Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:37am

Post #276 of 327 (40821 views)
Shortcut
How very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Sohaib and Fictional Frontiers, for the great announcements and interviews! And thanks, Elven, for the transcripts! You guys deserve the highest praise too. Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 1:07am

Post #277 of 327 (40526 views)
Shortcut
Those are wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not know that Elven was such a wonderful calligraphy artist- those are simply magnificent.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 1:12am

Post #278 of 327 (41126 views)
Shortcut
hey, you guys can sing, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess there's just no end to your talents!

Go Weta and thanks for coming to the party!

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 1:21am

Post #279 of 327 (40981 views)
Shortcut
Praises to your phrases! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loved "Out on a Limb" -- and you have not lost your touch.

Your version of TORn's history is one of the best.

Thanks for stopping by to share it with us and hope to see you often in the future around here!

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 1:23am

Post #280 of 327 (41037 views)
Shortcut
All the nice guys are dropping by! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so cool. Thanks to Doug Adams for remembering the day!

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 2:10am

Post #281 of 327 (40993 views)
Shortcut
*laughs* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very close to the reaction I had when I got the first email from Weta to say they were coming to the party.

Total Fangirl moment LaughLaughLaugh

Loves ya S/G

Kel x

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 2:13am

Post #282 of 327 (40913 views)
Shortcut
Dragons! Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh!

Thank you for joining in the celebration, Quickbeam! I'm another who loves your "Where the Stars are Strange" report, and hope you don't mind that I've quoted bits of it at times here...Evil

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 2:13am

Post #283 of 327 (40942 views)
Shortcut
I keep forgetting that whole 'southern hemisphere' thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I should have said autumn. Wink

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2009, 2:16am

Post #284 of 327 (40608 views)
Shortcut
*scribbles title* Excellent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Perfect! I could never get enough about our hobbits :)

Thank you!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2009, 2:43am

Post #285 of 327 (40582 views)
Shortcut
This is great!!! Thank you, most talented people! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 28 2009, 2:29am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2009, 2:45am

Post #286 of 327 (40535 views)
Shortcut
What lovely words... They warmed my heart! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 27 2009, 4:03am

Post #287 of 327 (41028 views)
Shortcut
Message from Michael Drout [In reply to] Can't Post

Renowned Tolkien scholar and good friend or TORN, Michael Drout, sends this message:

Congratulations on ten years! The success of TORn shows that there's not that much difference between the "scholarly" and "fan" communities when it comes to Tolkien: scholars are fans, too, and there are "scholarly" fans who make massive contributions to our understanding of Tolkien. There are also major contributions--in gaming, art, armor, costuming--that all are better off when they cross-fertilize each other. Thus by putting everyone in touch with everyone else, TORn has helped bring about what people 50 years from now will be calling the "Golden Age" of Tolkien.

And this would not have happened without TORn's perfect blend of being both fun-loving and professional. From the look and feel of the site to the way that the community keeps itself from dissolving into flame-wars or snobbishness, TORn is, to me, the model approach for getting more enjoyment and knowledge out of a topic. Of course it helps when the topic is a great as Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings, but still, an enormous amount of credit must to the founders. A toast to your continued success!

yours,

Mike Drout

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27 2009, 4:04am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2009, 5:01am

Post #288 of 327 (40867 views)
Shortcut
Wow thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind words from a well respected source. Much, much appreciated.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Elven
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 5:13am

Post #289 of 327 (40771 views)
Shortcut
Oh gosh .. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! I just woke up bleary eyed, straight to the computer, came to see what was happening here - and promptly fell off the chair (and there's no smiley to explain how I feel) Laugh

Thankyou Daniel for looking over the photos *squeeeeee!!!* -* tries to retains composure*....

