Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:16pm

Post #251 of 327 (37491 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't miss it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's quite a party, of Special Magnificence! Thanks for the invitation!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 10:17pm

Post #252 of 327 (37539 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Doug Adams [In reply to] Can't Post

It is great to find one of similar heart stopping in. Thank you for your wonderful contribution to our Founder's celebration. Many of us here are biding our time until the grand event at Radio City. It will be one of those life-long reminiscences i do believe:).
Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 10:19pm

Post #253 of 327 (37808 views)
Shortcut
You may need to start building your tolerance [In reply to] Can't Post

because deej is part of the group that I'm traveling with, and I have a feeling we all will want to stand you a pint. So you have a year to practise since we're talking about March/April 2010. Cool

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:21pm

Post #254 of 327 (37872 views)
Shortcut
Valaquenta [In reply to] Can't Post

Smooches accepted!

You did a fantastic job with writing the Valaquenta, AE - I'm just glad to be able to make it look nice. I'll email you a high resolution copy, if you like.

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:24pm

Post #255 of 327 (37934 views)
Shortcut
Lotsa pints! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, sounds like hobbit heaven! See you in a year!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 10:30pm

Post #256 of 327 (37825 views)
Shortcut
*more blushing* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of anything I would love more! You are so sweet! ThankyouThankyouThankyou!!
Laugh

SFTH Archive

Quickbeam

Apr 26 2009, 10:50pm

Post #257 of 327 (37764 views)
Shortcut
Great to see you hear Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a pleasant surprise, and very much appreciated..... thank you for participating on our Birthday.

Congrats on all that has come before..... and all the NEW adventures we are about to have.

Cheers....!!

Much too hasty,
Quickbeam

Cliff Broadway

-------------------------------------------
"I dream myself alive."

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 10:53pm

Post #258 of 327 (37609 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Doug very much for contributing [In reply to] Can't Post

a joyful word for TORn. Yes, it is a place of down home values and warmth. And because of it, we will be around for a long time to come.
Your Abe was such a fascination.
All the best to you:).

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 11:07pm

Post #259 of 327 (37960 views)
Shortcut
WOW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!!! These are fantastic!

Well done again, Elven!

Elven (if you're there), what are you using to create these? Coloured pencil?

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 11:11pm

Post #260 of 327 (37902 views)
Shortcut
Cheers Quickbeam [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, the adventures on the Road ahead look very enticing and exciting indeed. I think we're all in for a great ride, creators and fans alike!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 11:13pm

Post #261 of 327 (37790 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, here's hoping. I've been asked about a book soooo many times; it's just gotta happen!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 26 2009, 11:28pm

Post #262 of 327 (37658 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I'll try that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall trying charcoal as a kid, and it just smudged all over everything. But now I've got access to instruction on the internet and in books (and hopefully in person at some point, from you or someone else who knows what they're doing). Plus I'd probably been given whatever was cheapest, which might've been overly-crumbly. So I guess it's worth another shot!

Thanks for the encouragement. Smile

*add charcoal to shopping list*

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 11:31pm

Post #263 of 327 (37667 views)
Shortcut
many thanks and one question [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined TORn right after the great map conspiracy and found so many members delighted with your work. Thank you for sharing your heart as well as your talent with us.

Question: Why do the maps used in the LotR films have a redundant Elvish a symbol over the letter a?

Looking forward to your hobbit work,

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 26 2009, 11:53pm

Post #264 of 327 (37954 views)
Shortcut
LOL, that would be rather tragically funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm picturing the news article now, "Yesterday's concert at Radio City Music Hall was temporarily disrupted when an audience member had to be carried out. She was initially declared dead of squee, but then heroically struggled back to life . . ." Crazy Laugh

I promise I'll try to contain myself. Hmmm, maybe at the first sign of squeeing, someone should smack me with a wet noodle or something. Or is there another cure for squee?

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:01am

Post #265 of 327 (38013 views)
Shortcut
Pleased to meet you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would it be rude to mention that I've never seen any of your movies and would have no idea who you are if not for seeing your name around here? Well, at least you know I'm not a stalker. Tongue Cool

But by all accounts, you're a nice and talented guy, so that's good enough for me, and I look forward to seeing what you do in The Hobbit. Thanks for stopping by! Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 12:08am

Post #266 of 327 (38067 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I remember your "Where the stars are strange" report, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't remember seeing that photo before. Armour suits you, sir!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 12:10am

Post #267 of 327 (37537 views)
Shortcut
Cure for Squee [In reply to] Can't Post

Housework can do it, but it doesn't always help. If you find yourself dancing with the mop, you've gone past hope.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:15am

Post #268 of 327 (38034 views)
Shortcut
*boggles* This party gets better and better! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad you could join us, Doug! I'm looking forward to the book, concert and related festivities. Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 27 2009, 12:19am

Post #269 of 327 (37734 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien flavour [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings ElanorTX, and thanks for the compliments!

On the film, several of us (Alan Lee, Grant Major, Dan Hennah and myself) agreed on all the various aspects of what the hobbits' alphabet would look like, and how Bilbo should write it. This included having accent marks over ALL the vowels (though I followed a self-imposed rule to restrict it to sounded vowels, or the first of the two vowels in a diphthong, etc, so that the text wasn't quite so cluttered). It certainly gave the Shire writings, the Red Book, etc an old-worldly, rustic charm. And it gave a tenuous link between the tengwar writings of Middle-earth and those written perhaps in some "newer letters, sometimes used now for the Common Tongue" (this is simply my justification - the fact that things are written in Latin characters at all is simply to allow accessibilty to audiences, of course).

So for the writings of some of the other races, I retained the most Tolkienesque of the various accent marks: the triple-dot (or triadic mark, as I started to call it) over the A, to maintain a kind of continuity. So you'll see that triple dot in my merchandising versions of Gondorian words like Faramir, Aragorn, for example, whereas Rohirric ones drop it but use Tolkien's acute accent over some of the Es.

And that's the only reason. It's purely decorative, giving a Tolkien flavour, and to put a kind of stamp of belonging that says "this is from the LOTR movies".

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:21am

Post #270 of 327 (37622 views)
Shortcut
But . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they'll let me start cleaning the place at RCMH. Union rules and all that. Unsure

And at home I listen to music while I'm doing housework, so dancing with the mop isn't unlikely . . .

Oh dear, I'm incurable. Shocked Tongue I guess I'll have to just give in and enjoy it. But there are worse ways to die than of squee. Laugh

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 27 2009, 12:21am

Post #271 of 327 (37759 views)
Shortcut
Tooth [In reply to] Can't Post

Charcoal works best if the paper has a bit of tooth to it - it's not so satisfactory on smooth papers. Bear that in mind when you're shopping...

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:25am

Post #272 of 327 (37805 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how much thought went into things like little dots. What a great example of the attention to detail that made these movies (and associated merchandise) so beautiful! Thanks for explaining. Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 12:28am

Post #273 of 327 (37889 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

It was really good to hear from Mr. Del Toro again.

Kangi Ska
http://www.mntolkien.com/images/white_crow_footer.jpg

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:30am

Post #274 of 327 (38050 views)
Shortcut
*bites paper* [In reply to] Can't Post

What? Oh, you mean texture! Sorry, I tend to take things literally. Wink

*adds "toothy" paper to shopping list*

Thanks again! Cool

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 27 2009, 12:33am

Post #275 of 327 (37800 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another honored guest! Welcome!

I've been reading The Annotated Hobbit -- a gift from another TORnsib -- and it's fascinating!

So glad you could make it to the party! Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.