Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I would like to tell you

Corvar
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 18 (834 views)
Shortcut
I would like to tell you Can't Post

I would like to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that 10 years is too short a time to know such excellent and admirable hobbits, so I am just going to have to stretch on for at least a hundred and one more years. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and as for the rest you have given me more than I deserve.

For me, TheOneRing.net started out with a conversation with Calisuri. He is a dreamer, a glass half full type of guy, and at the time I was mired in reality and a glass half empty type. He had a dream to do for Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings movies what TheForce.net did for Star Wars. In my mind, I thought, "No way kid" but he was a friend so I decided to give him a hand. Little did I know he was handing me the key to change my life. And Xoanon, Tehanu, and so many others slammed that key home, turned it and through open the doors to a wonderful world.

Of the founders, I am probably the one with the fewest tales of brushes with the rich and famous, but I am blessed enough with the many encounters I have had with fans, scholars, ordinary hobbity folk that make Tolkien fandom so great. I have had no trips to New Zealand or Cannes, no visits to the sets or symphonies, but I have gotten to go to fan conventions and Tolkien meetups and barbeques. I have seen a handful of close friends (friends that I know only because of TORn) get married, and know that more will come. And if I would have to choose, I would pick the path I have taken again.

So my fondest memories of TORn are all of you. The times we have had, and will have. So stop on by the next time you are on a walk through the Shire, and I will put tea on for us.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 18 (572 views)
Shortcut
{{Corvar}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I know how truly moved you must be: that's the most I've even seen you write at one time, lol! Laugh

Seriously, it's exactly those grass-roots, salt of the earth experiences that makes the collective TORn experience so wonderful. We all come away from conventions excited about the celebrities we've seen, but it's the friends we made and re-connected with that gives true satisfaction: exactly what you were saying, in other words.

Little did I know he was handing me the key to change my life

That's really what this weekend celebration (and TORn) is all about. Sometimes in small ways and sometimes in very big ways, this website gave us all the key to life-changing life-events. So now you know, from experience, exactly how we feel about you and the other founders.Smile

As Alassea's Valequenta said, you wrought something wonderful here. And, you never abandoned us no matter how many times your phone rang in the middle of the night when the old server went down (which happened a lot), or when the old boards froze (which happened even more).

It's nice to know that we Hobbits and Elves (and some Orcs) here at TORn have provided you as satisfying an experience as you've provided for us. (And, of course, I'll be reminding you of that the next time I need something LaughWinkCool).

*Hugs* to you, my friend. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 26 2009, 7:36pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 6:42pm

Post #3 of 18 (555 views)
Shortcut
What I think I'm most grateful to TORn for... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it has sustained. So much of the net and fandom is ephemeral. People are all passionate and ready to do totally massive, obsessive things and then... interests wane... life changes... other things grab our attention. And before you know it... a community has just evaporated into the ether.

That hasn't happened here. The people who keep coming to the message boards had a part in that, I think. But without some commitment from our four Founders, we could easily have lost our home. The old boards (bless their heart) were getting so creaky and harder and harder to access over time. You guys gave us a new home. But what I'm really trying to say is.. yes, the fans help sustain a site but it's the managers/owners of the site that determine how enduring it will be. Through your commitment, we are sustained.

I suspect that your role in that was huge and that matters way more than any party you've been to or celebrity you've met.

Love the Wisconsin cow, btw. I'm in Minneapolis and we vacationed near Kenosha in 2004. While we were there, we swung up to meet my good friend in Tolkien who lives near Milwaukee. Minneapolis is actually ripe with Tolkien fans, quite a few who are members of this forum, more who read the front page. And I know there are some in Wisconsin. Let's get ourselves a Midwest Moot going, hey? ;^)

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 18 (542 views)
Shortcut
The Shire, you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll swing by next Tuesday and bring a wagon of Old Winyards with me. :)

Cheers to you Corvar, and thank you for helping create a home for Tolkien fans everywhere.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 7:23pm

Post #5 of 18 (536 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your dedication to this site- and I honestly cannot fault you for being disbelieving! This website is an enigma among websites; this community is amazing. While the members come and go, the founders have stayed, and many members stay as well.