The map is on a 'blush' coloured handmade paper.
And it was done using pencils - a 1980 set of Rex Cumberland Derwents and Prismalo soft Caran D'ache Watercolours pencils.
I didnt do much of an underwash as I didnt have any means to keep the paper sretched to dry.
The inks are Winsor Newtons, and Indian Ink, using an Italic nib, scroll, and copperplate.
This is the biggest size map Ive done - the further along it got, the more aware I was of making a mistake - some days I just had to walk away rather than put the ink on the paper. I would look at your maps for confidence to get the pen and ink back on the paper. I love doing maps - and of all the maps Ive seen, I can stare at the maps you have done for ages - they are truly beautiful! You have been a great inspiration! For that I thank you sincerely!
And I also notice this huge amount of creativity and talent you have taking the water colours further, and the ink pen drawings -
I so hope that there are still some more maps of ME to see in the future from you - but I'll leave that there - its on my wishlist.

Thankyou Daniel
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 27 2009, 5:20am

Post #290 of 327 (41241 views)
Shortcut
Coloured pencils [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Elven, I must have a dabble with coloured pencils.... ;-)

All the best,
Daniel

Elven
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 5:28am

Post #291 of 327 (40754 views)
Shortcut
This sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I get your news leter so I will eagerly awaiting any news if you make it over here to Oz - or I make it over there to NZ!

This time around I hope New Line have you at the top of the list for a book - and also quite a bit on the Extended Editions about anything you do (not that we know if you'll do anything of course Wink) - but Im putting my 10 cents worth in now - there can be no true adventure without a map! and THAT Dwarvish map is such an important piece in the story!

May your road ahead be a successful adventure!

Cheers Daniel
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 6:11am

Post #292 of 327 (40807 views)
Shortcut
In less than two weeks, in Kalamazoo [In reply to] Can't Post

...there will be a performance of Tolkien's poems from the Songs for the Philologists, sung by (mostly) a bunch of English professors with no shame, as organized by Doug Anderson. (I'll be there!) It's nice to see his comments here.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us Apr. 27-May 3 for "Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 6:29am

Post #293 of 327 (40932 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again to Professor Drout! [In reply to] Can't Post

He took a big chance, trusting that some dedicated internet-based Tolkien fans could produce respectable encyclopedia articles on fairly obscure subjects (leaning on one another for advice and critiques, to be sure). It was an honor to be given that responsibility, and a thrill when this work was praised, as for example in these comments from Kelley M. Wickham-Crowley's review of the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia for vol. 4 of Tolkien Studies:

Tolkien's contribution to Sir Mortimer Wheeler's report on excavations at Lydney Park is known to many through Shippey's comments in The Road to Middle-earth, but [dna] does a lovely job of both updating the archaeological assessments and of incorporating Tolkien's blend of Celtic religion, myth, and poetic inspiration when considering Nodens in "Report on the Excavation ... in Lydney Park, Gloucestershire."

The opportunity for a dozen TORNadoes to stretch themselves in this manner would not have arisen if not for the wonderful quality of the discussions here, and Prof. Drout's appreciation --which he shows again in this message-- of what fans can offer to Tolkien studies.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us Apr. 27-May 3 for "Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2009, 7:04am

Post #294 of 327 (40755 views)
Shortcut
A fine gentleman [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for stopping in and the kind words. Much appreciated.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 27 2009, 7:54am

Post #295 of 327 (40914 views)
Shortcut
Very eloquent [In reply to] Can't Post

Really great letter, Quickbeam, thanks so much for putting into words what I didn't even know needed putting into words. I also look forward to more activities and more stories and more chances to meet with more TORnSibs in the coming years.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 27 2009, 8:05am

Post #296 of 327 (41126 views)
Shortcut
say what? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess I should have said autumn. Wink

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 10:05am

Post #297 of 327 (41117 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to a great guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

As N.E.B. said, Prof. Drout took a chance on TORn and it worked out wonderfully, one of the best experiences of my life. He also knows how to take a joke.

"We work for Michael Drout, mister, and we don’t expect any trouble from you, hear?"

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 12:39pm

Post #298 of 327 (40648 views)
Shortcut
Oooh next Spring? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am planning on being there for a month during March/April time, would be cool to meet up with any Tornsibs who will be there during that time!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 1:59pm

Post #299 of 327 (41202 views)
Shortcut
Oh, excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge admirer of Prof. Drout and this is praise indeed. Wow!

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 2:21pm

Post #300 of 327 (40885 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll send you an email on it.

"...and back again."

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.