The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle Earth Recipes: Hollin country

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2009, 2:53am

Post #1 of 18 (903 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth Recipes: Hollin country Can't Post

Hello TORNsibs! Following the exhausting fiesta, it's time for some good food! Wink A while ago we followed the Fellowship to Rivendell where Master Elrond healed hunger and thurst with delicious and refined meals. However, time in Rivendell flew quickly away and the Ring went south. After long days and nights of no rest and proper food, the company finally entered the country of Hollin.

About Hollin Gandalf said: "I think we will rest here, not only today but tonight as well. There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there."

Despite the fact that Legolas found the Elves of Hollin "strange to us of the silvan folk", the Fellowship welcomed Gandalf's attitude.

"That morning they lit a fire in a deep hollow shrouded by great bushes of holly, and their supper-breakfast was merrier than it had been since they set out."

That's all Tolkien said but it seems good enough to me - wholesome air, Elves dwelt there, merry hobbits and fire. Wink We are anxious to see your recipes for this location. I personally find it quite challenging and will post mine tomorrow.

Also, as you know, there has been quite a bit of talk about a cook book, so please let us know if the recipes you post are OK for being published (YP) or not (NP). Some of the TORNsibs have already declared YP (thank you, Darkstone!) but in case there is a recipe which can not be published, please indicate this as well.

Thank you all for participating!

"Middle Earth Recipes" threads started originally as "Shire Recipes" in September, 2008 and their creator was ringbearer9.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on food, cooking, wine and other life pleasures

I believe

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 30 2009, 3:05am

Post #2 of 18 (693 views)
Shortcut
Breakfast! Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pancakes:

1/2 cup rye flour
1cup unbleached flour
1/4cup wheat germ
salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
sugar
Mix together

1 egg beaten
1 cup milk
1/4cup shortening or your favourite light oil
vanilla
Mix together

Combine wet with dry and adjust moisture with milk or flour until dribbly.

Pour on a hot (but not too hot!) greased skillet. Flip when bubbles appear and pop.

Serve with yogurt, blueberries, and maple syrup. Yummy!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 30 2009, 3:06am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 30 2009, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 18 (669 views)
Shortcut
Applesauce breakfast cereal [In reply to] Can't Post

7 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped raisins
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup dried apricots

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix oats, wheat germ, and wheat bran.

In a medium bowl, blend brown sugar, applesauce, honey, and water. Mix in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Stir the brown sugar mixture into the oat mixture until evenly moist, and transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.

Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly brown.

Mix raisins, pecans, apricots and coconut into the dish, and continue baking about 15 minutes. Allow to cool, and store in airtight containers.

Serve with milk and fresh fruit just like regular store bought breakfast cereal.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 1 2009, 2:42am

Post #4 of 18 (649 views)
Shortcut
This was difficult! [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit this has been one of the most difficult locations for me. Partly because I tried to think of recipes that could be prepared on open fire. One thing I have made for a quick breakfast is Halva (it is sold here in North America, usually in the oriental sections of the stores).

Semolina halva

200 grams semolina
100 ml oil (sunflower)
200 grams sugar
250 ml water
50 grams wallnuts, chopped
1 tea spoon cinnamon
lemon or orange peels, dried and preferably marinated in some alcohol (brandy or rum)
raisins (it's good if they also stay in alcohol for a few hours)
icing sugar for decoration

Heat the oil in a pan. When hot, add the semolina and fry until the semolina turns reddish. Meanwhile prepare a hot syrup of the water and sugar (put the water to boil and gradually add the sugar while stirring). Pour the syrup over the semolina and stir well. Add the wallnuts and cinnamon, the peels and the raisins. Stir again, let it stay with all ingredients for 15 minutes before separate it into cups (bowls). Decorate with icing sugar. Kep in the fridge so the mixture thickens. Also, you can replace the cinnamon with vanilla.

