Post

but unfortunately I can't seem to pull that link you posted up to readUnsure

Rafa is imo a pit bull that just totally overwhelms opponents not only physically, but mentally. He fights EVERY point like it's his last. I don't know any player other than maybe the Williams sisters who do that; maybe not even them as sometimes they lose their intensity and know their strenghts and experience will catch up and get them back in the game. Rafa takes losing 1 point in each game personally. I love it. Not to take anything away from him at all, but the reason he beats Roger on hard courts isn't because he's better{he is better and virtually unbeatable on clay}, it's because he's burrowed so far into Fed's head that Fed panics. Roger should have by anyone's standards have beat Rafa at the Oz Open. Rafa had played a 5 hour semi-final set and was tired, while Rog had 2 days rest. Rafa just refuses to give up and you could see Roger fall apart. That was the single worst serving game I ever saw Roger play. That is 50% of Rafa's greatness, the ability to scare an opponent; Imo anyways....I don't see how anyone could not like Rafa. The guy is almost violent in his game and if a tennis fan can't appreciate the intensity he plays with than they are just haters.

I will be interested to see how long his knees hold up to the constant beating they take. When he starts to lose it downstairs with his knees he will hit the wall fast; and it will be over for him. I think he's got several more years left and I could see him winning the French Open another 4-5 years in a row; not to mention some more Wimby's. I do though hope Rog can at least get his Wimby crown back this year. He'll never beat Rafa on clay. And I still think Rog is the man at the US Open, as it's a very fast court and he beats Rafa every time, at least for a couple years.

And yeah Australia is great environmentally wise. My favorite snakes are in Oz but it is hard to get a hold of them as Oz doesn't allow the exportation of its animals, which is good.

Anyways thx for the link I'll try to pull it up later againSmile

In Reply To
You may be interested in reading this by Serena.
http://www.time.com/...4289_1894269,00.html

Snip
I want to be like him. The attitude he exudes the moment he walks out on the court is the attitude of a true champion. A champion whose desire to win is the same as the desire of a lion to eat. Stalking his prey with force and speed, Nadal, 22, has already become one of the game's all-time best.
`````````````````````````
Wow I don't know too many players on the women's side, that could hold that trophy up over their heads like Rafa is doing in the picture.Laugh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this bodes well for Safina at the French Open; she will go in very confident.

I think it will.
She seems to be having problems closing games out. But I think as she wins more tournaments, this will improve.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

May 11 2009, 5:36pm

Post #55 of 67 (279 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my. [In reply to] Can't Post

One (or more, they were never sure) of those things got loose in an apartment building here in the DFW area a few years ago. What really freaked me out was that the news report only said the block and street it happened on. I had lived on that block a few years before so I called my old apartment manager. Turns out it actually happened across the street, but still.

They never did find the thing(s). They could still be there, for all I know.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 11 2009, 6:04pm

Post #56 of 67 (403 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

though in reality it is far from funny. Venomous keepers have no busines keeping in apartment complexes, and I'm sure the management wasn't aware of it. As far as them getting out they were probably in less than adequate cages{most likely aquariums with screentops}. Mine couldn't get out of their enclosures no matter how hard they try.They are locked and even so the glass is too heavy to move; and if by some chance they did get out they are in a secure room so they wouldn't be going anywhereSly The people who had them in the apartment complex should have been arrested.

In Reply To
One (or more, they were never sure) of those things got loose in an apartment building here in the DFW area a few years ago. What really freaked me out was that the news report only said the block and street it happened on. I had lived on that block a few years before so I called my old apartment manager. Turns out it actually happened across the street, but still.

They never did find the thing(s). They could still be there, for all I know.

Ciars
Rohan

May 19 2009, 5:52pm

Post #57 of 67 (240 views)
Shortcut
Water! [In reply to] Can't Post

As in waterpolo and swimming I "played" waterpolo and am a regular swimmer and I love watching the matches on TV!!

Fionnan2
Rivendell

May 19 2009, 9:55pm

Post #58 of 67 (270 views)
Shortcut
My favourite sport, soccer [In reply to] Can't Post

Both to play and watch. I've noticed you have hurling on the list, the fastest game in the world and one of the most dangerous. My brother broke both his wrists playing hurling. I didn't know that walking was considered a sport.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 19 2009, 10:16pm

Post #59 of 67 (253 views)
Shortcut
There is a fine line between sport and exercise... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to think of activities most members would do or watch. My memory is so sharp that I forgot baseball of all things. Thank goodness for helpful mods.

About twenty years or so, my husband and I made our first trip to Ireland and became a big fans of hurling. We watched a few games, even came back with a stick and a sliotar from Kenmare. Somehow I don't think we would get by airport security nowadays with the stick. Sly

Fionnan2
Rivendell

May 19 2009, 10:42pm

Post #60 of 67 (229 views)
Shortcut
Yes I see what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoyed your'e visit to Ireland. By the way did you manage to practice your'e hurling skills?

Woodyend
Gondor

May 21 2009, 1:41am

Post #61 of 67 (263 views)
Shortcut
Loved both times we visited the land of saints and scholars. [In reply to] Can't Post

We only had one stick so it was a bit hard to beat the ball around.

Fruit of Laurelin
Rivendell

May 29 2009, 3:05am

Post #62 of 67 (259 views)
Shortcut
Archery, horse-riding, fencing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love archery and have been doing it for more than a year and a half. I also save up my money to go horseriding occasionally. Fencing, well, I like wacking people with sticks, does that count? The only other thing I do is walking. Wow, I didn't realise how much LOTR had gotten to me.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2009, 2:32am

Post #63 of 67 (206 views)
Shortcut
Okay, laugh at me if you must... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, most people find this hysterical and counter to their concept of me, but I like to watch pro-wrestling. Now, hear me out, because there's a good reason for this. I used to absolutely hate it. My brothers would take over the television, and when I got angry, they'd tell me to go to my room and read something... explains the bookworm I am, right? Well, when I started my first job doing counseling at an elementary school, I worked with a couple of little boys who loved pro-wrestling. I started watching so I could figure out who these people were that the boys looked up to, and I was able to use the example of one of the wrestlers to help a kid gain confidence in himself... and it worked. As time has gone on, I've watched it just for fun.

Yes, I know people say "wrestling is fake," but what people don't understand is how much harder it can be to execute a move, make it look convincing, and make sure you and the other guy aren't seriously hurt. There's quite an art to that. Plus, some (not all to be sure), but some of the wrestlers are good actors. They don't get much time at all to practice and study their lines as most stage or film actors do, and some of them can still manage to deliver their lines convincingly.

It's more entertainment than sport, but at times it's pretty fun.

Fruit of Laurelin
Rivendell

Jun 6 2009, 11:10pm

Post #64 of 67 (236 views)
Shortcut
Wow, the wrestlers must be damn good actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never once suspected they were just pretending to wrestle.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 8 2009, 12:45am

Post #65 of 67 (224 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, some of them are better than others. Wink

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jul 7 2009, 8:05pm

Post #66 of 67 (291 views)
Shortcut
medieval sport combat// [In reply to] Can't Post

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Jun 10 2010, 6:21pm

Post #67 of 67 (346 views)
Shortcut
Ultimate Frisbee // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.