Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
LOTRO worlds.......?

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 22 (901 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO worlds.......? Can't Post

The game has done its stuff and now there are a list of what I think are worlds/servers (not entirely sure they are the same thing!?Crazy)

How am I to know which one to choose!????????????????

I'm in Europe, and the little bit of gleaned so far is that you can only choose the ones that are available to your country....some of you mentioned Brandywine, well that one is definately not on my list of worlds Frown.

ShockedShockedShockedShocked((((((((((((((((HELP))))))))))))))))ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Artanis

Listening: LOTR soundrack
Random Delights: TORN, Facebook (and LOTRo, hopefully, one day..please)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 22 (592 views)
Shortcut
If you do a quick [In reply to] Can't Post

google search on the European servers you get lucky enough to find a page listing how each one has been 'claimed' so to speak. There is also the LOTRO website that might help (i.e. forums)?

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 22 (580 views)
Shortcut
Here is a link.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://lotro-wiki.com/...x.php/List_of_Worlds

Although this one doesn't give the unofficial titles of each one, it does give the language preferences for the Euro severs.....

(This post was edited by Donry on Apr 29 2009, 4:47pm)

Vidstige
Bree

Apr 29 2009, 7:16pm

Post #4 of 22 (546 views)
Shortcut
European servers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Europe (Codemasters' version of the game) there are five English language servers, four German and two French. The English language servers are Eldar, Evernight, Gilrain, Laurelin and Snowbourn. Laurelin is a role-playing server so don't join that if you don't want to stay in character all the time.

I'm on Snowbourn, which is generally considered one of the most populated server in Europe, together with Laurelin and a couple of German.

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 22 (555 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

...shame I wont be able to give those orcs a thrashing with you!Sly

Artanis

(This post was edited by Artanis on Apr 29 2009, 7:40pm)

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 22 (528 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

VERY new to all this......Blush

so when you said..."Laurelin is a role-playing server so don't join that if you don't want to stay in character all the time. "

...what do you actually mean by that?

Artanis

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 29 2009, 7:50pm

Post #7 of 22 (550 views)
Shortcut
My guess is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that even the chit chat is supposed to be in character on that server?

The way we play when I'm online with friends is that we're all connected with our headset mics, and we could be beating the bejeebers out of orcs on the screen, while we're casually chatting about work or life or some other part of the game as we do so. It's kinda funny.

The other day, a couple folks from the kinship house had come to help me with something, then they went on to do something else, and the casual talk continued, but I could tell they were doing some serious battling because of all the action icons that were showing and the way their "power" and "morale" indicators were fluctuating. Talk about an incongruity! Sly

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Apr 29 2009, 7:51pm)

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 22 (541 views)
Shortcut
hhmmmmm I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I get it...but I'm not sure I could keep that up.....I think I might find it more fun to be slashing some orcs and talking about whats cooking for dinner too!! Laugh LOL

I'm glad I asked now, as I thought I would prefer a roleplay server, but it obviously isn't quite what I thought!

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 8:13pm

Post #9 of 22 (535 views)
Shortcut
ah now [In reply to] Can't Post

I have managed to find the forums and register........and you are right ...you have stay in character as vidstige said, and no talking about what your cooking for dinner.

Hmmm what a big decision to make...I haven't even got the thing going yet!

Artanis

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 8:31pm

Post #10 of 22 (526 views)
Shortcut
Hi... [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got it! The role-playing is for staying in character....you can actually tag your character while playing. Meaning that when others view your character online, your character will have a 'role-playing' tag attached to them, so they know how to approach you while playing. That way even if you are on a role-playing server, you can get left alone at times, if you don't have that tag going. But it sounds more like your into the gaming aspect of it! So enjoy! And that is precisely what the multiple character slots are for, you can role-play with one character on one server and game with another character on a different sever! Brilliant! So get started!
On the forums, you can also set it up so that your footer there is a profile of your character (s). Have fun!

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 22 (526 views)
Shortcut
hhmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

But....I don't know Donry, as I really do like the idea of the roleplay...but I'm not sure I would be able to contain myself from saying something out of character....and I wouldn't want to upset anyone by doing so!

Can you have different characters on different servers? Like if I wanted to be an Elf on the roleplay one, but a Man on the usual sort...could I do that?!

