Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Questions on The Hobbit

nau1977

Apr 19 2007, 2:53am

Post #1 of 7 (7553 views)
Shortcut
Questions on The Hobbit Can't Post

Hi all, I'm very new to this forum. I just watched The Hobbit animated DVD. I enjoyed this since I was young. In fact I'm actually older than it, yeesh! Anyways, how much of "The Hobbit" book does it follow? Did they do the whole book, or did they only use snippets of it, or did the whole book in a very short time? In the book, do Smaug's eyes have light that come out of them like in the animated DVD?

I'm hoping that when the live-action movie comes out, the scenes with Smaug will be in there. I hope he's bad-ass. I loved the way he was in the animated version.

Thanks,
Nathan

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2007, 3:48am

Post #2 of 7 (5747 views)
Shortcut
I think the best way to answer your own questions is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to read the book!

Seriously, I just handed off a copy to my ten-year-old nephew and am anxious to find out what he thinks of it. Maybe you should do the same and then we can compare it with my nephew's review.

What say you?

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Apr 19 2007, 4:16am

Post #3 of 7 (5700 views)
Shortcut
Read it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a great book, and it's actually an easy read. :)

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2007, 7:44am

Post #4 of 7 (5697 views)
Shortcut
Yes, read the book! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the best way of answering your questions. It's an excellent book. And I think you'll find some of it will be new - though it's so long since I saw the cartoon Hobbit I couldn't be certain.

Welcome to TORN, btw! Smile

Karekare Beach, NZ

IMG_0365

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 19 2007, 10:02am

Post #5 of 7 (5718 views)
Shortcut
I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

"Read the book" is going to be the best answer you'll get around here.
It may not be the quickest: one of us telling you'd be much simpler for you. BUT... there's no way of comparing two different media on one story (e.g. book version vs. film version of The Hobbit) than by doing the comparing yourself. I've just round off a 7-week course called "Broadway to Hollywood" in which each week I had to read a different play before the lecture - or rather, a viewing of a Hollywood adaptation. Only after having made the respective assignments on the dfferences between text and film were we given more info on how both media compared and contrasted in a tutorial later the same week. This set-up worked well.

Maybe you could tell us your findings as to the Hobbit book versus the animated film version?

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

(This post was edited by Stapper on Apr 19 2007, 10:03am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2007, 11:47am

Post #6 of 7 (5720 views)
Shortcut
Hie thee to a bookstore! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reiterating what everyone's said: get to a bookstore or online bookseller, or your local library, and get a copy and read it! I'd recommend an illustrated version, or Douglas Anderson's Annotated Hobbit (which has a ton of background goodies interspersed in the story). There's also an excellent graphic novelization of the story (see Arwen's daughter's thread below, Here's a sight I have never seen before..., for more details), but I'd recommend reading that after the original.

Then you'll have the best answers to your questions!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for shear delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!'"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 19 2007, 2:36pm

Post #7 of 7 (7669 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome !!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is done SO WELL in the movie. I think it's because the actor's voice they used was so rich and rough! The film/cartoon followed the book pretty well... but only just barely touched on the story. SO MUCH HAPPENS! And the best part is that there's no singing ;) You'll LOVE Beorn in the book, too. It's a fast read and will prep you for The Lord of the Rings... which is also better than the films, imho... and that's saying A LOT!!!

If you do start reading The Hobbit, I'd love to hear of your impression/thoughts/anticipation of the story as you go along... maybe every 5 or 6 chapters let us know what you think. A fresh eye is always fun to share this with since most of us have seen many winters with the stories ;)

We've been really excited about the filming of The Hobbit that's in the works right now. Not much forward movement on it just now... but it'll happen! Peter Jackson wants to direct... which would be PERFECT!

Thanks for posting! Again, welcome! Stick around and enjoy the fun :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.