Fake pastry

1 pack of phylo pastry (you have to break the pastry sheets, make them inch by inch - it's very easy when they are still cold)
4 eggs
1 1/2 tea cup sugar
1 litre milk
125 grams of butter
1 vanilla (or vanilla sugar)
sunflower oil (or another you prefer but avoid strong aroma)

Grease the tray well with oil - the bottom and the sides. Spread the pastry equally in the tray. On top of it spread pieces of butter. Put the tray in a preheated oven, at 150 Celcius and keep it there until the butter melts and the pasta is very slightly baked. Meanwhile beat the eggs with sugar, milk and vanilla. Use this mixture to cover the pasta in the tray. Bake for another 20-30 minutes depending on the oven or until the mixture is fully cooked.

Oat meal with honey and fruits

300 grams oats
3 1/2 tea cups water
1 apple cut in small bites
raisins
berries (whatever is available in Hollin country, I prefer blueberries Wink)
pinch of salt
1 tea spoon butter
3 tablespoons honey

In a pot boil the water with the salt in it. When it's boiling, add the oats. Reduce the heat. When the mixture thickens and starts forming bubbles, remove from the heat and let cool down. Then add the butter (the meal has to be still warm to melt the butter but not hot), the apple, raisins and berries (or either). last, add the honey and stir well.

And speaking of berries, which I believe were available in Hollin, I always add them to pancakes together with some honey. Also, a nice drink for exhausted travellers is made of freshly squeezed berries (you can use a blender or drink mixer) with a spoon (per glass) of honey and a pinch of fresh spearmint! Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 1 2009, 2:44am

Post #5 of 18 (641 views)
Shortcut
Sounds toddler friendly! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds like my son could eat it and enjoy it. Thanks, Darkstone, yummy and healthy! Smile

I believe

batik
Tol Eressea

May 1 2009, 3:05am

Post #6 of 18 (640 views)
Shortcut
How 'bout some pop-eye eggs? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is simple and could be cooked in one of Sam's pans over an open fire.

Melt a bit of butter in the pan/skillet---just enough to coat the bottom.
Tear a (quarter-sized or so) hole in a piece of thin to medium sliced bread then put the bread into the pan--let it sizzle a bit.
Crack an egg and drop it in so that the yolk (mostly) lands in the hole in the bread. Gently break the yolk and let it cook a bit before flipping.
Then flip the bread/egg so that the other side gets a little toasty, too.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 1 2009, 3:19am

Post #7 of 18 (628 views)
Shortcut
Classic! Especially with Sam's sausages! :)))) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 2 2009, 2:46am

Post #8 of 18 (625 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

those would wake ya up in the mornin' bey. All my favourite sweetners!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 2 2009, 2:53am

Post #9 of 18 (622 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

the famous treat of the ME (not that ME, the Middle East). I always wondered how it was made. I think the stuff I get has pistachio paste in it. Yum!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 2 2009, 2:56am

Post #10 of 18 (618 views)
Shortcut
That settles it, [In reply to] Can't Post

having these for breakfast tomorrow with "some nice crispy bacon and fried tomatoes." Now where did I put my Guy Fawkes mask?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 2 2009, 3:05am

Post #11 of 18 (617 views)
Shortcut
It's another halva [In reply to] Can't Post

The pistachio is a different type, it is called "tahan halva" and is made of sunflower seeds (most popular) or sesame, or pistachio + many more ingredients which I don't remember. It's much more difficult to prepare at home. The semolina halva is much lighter although it is still an Oriental treat with lots of sugar in it. However, you can put different nuts or fruits in the semolina halva too, depeding on the taste.

I believe

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 2 2009, 3:12am

Post #12 of 18 (618 views)
Shortcut
Semolina [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that like couscous? Now that you mention it I think the halva I get has tahini (sesame oil) in it too.