One thing I am also wondering is that if with the roleplay it would cut out any bad language etc. ......if everyone is only alowed to talk in character?

Artanis

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 29 2009, 8:55pm

Post #12 of 22 (536 views)
Shortcut
I assume the European worlds are the same as they are over here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In which case, you can have up to seven players on each server.

"And he has Brains."

- A. A. Milne

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 29 2009, 9:07pm

Post #13 of 22 (516 views)
Shortcut
A word of advice for when you get started. [In reply to] Can't Post

And you may know this already from other games you've played.

When you enter Middle-earth the first time, you'll be in an Introduction phase, where they'll get your Epic Quest started and introduce you to your Class Trainer, etc. In addition to the main quest line, there will be a variety of other quests available that give you experience in the kinds of tasks you'll be asked to do when you get into the game "for real."

My advice is to find and do all of these peripheral quests before you complete the Introduction. Not only does it give you some practice with different tasks, it also helps you earn points and level up.

I didn't do that with my first character, and I entered the "real" Middle-earth a little under-powered. So I found myself struggling with some of the quests because I wasn't strong enough to defend myself when, for example, I was set on by three brigand knaves at the same time.

Oh, and you'll probably earn some Tokens of Appreciation right off the bat, too. Go spend them at your earliest convenience! I waited until I got to level 16 to look into trading mine in, and discovered that they expire at level 15...

"And he has Brains."

- A. A. Milne

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 9:14pm

Post #14 of 22 (489 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I need ALL THE HELP I can get!!!! You lot are so great!Cool

Artanis

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 9:16pm

Post #15 of 22 (539 views)
Shortcut
As RosieLass [In reply to] Can't Post

stated, if the Euro servers are similar...then you can have both! You can create a bunch of characters and play them differently. And of course, as with the gamers, you will find some role-players are very hard-core and won't even ackowledge a response and in some cases can be rude if you aren't in character. But there are others out there who won't mind the odd out-of-character comment here and there! It's a pretty open place in that respect. I'm into the role-playing myself, as I've never played Warcraft or anything like that. I'm a console guy mostly, so I've done that type of gaming mostly. But I played the old role-playing games years ago like Dungeons and Dragons, so I'm looking to take that old experience to the next level, which I believe is this game...and role-playing in it.
There is bad language, even in role-playing....but it isn't encouraged...as most assume our usual curse words weren't used......so there might just be some in-game created curse words.....Now, I don't see why you can't have a headset on and talk with other players, while your character interacts 'in character' while on a roleplaying server. As you can just chat on-screen without headsets.....?
Have you made a character yet? Or are you still unsure which world to enter?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 9:17pm

Post #16 of 22 (486 views)
Shortcut
good call! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree! Don't dismiss the intro stuff! It helps a ton!

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 9:20pm

Post #17 of 22 (537 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankyou - great advice...LOL....oh no I've spent nearly all evening trying to figure out which world to go on!!! Laugh

Artanis

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 10:08pm

Post #18 of 22 (544 views)
Shortcut
Take your time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, as much as can be expected anyway! There is nothing like spending hours on a character and not being happy with him/her. And in this case the server can be a part of that! Anyway...have fun! And again...don't hesitate to ask! As you can see there are a few of us on here who play and can help out!

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 11:26pm

Post #19 of 22 (538 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

is two hours trying to decide a name too long!!??? It is way after 12 midnight here...........and all we have done is created some characters and thought up some names..................for TWO HOURSLaugh

Artanis

(This post was edited by Artanis on Apr 29 2009, 11:26pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 11:29pm

Post #20 of 22 (597 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol....that is alright! I think? I hope it is worth it and you two like the game!

Vidstige
Bree

Apr 30 2009, 2:07pm

Post #21 of 22 (494 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice! Welcome to the game! Smile

Which server did you choose? And what names?

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 30 2009, 2:48pm

Post #22 of 22 (635 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

the server I went for in the end was Laurelin...the role play one....took me ages to decide Crazy

....as for names it was really late so the only name I can remember making was Bithriel...I think....and I think she was an Elf....I think LOL....like I said in my other post it was well after midnight!!! Laugh

I shall double check tonight and tell you properly what their names are!!!!!

Though I couldn't seem to get the male Elf right at all ..his body shape and his face......but I know my husband and I picked an ace name...but it escapes me now what it actually was ROFL

Artanis

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.