Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 26 2009, 8:40pm

Post #226 of 327 (39744 views)
Shortcut
Well met, Quickbeam! [In reply to] Can't Post

How great that you stopped by to share some of your wonderful prose with us. Thanks for that. Smile

Here's to our continued journeys together and to seeing a certain tall, handsome ent around here more often. WinkSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 8:45pm

Post #227 of 327 (40310 views)
Shortcut
So glad you stopped by Quickbeam. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOVE the picture of you on the set. What an amazing ride we've had, and it's not done yet! Let's go adventuring with the Hobbit!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 8:46pm

Post #228 of 327 (40034 views)
Shortcut
Careful, Smeagirl... [In reply to] Can't Post

..or I can just picture the scene at Radio City in September: Over the speakers: "Is there a doctor in the house?" They'll be having to carry your limp body out of thereWink

Seriously agreeing with everyone and hugerly enjoying all the tributes. I'm amazed at how many people stiopped in here! WOW!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 8:53pm

Post #229 of 327 (40196 views)
Shortcut
Try charcoal [In reply to] Can't Post

Try charcoal for a much quicker result! Just to get the feeling for light and shade.

With a pencil sketch it's too tempting to stop after you've drawn outlines of things and most of the paper is still white. But a good percentage (half?) of the page wants to be covered in marks, in order to give some depth and tone. With charcoal, that's much quicker and easier to acheive. And because it's less exact, you're forced to be looser and more "painterly".

And yes, it'd be great to see you on a sketching tour. And (thinking out loud) I'm sure Red Carpet tours will need my assistance on The Hobbit Premiere tour, sketching or not - but I'll still bring along my art kit....

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 8:59pm

Post #230 of 327 (40288 views)
Shortcut
Elven's good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, Elven does great work then! "Well done Elven!"

It'd be great to see a closer image.

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 9:02pm

Post #231 of 327 (40042 views)
Shortcut
Early posting [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome, absolutely, and it's my pleasure. I'm glad you've learned a few things.

As for posting before waking up, it's Monday morning now in New Zealand, so if you see some mitsakes creeping into my replies, you'll know I'm not quite awake yet either.... ;-)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 9:03pm

Post #232 of 327 (39963 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Already on Friday I was teary-eyed, and I said that by Sunday I might need the whole box of Kleenex.

So I do.

THANK YOU for stopping by, Quickbeam--I have missed your ijput more than you could know. What wonderful tjoghts and I could not more agree in turn. It's been an amazing ten years (though I wa snot here for all ten:), but I look forward more than ever to your future contributions!

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 9:07pm

Post #233 of 327 (39711 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Sohaib! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE your show--and would listen to it live every weekend if I were able! I wish my city has a program like yours. Best of wishes and lookig forward to your input as TH really gets underway!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 9:08pm

Post #234 of 327 (40198 views)
Shortcut
Evolution [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking at some of your artwork on your DeviantArt site - you've done some great pieces, well done. I love the Evolution drawing!

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 26 2009, 9:10pm

Post #235 of 327 (40362 views)
Shortcut
Message from Doug Adams [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adams, musician, composer, writer and author of the upcoming book: The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, (as well as good friend to many here), sends this message along:

Tolkien always stressed the importance of "home," the sanctuary and standard by which all our worldly exploits gain their resonance. Congratulations--and thank you-- to TheOneRing for providing fans that home for 10 years now!

My very best wishes to all,

-Doug Adams
Author, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 26 2009, 9:13pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 9:14pm

Post #236 of 327 (40031 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Quickbeam [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual your way with words are a delight and they warm the heart. I am very glad you are here to celebrate this occasion being you are a part of its rich history and helped bring to light many wonderful things.
It would be a delight for the next generation of TORnsibs to get to know you and i hope you will hang around for a ent age Hoom Hom!:).

SO.....what have you been doing all these years, Fangorn wanderer?Smile.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 9:17pm

Post #237 of 327 (40062 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Elven [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Elven! I just made another reply about the Middle-earth map YOU made - it looks wonderful! Well done!

I'm still hoping that a book might be possible too. Maybe the chance will come with The Hobbit - I'll try to get in early this time.

