Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORN 10th anniversary post: Thanks, RR

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 12:19am

Post #1 of 10 (683 views)
Shortcut
TORN 10th anniversary post: Thanks, RR Can't Post

I had a hard time coming up with something spectacular for a Reading Room-specific celebration. So I didn't. Come up with something spectacular, that is!

But I did come up with some nostalgic, wandering thoughts about this dear old place, with its dim lighting, its squishy chairs and that comfortable old couch (remember those? Anyone seen them, since we moved to this lavish new place in 2007?).

To think I have been here five years now, and even been modded up occasionally, and if I was never modded down, I was squired a time or two.

I have learned to define my terms, cite my sources, and turn a critical eye to my own expository ability, right here in the training ground that is the RR. And if I have occasionally been testy about that, I beg the pardon of every gentle lady and sir in the room, retroactively.

Since I'm older than the hills, I've been reading Tolkien a long time (if by "reading Tolkien" one means the LOTR!). Even before I found Torn, I would occasionaly lurk on the old rec.arts.books.tolkien USENET group (never daring to post, not EVER, I knew the value of my life!). I bought the Sil when it came out (first edition, hard back) and an occasional book of Tolkien analysis (I have a 1975 copy of Lobdell's "Tolkien Compass", for instance, and a 1979 first American edition of Carpenter's "The Inklings"). My copy of Tyler's "Tolkien Companion" is inscribed in my mother's writing: "April 1979, with love from Mother and Dad". My hardback, second edition, HM copies of LOTRs went with me from naval post to naval post, in the early years of my marriage, and helped me whenever I was homesick or lonely.

I owe much to Frodo and Co.

So, I cannot claim that the RR introduced me to Tolkien. But in the last five years, I have learned more about Tolkien and related subjects than I did in the previous 35 years. In fact, my "bookmarks" are now so overflowing that it takes about 30 seconds to scroll from top to bottom.

So I thought: why not share some of the "cool" stuff I have amassed over the last five years, thanks to 1) mention in the RR or 2) preparation for one of my chapter discussions or 3) a search brought about by something posted in the RR, etc. I know many of you have bookmarked a bunch of other cool stuff, too, so I'm hoping you will share. And if you have a story to tell, that's good, too.

Some of my favorite links of posts from the RR:

Last Day old RR
Tolkien and Dante, part one, part two, and part three
List of old posts saved by Tornsibs
Squire's 2005-2006 LOTR Chapter Discussion links (thanks, squire!!)
Hatster's archives May 2002 through end 2004 (thanks, hatster!)--these are invaluable
Link to NZ Strider's discussions of color in LOTR
Squire's list of RR acronyms
Modtheow's "Brush Up On Your Old English" post
NZS: Sea-longing in the LotR: Tolkien's use of "The Seafarer"
Smith of Wootton Major discussion links
TORN's FOTR 50 yr celebrations

I'm sure there are a million more I have overlooked! Please add yours.

And then there are the hundreds of links I've amassed by searching for something because the RR sparked my interest in same. Some of my bookmarked favorites (in no particular order) are:

Birzer's lecture: "Tolkien, Wagner, Nationalism, and Modernity"
Chronology of the Silmarillion
Tolkien Studies, first edition, articles available online
Interview with Tom Shippey (Writers Write)
The True Elves of Europe
Riddles in the Dark (comparison between the two Hobbit versions)
Sacred Texts' "Sources of LOTR"
Lyrics in the movies for ME languages (elvish, orcish, etc)
The Lord and Lady of the Rings (Caldecott)
NYTimes Tolkien Archives
Links to online versions of old texts such as Beowulf, Caedmon, etc, including some audio (I have not checked these links in a while...)
Tolkien's Oxford (picture tour)
Clark's Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary online
Lewis, Tolkien, Williams and Barfield explore Theosophy and Reincarnation
Mythic Truth: LOTR and Catholicism
Bones in the Soup
Tolkien Society's Anglo Saxon Study Packs
Tolkien's Linguistic Cellar
Tolkien and the New Art: Visual sources for LOTR
The Chesterton Review: JRR Tolkien: Mythos and Modernity in Middle Earth (this is the whole journal edition, 305 pages, opens slowly)
Romenna Meetings Archives/reports
Croft's: Training, Signalling, Intelligence, and Maps in J.R.R. Tolkienís Fiction
Songs and Poems in LOTR

