Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Thank you one and all!!!

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 9:29pm

Post #1 of 16 (571 views)
Shortcut
Thank you one and all!!! Can't Post

A tenth anniversary mathom.

Thank you, everybody who worked so hard to make this tenth anniversary such a party of special magnificence. Altaira, Weaver, Silneldor, Alassea, Kelvarhin are some that I know of, but many others contributed in many ways. Thanks also to GDT, our friends at Weta, and the writers, actors and artists whove come along to help us celebrate. Forgive me if Ive overlooked anyone!

Reading the anniversary posts on the messageboard has given me such a trip down memory lane!

It has also put ten years of my life in perspective, seeing how many lives TORN has touched. Its good to be reminded of what a good thing we did when we started TORN, and to see how strong and rich our TORN community still is. I feel we have only more good things to look forward to with The Hobbit.

I cant help noticing how many people have pictures of their babies or family in their profiles or as their avatar more than when we started, or is it simply that Im noticing it more since having a baby myself? It gives me a feeling of how weve grown up together in TORN. In the beginning many of us were searching for something, and in the past ten years weve either come home or made a home for ourselves. Silneldor wrote a beautiful post on the meaning of home and how TORN is a home. And, as different people have said in various ways this weekend, in this house weve seen births, deaths, marriages and many other joys and sorrows in between. Luckily, TORN is adaptable: Like Rivendell, TORN is perfect whether you prefer to sit and listen, to recover from hard times, to celebrate good times, or to tell stories, or to eat and drink, or just sleep.

Thanks, everyone, for helping make TORN into this great House of Story. I hope well have another ten years of building it together.

http://

Code

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 16 (387 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you one and all!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 16 (377 views)
Shortcut
Thank YOU, Tehanu [In reply to] Can't Post

Just think, if you hadn't been brave enough and determined enough to go peeking and poking about in the scouting locations.... Wink

You have created a wonderful home for many many hobbits, elves and soldiers alike. Coming here is like returning home after a hard day and sitting down with a warm cup of tea. As you read through the posts, you feel the tensions of the day begin to slide away, a smile forms and your shoulders, that were hunched somewhere up around your ears, begin to relax into their normal position.

That is what you have all provided for us, year after year..so a very warm and heartfelt thank-you goes out from me to you !

Heart

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 10:07pm

Post #4 of 16 (380 views)
Shortcut
Perfect sentiments, Tehanu! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been at TORN for 7+ of those 10 years, and it's been one of the most enriching parts of my life in those years. Thank YOU for all your work and dedication!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 16 (378 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle-hug* Now you've done it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've gone and made me cry. You're right... this place really is Rivendell. Also because it's a place to come for healing, rest, and rejuvination. I come here because it has become a home. I just love it here.

I want to thank you, Tehanu. If it hadn't been for your tenacity, dedication and hijinx, we'd have never had Peter Jackson come on board and create this wonderful synergy between fans/audiences and filmmakers. The dynamics of Calisuri, Xoanon, Corvar and you has touched so many lives and the industry. It's quite amazing! I feel so fortunate and blessed to have found this place... thanks to you four and thanks to Tolkien :)

Here's to another 10, 20, 30+ years. A juggernaut to reckon with :D

*warm hug*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 11:53pm

Post #6 of 16 (372 views)
Shortcut
My Lady [In reply to] Can't Post

May i offer you a gift of the season?

Breath of spring

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 1:57am

Post #7 of 16 (363 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't the great stories never end? Wink

What began as a complaint against you all those years ago, ended up having not only the best possible ending, but also going in the most unimaginable direction! Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it?

Thank you for all you have done, and wishing happiness for you and your family!

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 3:05am

Post #8 of 16 (360 views)
Shortcut
I still say THANK YOU! [In reply to] Can't Post

Without this wonderful home you've all made for us, where would we go to play?

*with love*
Kel x

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 6:40am

Post #9 of 16 (347 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully put Tehanu... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm reminded of the saying:

A house is built by bricks
But a home is built by hearts.

Thanks for building this house together with our other three "builders" Wink It's what made this home possible for all of us Heart {{{Tehanu}}} Heart

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 6:58am

Post #10 of 16 (351 views)
Shortcut
And thank *you*, dear lady. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ten years. It's hard to believe it's been so long.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 7:16am

Post #11 of 16 (352 views)
Shortcut
It is amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

to think how many lives have been touched and even completely transformed by TORN over these 10 years. You mentioned the pictures of families - a few of those babies are true "TORN babies", whose parents met here on the message boards!

Thank you so much for your part in the creation of our beloved Rivendell! There really is no place on the web that compares.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Elven
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 12:35pm

Post #12 of 16 (336 views)
Shortcut
Lovely post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankyou Tehanu for such a wonderful place to come and sit and think, and enjoy life with friends - it really is that special - and delightful, interesting, exciting, thought provoking, humerous, and homely.
How time marches by, 10 years ... and now another road to travel as well - best put on the hicking shoes!
For everything you have done - I bow humbly and say, Bless you and Thankyou! Heart

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wont write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 3:12pm

Post #13 of 16 (337 views)
Shortcut
Glad we were able to contribute a good chapter... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to this great "House of Story"...

Felt like Rivendell all weekend long, didn't it?

Glad you enjoyed yourself, too -- well deserved!

Smile

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 29 2009, 5:27am

Post #14 of 16 (330 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, ours is a TORN baby too! [In reply to] Can't Post

But we resisted the urge to call him Eomer or anything like that. I did campaign (jokingly) for 'Thorgeir' in honour of Tolkien's interest in the sagas, but lost that one.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 4:27pm

Post #15 of 16 (319 views)
Shortcut
thank YOU, Tehanu! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

May 2 2009, 4:58am

Post #16 of 16 (343 views)
Shortcut
I Love This Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I borrowed my post title from a dear friend, but it sums up my feelings for TORn...I found you all in the inklings of the dream of movies and kept coming back....in the late 90s I think, we would gather around a computer at work at the Bronx
Zoo while on a break and freak out over the possibilities....
I remember each movie premiere, and rambling in bars and online afterwards!...what times....
I await the Hobbit, and look to TORn for my updates!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.