Red Carpet Tours are keen to run another Sketching Tour, probably next Autumn - I'll announce it on my website with plenty of advance warning.

I've started sussing out the calligraphy world (after working in a vacuum for years), so yes, classes and exhibitions are on the cards. I now edit the Calligraphers of Kapiti newsletter, and will run a small local workshop this year - and things will move onwards and upwards from there....

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 9:23pm

Post #238 of 327 (40128 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one of my favorites, as well; the subject matter is so odd.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Alicia
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 9:24pm

Post #239 of 327 (39897 views)
Shortcut
Book by Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

An artwork/calligraphy book by you would be great to have! Smile If it contains Hobbit stuff, so much the better.
-Alicia

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 9:32pm

Post #240 of 327 (39858 views)
Shortcut
Greetings Doug! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so nice to hear from you to help celebrate our founders and TORn.

I remember quite vividly the conference when you spoke with Tom Shippey. I have not be able to do that trip again being New Jersey is so far away.

The very best to you for the future. Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 9:35pm

Post #241 of 327 (39920 views)
Shortcut
maps and meetings [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah yes, those Red Carpet mornings are always a treat for me too! I get fed breakfast (2nd and 3rd breakfasts too!) and meet all you lovely folks! It's true, you know - LOTR fans really are wonderful people. So it's a pleasure for me to bring pleasure to you! A win-win situation!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 9:40pm

Post #242 of 327 (40180 views)
Shortcut
Lynette! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lynette! Great to see you here too!

I meant to post a reply to your thread yesterday, but it was a very full day. I've got a dreadful feeling that I was meant to reply to an email of yours ages ago, about your latest book - I'll troll through my email system and see what's what. Sorry if I've missed it... :-]

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 9:48pm

Post #243 of 327 (40620 views)
Shortcut
Well, I can offer these [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to assume Elven's okay with me doing this (it's a long reach from her arm to my head if it isn't) and I think she said she's lost some of these digital files so I may be the only one to have them.

I offered to host her footer images so I have quite a collection. I might have larger ones of these on my harddrive but I'm not finding anything I want today so I'll go with these.

These are all by Elven:

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Alicia
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 9:50pm

Post #244 of 327 (40101 views)
Shortcut
Elven photos in Magpie's post [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, aren't they beautiful!! Shocked They put my puny little sketches to shame... Laugh
-Alicia

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 9:50pm

Post #245 of 327 (40651 views)
Shortcut
And for good measure... [In reply to] Can't Post

Again... this is Elven's

larger image

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 9:54pm

Post #246 of 327 (40115 views)
Shortcut
I just took this photo [In reply to] Can't Post

The lens distorts the frame but i believe the map looks fine.

Elven's map

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:08pm

Post #247 of 327 (40029 views)
Shortcut
Clearing distraction [In reply to] Can't Post

I work at home, and my home is on a back section, down a long driveway, away from the street. It's quite a big property (by suburban standards) with many trees and lots of bush. So I have a quiet room, birdsong outside (especially the tui, a beautiful native bird with an INCREDIBLE vocabulary of sounds), hardly any street noise, trees everywhere I look - all in all, it's a pretty conducive environment for creating art.

My only distractions are self-imposed: having a coffee (I have a fantastic espresso machine), getting outside for some exercise, mowing the lawn, chopping firewood, cooking meals (I like to cook), etc.

As I said earlier, no day feels like a work day!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:11pm

Post #248 of 327 (40241 views)
Shortcut
Greetings [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings OhioHobbit, it's my pleasure to be here. Thank YOU and all TORnSibs for making this community what it is!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 10:14pm

Post #249 of 327 (40218 views)
Shortcut
It comes in pints? [In reply to] Can't Post

It comes in pints? Yes, I'd love one thanks! Looking forward to it already!

When you say spring, do you mean the southern hemisphere spring or the northern hemisphere? (Not that it matters - I'm just wondering whether it'll be six months before I get my pint, or a year! :-D )

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 10:16pm

Post #250 of 327 (40182 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear from Doug. So excited for next October!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.