Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
The Hunt For Gollum: A short interview with the director.

Salmar
Bree

Apr 30 2009, 10:19pm

Post #1 of 18 (1308 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt For Gollum: A short interview with the director. Can't Post

Heres a recent interview with Chris Bouchard, the director of the The Hunt for Gollum fan film on the BBC website.

Making Middle-earth on a shoestring
http://news.bbc.co.uk/...tainment/8022623.stm

"...In the deep places he gives thought to music great and terrible; and the echo of that music runs through all the veins of the world in sorrow and in joy; for if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth. The Teleri learned much of Ulmo, and for this reason their music has both sadness and enchantment. Salmar came with him to Arda, he who made the horns of Ulmo that none may ever forget who once has heard them..."

"Of the beginning of days", The Silmarillion.

(This post was edited by Salmar on Apr 30 2009, 10:21pm)

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Apr 30 2009, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 18 (720 views)
Shortcut
Great coverage for a fan film! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really cool. I especially like the comments the BBC made about the movie. Of course, after making the old Chronicles of Narnia series, they should be easy to impress. Wink

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 30 2009, 11:51pm

Post #3 of 18 (667 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was happy to read this:

We got in touch with Tolkien Enterprises and reached an understanding with them that as long as we are completely non-profit then we're okay. We have to be careful not to disrespect their ownership of the intellectual property. They are supportive of the way fans wish to express their enthusiasm.

I'm somewhat surprised the Estate approved it, with their history of being so picky in what they approve, non-profit or no. But it's great that the filmmakers did the right thing and asked permission, and that the Estate is supportive of their efforts. Smile

Hmm, I wonder if they'd approve a film based on the Silmarillion?

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

May 1 2009, 12:41am

Post #4 of 18 (667 views)
Shortcut
Somehow I missed that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for providing that quote, Smeagirl. I had not actually read the interview part of the article thinking it would probably just rehash stuff I already knew. I guess I was selective at the wrong time!

Mark Sommer

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 1 2009, 12:50am

Post #5 of 18 (668 views)
Shortcut
I saw a trailer for this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

online last week.....it looks very good. I would be interested in seeing the whole piece when it is available. I was wondering how the Tolkien Estate would feel about it. It was obviously done with some pretty decent financial backing, so it will probably circulate the old 'net. I was wondering if they were going to try and make some money off of it, as it looked like it was not cheap to do.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

May 1 2009, 1:00am

Post #6 of 18 (696 views)
Shortcut
"pretty decent financial backing"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite. The movie was filmed using volunteers with a total cost (according to the BBC article) of £3,000! (That's under $4,500 at the current exchange rate.) But as the BBC article says, "that doesn’t mean this fan-film looks like it was put together with cardboard and string."

Mark Sommer

(This post was edited by Mark Sommer on May 1 2009, 1:00am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 1 2009, 1:39am

Post #7 of 18 (672 views)
Shortcut
It may not be major studio money.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that is about 4,500 times the amount of money I have to spend on a fan movie at the moment.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 1 2009, 2:30am

Post #8 of 18 (656 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, true! [In reply to] Can't Post

But considering that it has a cast and crew of about 160 people, along with many volunteer donations online and offline, it makes the cost less daunting :)

I have been following the Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope for years now; I am so excited to see the Hunt for Gollum! It looks very well done.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 1 2009, 2:41am

Post #9 of 18 (635 views)
Shortcut
It looks... [In reply to] Can't Post

great! It certainly looks better than 98% of the fan movies on Youtube and some of those places.....

Nimloth
Lorien

May 1 2009, 4:34am

Post #10 of 18 (646 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link Salmar [In reply to] Can't Post

I've enjoyed the trailers and am really looking forward to seeing the whole film.

weathertop
Rohan

May 1 2009, 2:20pm

Post #11 of 18 (645 views)
Shortcut
agreed and i'm just hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

they have enough bandwidth to handle the mad rush!

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

May 1 2009, 8:30pm

Post #12 of 18 (619 views)
Shortcut
Re: The Hunt For Gollum: A short interview with the director [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot wait to see this film, I have very high hopes.

It will feel strange to watch anyone by Viggo & Ian playing Aragorn & Gandalf, but I'm sure I'll manage. The trailer looks amazing, and I'm sure the finished product will be spectacular!

sara
Lorien

May 1 2009, 8:54pm

Post #13 of 18 (631 views)
Shortcut
n't seen the trailer yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I read that this will debut on the web on May 5th. Anyone know when and where to look?

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

WonderBroad
Lorien

May 2 2009, 2:24am

Post #14 of 18 (699 views)
Shortcut
Sunday, May 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought I read that this will debut on the web on May 5th. Anyone know when and where to look?

It's this Sunday, May 3. I believe it will be streaming on their Web site, www.thehuntforgollum.com. I know it's supposed to be on www.dailymotion.com, but I don't know if it's streaming at the same time as the actual premiere in London, like it will be on thehuntforgollum Web site.

If this helps, it will "go live" at 11 a.m. Sunday, Eastern Daylight Time, for those in the U.S. Figure out your time zone from there!

Salmar
Bree

May 2 2009, 1:51pm

Post #15 of 18 (625 views)
Shortcut
Online time & place... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sara, heres the details for free online and on screen world Premieres. Both shown simultaneously at 4.00pm UK time (GMT +0 hrs).

ONLINE:
http://www.dailymotion.com/HuntForGollum

The Hunt For Gollum - A 40 minute Lord of the Rings Fan Film which will available for FREE viewing here at Dailymotion.com and on http://www.thehuntforgollum.com

ON SCREEN:
http://www.sci-fi-london.com/...-hunt-for-gollum.php

Premiere SCI-FI-LONDON!
We are excited to announce that the premiere of the Hunt For Gollum will be at SCI-FI-LONDON on May 3rd 2009. The festival is a major event in Fantasy and Sci-Fi film and the TH4G team will be proud to be there. The film will be screened for free to the public and festival goers. The limited tickets will be available for members fo the public for free reservation through SCI-FI-LONDON.

Updates here:
http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/updates.htm

Trailers here:
http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/trailers.htm

Some promotional antics in London, hehe...
http://www.dailymotion.com/...-orcs-hit-london_fun

Hope you enjoy it!
~ Salmar

Hehe, looks like WonderBroad beat me to it.

"...In the deep places he gives thought to music great and terrible; and the echo of that music runs through all the veins of the world in sorrow and in joy; for if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth. The Teleri learned much of Ulmo, and for this reason their music has both sadness and enchantment. Salmar came with him to Arda, he who made the horns of Ulmo that none may ever forget who once has heard them..."

"Of the beginning of days", The Silmarillion.

(This post was edited by Salmar on May 2 2009, 1:56pm)

sara
Lorien

May 3 2009, 2:08pm

Post #16 of 18 (585 views)
Shortcut
Excellent, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just posted in a related thread before I saw your reply. If it's 4pm UK time, when would it be in Eastern US time? I want to make sure I hop on right when it debuts if I can...

They hold no quarter.

sara
Lorien

May 3 2009, 2:09pm

Post #17 of 18 (683 views)
Shortcut
Perfect. I should really read all replies before I post. Now I know when to log on. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

They hold no quarter.

Patty
Immortal

May 21 2009, 9:24pm

Post #18 of 18 (1139 views)
Shortcut
I just saw the feature at last... [In reply to] Can't Post

very well worth waiting for.

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.