Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Pippin's Return to the Shire Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 3 2009, 8:08pm

Post #1 of 13 (7300 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Pippin's Return to the Shire Costume? Can't Post

Pippin's costume is similar to his Gondorian livery, but only a few pieces are actually reused (the gloves and belt, and probably the pants).

We start with a quilted red shirt. AlleyCatScratch identifies it as a silk fabric, a shot silk taffeta, which is a stiff silk that's been woven with both red and black thread so that the color changes in the light.

Over this we get a beautiful long black velvet tunic with the Gondorian tree embroidered on the front. This one is longer than his tunic in Minas Tirith. It's split in the front and back for riding. Interestingly, the other three hobbits' clothing is all split along the sides rather than front and back.

In Minas Tirith, the white tree on his outfit does not include the crown. It's been included in the design for his return trip.

We add a belt and gloves over this.

And then we have this fantastic black velvet cloak with silver trim around the edges.

The fabric from the cloak hangs from a yoke (a more fitted part around the collar). It ties at the top with leather strings and has silver stars embroidered at the collar.

Some more pictures and details can be found over at AlleyCatScratch.

So, any thoughts?

And with that, we've covered all four of the hobbits' return clothing, all of the outfits shown in only one scene in the films. Hobbitlove sent me this great picture of the four hobbits in all their finery Smile

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at some of the detail in the LOTR films, one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. Previous discussions can always be found over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for April

Artanis
Rohan

May 3 2009, 8:27pm

Post #2 of 13 (4349 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the belts. And that black velvet tunic is so beautiful.....I want one!!

The pic of them all together is very grandSmile

Artanis

Listening: LOTR soundrack
Random Delights: TORN, Facebook (and LOTRo, hopefully, one day..please)

Elven
Valinor

May 3 2009, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 13 (4403 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the handsome one ... [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic costume - black and silver - very striking combination. Modern almost.
I wondered how practical the belt was - great design, but you'd need a good pair of hips to keep that from falling down.
The cloak looks so warm and comfortable - and heavy.
I like the red shot silk - what do you call the crossing stiches - is it quilting?

Billy looks really good in this costumes - the colours suit him.
and that is a great picture of them all in their finery!

Thanks Arwens Daughter! Heart
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

sara
Lorien

May 4 2009, 12:16am

Post #4 of 13 (4336 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

First, I just want to say-

All of the costumes in LOTR are so beautiful and highly detailed and each design is very deserving of a close up look, layer by layer to admire each intricate detail, but that's not possible in the movies, so it's wonderful that you've made that possible here on TORn!

I absolutely love looking at the images and reading through the descriptions that you provide!

I might've said this all before, but if I did it's okay because it's worth saying again. So, thanks so much!

Now on to Pippin's attire-

My most noteable points with this costume:

The red shirt...wow! I would've never noticed the quilting detail and never would've guessed it was made out of silk!

The crown addition to the tunic. I never noticed this was present during the return to the shire, but not prior to Aragorn becoming King. It certainly makes sense and I'm glad that you pointed it out.

I just love small subtle details like that!

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4 2009, 1:25am

Post #5 of 13 (4332 views)
Shortcut
I'd never really looked at his shirt [In reply to] Can't Post

or his beltwork for this outfit. The shirt is so appropriate for Pippin, but I wonder if it's the same shirt Faramir used when he wore that uniform? There's something so comforting about a quilted shirt, and the colour is just right... and very regal.

The beltwork is quite busy with the double girth-thing going on, but it's the beautiful work on his gloves and the star on his collar that strike me. That's the same star on Denethor's ring, isn't it?

Oh how I wish we'd seen more of the Hobbit's in their finery. This is wonderful! Thanks so much Arwen's daughter :D I really love these posts!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

aponynamedbill

May 4 2009, 5:59pm

Post #6 of 13 (4478 views)
Shortcut
pip [In reply to] Can't Post

It really makes you appreciate how much work the costume designers put in to big budget movies like these. I love to see the thought and work that goes into these costumes. Its just another thing that makes these movies so great. The costumes, the landscapes, the buildings, it makes watching them over and over again easy.

Steven Tylers promiscuity screwed Glorfindel

http://schrutebeetfarm.blogspot.com/

weaver
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 1:57am

Post #7 of 13 (4279 views)
Shortcut
woah, where's his face? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of! Is that a dressmakers dummy in the first shot?

This is one fine outfit -- my favorite of the four hobbit dress-up clothes you've posted. I love the addition of the crown above the tree, though there is no way you even see it in the films, do you?

The detailing on the gloves is spectacular, and it goes well with the trim on the cloak.

Is there a name for that kind of belt? And is this approach used on any other costume? It's really different....

Thanks for a fine mini-costume feature!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 5:32pm

Post #8 of 13 (4260 views)
Shortcut
I image they looked quite grand crossing Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

They must have been quite a party in their finery! The people they passed must have wondered just who these young hobbits were.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 13 (4271 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's quilting [In reply to] Can't Post

The zig-zagging stitching on his shirt is quilting.

Now you have me wondering if Billy ever had to pull that belt up around his hips. I suspect the crew could adjust it for him if it started to fall, but what a blooper that would be! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 13 (4280 views)
Shortcut
The subtle details are amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm often completely surprised by some of the smaller details the costumers chose to include. Things like the crown on Pippin's tunic. It's a quick scene and the tunic is covered by a cloak the whole time. Even if the camera did chance to pan over Pippin's chest, I don't think many audience members would notice the change and I don't think that anyone who would notice the change would be upset if the costume designer reused the tunic he wore in Gondor.

I think it really helps to show how much care went into the design of these movies.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 6:11pm

Post #11 of 13 (4280 views)
Shortcut
Good catch on the star! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's the star from Denethor's ring. It was also featured on Denethor's gauntlets and on Boromir and Faramir's gauntlets. I would guess that the costumers chose to use it as a sort of family symbol for the line of stewards. That's a complete UUT, though, as it could also just be a continuation of the seven stars motif of Gondor. But if it is a house symbol, that would make it a bit of a tribute to Faramir and to Boromir (and Denethor on a lesser level, perhaps) on Pippin's cloak.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 6:18pm

Post #12 of 13 (4243 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for commenting! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It really makes you appreciate how much work the costume designers put in to big budget movies like these. I love to see the thought and work that goes into these costumes. Its just another thing that makes these movies so great. The costumes, the landscapes, the buildings, it makes watching them over and over again easy.

The props and sets and everything that the artists who worked on LOTR created are so much fun to watch over and over. The rest of the movie isn't so bad, either Tongue I really think it shows how much respect they had for the source material, though. Sure, they made a lot of changes, but they included a lot of material from Tolkien's descriptions where they could have just made things up, instead.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 6 2009, 6:25pm

Post #13 of 13 (4354 views)
Shortcut
it's a mannequin in that first image [In reply to] Can't Post

This costume was on display at Comic Con where they used these faceless mannequins.

I don't know of any particular name for this belt, but belts have never been a study of mine. I've never seen it on anyone else in the films, either, though it was in some of the early concept art for Denethor. If I had to guess, I'd suggest that they wanted a different style for Pippin to suggest that it's an antique left over from earlier days. But again, that's just me making things up Wink

It's also important to note that I think Pippin is the only soldier who doesn't get to wear armor (aside from the Rangers). A sword belt like this wouldn't work very well with the Gondorian armor. So, perhaps this is a standard Gondor belt when they're out of their armor and we just never get a chance to see one on film.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.