Boy I'm learning a lot from you today.Wink

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 2 2009, 7:12pm

Post #13 of 18 (608 views)
Shortcut
Pasta is made of semolina or wheat, or both [In reply to] Can't Post

Most pasta we have here in the stores is made of semolina or wheat, or both. That includes the couscous. However, there is semolina I haven't been able to find here and which is needed for the halva - it is not finely grounded, the pieces are bigger and the halva (when ready) looks like made of really tiny pieces, even smaller than couscous. What I have found is finely grounded semolina which resembles flour and it doesn't work. Someone told me there is roughly grounded semolina where the oriental foods are sold in the stores, I have to check. Here is the semolina:

Here is the ready semolina halva (just one possible shape):

And here is the traditional tahan halva with sesame oil and pistachio I'm buying when back home on the Balkans:

Glad to know I have something to tell you which you don't know! By the way, I'll try your pancakes for breakfast tomorrow! Wink

I believe

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2009, 1:05am

Post #14 of 18 (608 views)
Shortcut
Hush Puppies / Corn Fritters [In reply to] Can't Post

According to folklore, the cowboys of the American West would fry these up in a pan of grease over their open fires, and toss some to their trail dogs as treats, saying "hush, puppies!".

They are also called "fritters". I like to add corn to mine; seafood restaurants will make them with minced clams!

Here's my favorite recipe for these "Corn Fritters":

Heat about 4-5 cm of oil in a deep pan; try to maintain the temperature at about 375 F (200 C).

While the oil is heating, beat 4 egg yolks.
Mix in 1 c. milk, 2 c. flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 Tbl. melted butter.
Drain a can of corn (about 15 oz. or 420 grams); fold the kernels into the batter.
Drop by tablespoonsful into the hot oil, and fry several at a time until they are golden all around.
Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
Serve while still warm, with maple syrup.

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4 2009, 9:10am

Post #15 of 18 (606 views)
Shortcut
You can publish anything I ever post on the recipe threads :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I REALLY REALLY want a TORn cookbook. We have a dictionary, now a cookbook would make us powerfully cool! :D

I have a really simple marinade for a chuck roast that'll make it sing:

Grilled Chuck Roast
Get a lean cut of chuck roast
Rub with Kosher salt on both sides
Coat both sides with regular yellow mustard
Put in storage bag and refrigerate for 24 hours
Take from fridge and let set out at room temp for approx 3 hrs.
Grill to desired doneness... or broil if you prefer.
YUMMY!

Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies (lo-fat option included)
2 tbsp butter, softened (or diet butter)
2 tsp canola oil
½ cup packed brown sugar, dark (or Splenda brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp table salt
1 large egg white (or Egg Beaters)
¾ cup all-purpose flour (or wheat)
¼ tsp baking soda
3 oz semi-sweet choco chips -- 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
... In a medium bowl, cream together butter, oil and sugar. Add vanilla, salt and egg white; mix thoroughly to combine.
Add flour and baking soda; stir into batter. Add chocolate chips, stir thoroughly.
... Drop rounded half-teaspoons of dough onto large nonstick baking sheet. Bake cookies until golden around edges, about 4-6 mins; cool on wire rack. Makes 24 servings of small cookies--2 cookies per serving.
***Optional: To make these lo-cal, use the ingredients in parenthesis to replace regular ingredients. If you're on Weight Watchers, the lo-cal 2 cookies = 1 point.
...Dark chocolate chips or a 3-ounce bar of dark chocolate (chopped) with a percentage of 75 or higher on label. The higher the percentage rate, the greater the chocolate tastes and the less sweet the product. Dark chocolate's better for you.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 4 2009, 3:28pm

Post #16 of 18 (617 views)
Shortcut
Next location and an apology [In reply to] Can't Post

I must apologize for forgetting to include this in my original post but I'm having a sick baby and husband at home and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! Blush Here is what our TORNsib somuchmore will do in our next location and what you could expect:

'Only two meals are mentioned inside the mines of Moria: one on the stairs just inside the West Gate, and a breakfast in Hall Twentyone. Apart from a sip of miruvor, there is no mention of specific food. What kind of food would give the Fellowship strength and encouragement in the dark halls and passages of Moria?'

Thanks to everyone for wonderful suggestions! Heart

I believe

somuchmore
Rivendell

May 4 2009, 9:47pm

Post #17 of 18 (596 views)
Shortcut
here's hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

they will get well soon!
and wishing you some well-earned rest Smile

simplyaven
Grey Havens

May 12 2009, 10:33pm

Post #18 of 18 (596 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a difficult time. Hopefully, things will calm down a bit. Can't wait for your thread! Smile

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.