Thank you for your leadership! *salute*

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 7:31pm

Post #6 of 18 (534 views)
Shortcut
Lovely, Corvar! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're so lucky to have all of you TPTB, and I'm especially lucky to count you as my friend.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ufthak
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 18 (546 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(and some Orcs)

You rang? <;<p

I hadn't realised that it was the ten year anniversary until Annael gave me the heads up. Although I'm not around much anymore, it was TORn that first introduced me to the idea that there were websites which had communities that were worth spending time at. And through the trolls and the fangirls, and the people who wanted help with their book report (all hail Queen Beruthiel!) it was really rather fun, and I've met some people here who it is an honour to know.

Thanks, you lot <:<D

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2009, 8:14pm

Post #8 of 18 (531 views)
Shortcut
maybe something a bit stronger...?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is tea all you're offering?! Tongue

Corvar, you are a star and a dear friend. Thanks for your kind words, and for all you do for TORn. We wouldn't be here without you - glad you decided to humour The Mysterious Calisuri! Blessed be good sir - here's to our next merry meeting! Heart

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 8:46pm

Post #9 of 18 (555 views)
Shortcut
Well now.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the founders, I am probably the one with the fewest tales of brushes with the rich and famous, but I am blessed enough with the many encounters I have had with fans, scholars, ordinary hobbity folk that make Tolkien fandom so great.

I don't know much about the rich and famous myself. We all can't be one of them. Wink I come here because of the ordinary hobbity folk and fans. Can't be a bad thing. Smile

Photobucket

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2009, 10:11pm

Post #10 of 18 (524 views)
Shortcut
Still hoarding the Ol' Winyards, I see.... [In reply to] Can't Post

*cough*cheapskate*cough*

Angelic

Thanks for helping to create a place where I can spend countless hours having pointless meaningful discussionswith such dysfuntional wonderful people.

Cheers! Smile

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 11:30pm

Post #11 of 18 (520 views)
Shortcut
*breaks out her secret stash of 1420* [In reply to] Can't Post

And passes a few down the table. I'll add to this. My thanks and blessings too, Corvar--to the one behind the scenes.
Live long and prosper...ooops, wrong fandom, but right sentiment!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 11:59pm

Post #12 of 18 (515 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

*cuts, pastes* Though you may be the least travelled, you are certainly cherished for everything you bring to TORn... whether it's just keeping the server's heartbeat going and keeping our screens lit, or sharing in good times, good stories and lots of laughter... you are irreplacible. I'm so glad you took pity on that very excitable friend and that you both responded to the other two collaborators who came on board. What a great stroke of luck for us all that Tolkien brought y'all together... and that you let the rest of us come out to play :D

Here's to you, sir... and the wonderfulness of yourself. 10 years! Go figure. And now on to 30 more! :D

*warm hug*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 12:03am

Post #13 of 18 (517 views)
Shortcut
This celebration was TORn's most memorable [In reply to] Can't Post

event for me. Actually festival is the right word.
I believe it is because of this small thought:

Life is a celebration of beauty.
A festival to the spirit.

All of you did good and the proof of that is the legion of smiles pointing your way.

Thank you all againSmile

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 1:41am

Post #14 of 18 (529 views)
Shortcut
Through open doors [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's a dangerous business, Corvar, going through that door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Many thanks for delighting us all with your webmaking creativity - and for letting yourself become part of this grand Adventure! Smile

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 6:53am

Post #15 of 18 (505 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that lovely post [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for all you do here.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 7:10am

Post #16 of 18 (498 views)
Shortcut
The heart [In reply to] Can't Post

of TORN and LOTR fandom is the people, as you so rightly say. You are certainly deserving of our deepest gratitude for all you have done to keep this place not just running but thriving. The amazing community that has grown up here has done so on the basis of your work! You've made all of our myriad experiences possible by all your behind the scenes work to keep the website running smoothly - and picking up after us when we "broke" it on many occasions. You are greatly appreciated, even by those of us who have only the smallest understanding of what you do. Many, many thanks!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 3:37pm

Post #17 of 18 (517 views)
Shortcut
Aw, you sound a lot like Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...without the encounter with a dragon, of course...unless you left that part out!

Glad you were able to spend so much time here this weekend and that there was so much to enjoy. And thanks for your thoughts from the heart here...I bet you make a nice cup of tea, too!

Smile

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2009, 11:29am

Post #18 of 18 (500 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Well said... and so true // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.