Well, there's more, but I'm sure you all have links to share! So please do. Tell us where you wandered off to, in the vast internet, on a mission of interest from something you read in the RR, or in preparation of your own discussions here.

Finally, here's a toast (in reserved good taste, as befits the RR): to Torn's Reading Room! Long may it stay open for business. Thanks for all the friendships and teaching and learning that went on over the last 5 years of my residency. May there be many more discussions to come!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27 2009, 2:04am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 1:03am

Post #2 of 10 (394 views)
Shortcut
A fantastic link collection! [In reply to] Can't Post

*opens a new window* Thank you so much a.s.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 1:10am

Post #3 of 10 (400 views)
Shortcut
Since I can't find full [In reply to] Can't Post

text's online of David Jones' "The Hunt" or "The Sleeping Lord", I thought you and other RRers would enjoy this article discussing and excerpting both:

David Jones's 'The Hunt' and 'The Sleeping Lord': The once and future Wales

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 2:11am

Post #4 of 10 (392 views)
Shortcut
Don't know how I forgot "Luminarium" (link inside) [In reply to] Can't Post

Luminarium: Anthology of English Literature

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 4:46am

Post #5 of 10 (425 views)
Shortcut
A few of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Reverend on Sam's Speech

Reverend on Frodo's mail shirt

Reverend on Balrog Wings (re-posted by me, at a time when it was hard to retrieve old posts)

Reverend "clarifies" which Elves could sail to the West.

Silent Lion on sex in ME

NZ Strider on Faramir (article originally posted on the Message Boards but picked up in a TORn article)

NZ Strider: "Does the Ring tempt Strider in the Prancing Pony?"

NZ Strider, summarizing the RR UT discussion

NZ Strider on Dragons (4 posts collected by N. E. Brigand)

NZ Strider compares Faramir & Eomer in their interrogation styles

NZ Strider summarizes Tolkien's eschatology

NZ Strider on Tolkien's poetry

Curious on the creation of orcs

Arquen on the geology of Ithilien (Arquen was a geologist. She had some great things to say about the Lonely Mountain, too, if NEB can find it!

Count Zero's classic, "Who's buried in Beren's Tomb?"

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2009, 6:21am

Post #6 of 10 (459 views)
Shortcut
I completely disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

It IS spectacular!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Penthe
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 8:57am

Post #7 of 10 (402 views)
Shortcut
Arquen had great posts on mountains and volcanoes [In reply to] Can't Post

She also had some great ones on military strategy, as critiqued by her brother as I recall. Brilliant.

Now?

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 4:04pm

Post #8 of 10 (404 views)
Shortcut
oh, nice tribute... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and the other anniversary posts on here were fun to lurk through, too!

The more I think about it, the more I realize the value of taking on the challenge of leading a discussion here -- it makes me really read through the text, not just skim it, and to pay attention to every word of text and how Tolkien put it together. And when I do that I naturally find I have a lot of questions and I learn a lot from the replies.

Thanks for all that you and all the other regulars do to make this place hum, and such a delight to wander into and be part of when I can.

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 28 2009, 11:45am

Post #9 of 10 (421 views)
Shortcut
This is a month's worth of reading for sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 5 2009, 6:06pm

Post #10 of 10 (406 views)
Shortcut
*swoons* Magnificent! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is truly one of the greatest collections of how brilliant this place is! Thank you SO MUCH! Now I have to go and look these over more closely and relish each and every one.

*warm hug* Thanks so much a.s. I'll join you in that toast :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.