**Happy TORniversary!** TORn Moots - Past and Present
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 5:50am

Post #26 of 37 (956 views)
Shortcut
Meeting and mooting. [In reply to] Can't Post

A mere list of all the TORNadoes I've met, that does no one justice – this includes anyone that I know to have posted to TORN's message boards. Names in parentheses are those haven’t posted in some time. Starred names are those who had not yet posted to TORN when we met. Sometimes I know now that someone was in attendance at the same event I was –like visualweasel at Marquette– but they’re not listed if I didn’t meet them. Sorry for anyone I forgot or misidentified!

Milwaukee, WI - Oct. 2004
Altaira, a.s., (Balin), drogo, entmaiden, (galadhremmin), Lúthien Rising, (lumpkin), Modtheow, (Nariel Singollo), nerdanel, (tealbee), (tosaanne)

Kalamazoo, MI - May 2005
(Celandine Brandybuck), Modtheow

Birmingham, UK - Aug. 2005
Barahli of Rohan, dna, Modtheow

Chicago, IL - Mar. 2006
houndrock, (Lórien-lover), Lúthien Rising, (nefisa), nerdanel, (Rain Queen)

Kalamazoo, MI - May 2006
(Celandine Brandybuck), Istar Indigo*

Toronto, ON - July 2006
(canadanthony), dna, drogo, entmaiden, (I Voted for Mayor Gamgee), Lúthien Rising, mawguy, (MithLuin*), nerdanel, Saelind*

Norman, OK - Aug. 2006
drogo, (I Voted for Mayor Gamgee), (Robin*), visualweasel*

Burlington, VT - Apr. 2007
Istar Indigo*, visualweasel*

Kalamazoo, MI - May 2007
Istar Indigo, Modtheow, (Robin)

Berkeley, CA - Aug. 2007
Aelfwine*, drogo, (Robin), Voronwë the Faithful*

Burlington, VT - Apr. 2008
Istar Indigo, Modtheow, visualweasel

Kalamazoo, MI - May 2008
Istar Indigo, Modtheow, (Robin)

New Britain, CT - Aug. 2008
Aelfwine, a.s., dernwyn, drogo, visualweasel, Wonderbroad

Danbury, CT - Aug. 2008
Milady, squire

Burlington, VT - Apr. 2009
Istar Indigo, weaver

Now let me try to answer your questions:
1. My first moot was Marquette (Milwaukee).
2. I’d been on TORN for less than a year, and had relatively few preconceptions about their personas -- though some of the voices threw me. Having had the good fortune to meet six of the “Marquette Corsairs” again, it’s hard to separate their real and online identities.
3. Marquette to be sure -- it was the first one, and darn near overwhelming.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us Apr. 20-26 for "Riddles in the Dark".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:52pm

Post #27 of 37 (836 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - I'll update that [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, that was such a fun weekend.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:58pm

Post #28 of 37 (885 views)
Shortcut
I remember how [In reply to] Can't Post

you made a last-minute decision to attend Marquette, and I'm so glad you did.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 3:50pm

Post #29 of 37 (875 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if we actually met [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was in Berkeley for Mythcon in 2007.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 4:31pm

Post #30 of 37 (870 views)
Shortcut
The Map Moot was pretty great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish we could all do things like that more often.

"...and back again."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 7:10pm

Post #31 of 37 (1001 views)
Shortcut
I thought you might be. [In reply to] Can't Post

You had mentioned, a good while before the event, that would probably be attending. So I left a note for "sevilodorf" on the message board there, but we never did meet, though we were surely in the same room on more than one occasion.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us Apr. 20-26 for "Riddles in the Dark".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 5:32pm

Post #32 of 37 (858 views)
Shortcut
Arriving unfashionably late... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I couldn't miss the opportunity to commemorate great moots of the past:

1) - What was your first Moot?

I’m not sure if it counts as a moot, but I had a layover at LAX Airport on my way to Hawaii for a vacation. Jester_rm and Daisy Took who no longer post on TORN met me at the airport. Jester brought a jester hat with him so I could identify them. (I can’t remember now if he ever wore it or not, although I know I tried to persuade him to do so.) We got coffees from Starbuck’s sat and talked at the gate. That was in October, 2000, eleven months before 9/11. Those were the days when you could meet people at their gate at the airport.

Other moots:

March, 2001: Met Ugly Troll at DFW Airport

Approx. 2002: UT and I went on vacation in Oregon. While there we played putt-putt golf and had dinner with Jester (who had moved up there from California) and Magrat (who hasn’t posted on TORN in years) and her husband Pictureguy. They talked me into trying Rocky Mountain oysters at the restaurant, heehee.

Approx. 2002: I was visiting UT in New Jersey. Nenya and Soothfast (who haven’t posted here in a long time) came up, and we had barbecue and drinkies. After getting us inebriated, UT cruelly made us hike for miles in a nearby park. I think they came up to NJ another time while I was visiting UT and played putt-putt golf with us.

A couple of times since then, UT and I have stopped by Nenya and Sooth’s house in Philly. They’ve put us up overnight on our way from the Philly airport to our timeshare up in the Poconos.

Approx. 2003: While I was up in NJ visiting UT we went into NYC and saw Beren_11:11 (yet another sib from days gone by) playing with his band at a club there. We met him before the show, and during the performance he gave a shout-out to us.

I think that’s it. If I forgot anyone I hope they’ll forgive me!

2) - What was your first impression of the 'sibs you met? Were they just as you imagined them to be, or completely different from their online persona?

I really had no idea what to expect at my first moot! Jester was as witty as he was online, and Daisy was certainly bubbly.

I think the funniest discrepancy was Beren 11:11. For the longest time, I was under the impression he was an Asian guy because he said he lived in Chinatown and was a vegetarian. I gradually figured out over the boards that he wasn't, and I had a pretty good idea what to expect when I eventually saw a photo of him. So by the time I met him it was no surprise. But it's funny how my visual image of him changed over time.

3) - What was your most memorable Moot?

Again, not sure if it qualifies as a moot, but it was when I met Ugly Troll who was destined to become my husband. We met on TORN and also socialized online at the Dark Tower forum in its heyday. Eventually, we started chatting on AIM and calling on the phone. Finally, I got up the nerve to let him fly here. I was nervous, and a RL friend who lives in the DFW area was terrified for me. She made me give her Ugly Troll’s real name and made me promise to check his driver’s license to see if he was really who he claimed he was before going off anywhere with him.

He had planned to stay in Dallas all weekend, but after he bought his airline tickets, I found out my dad had cancer and was going to have surgery, and I had to fly to D.C. to be with him the day after UT arrived. So UT spent the rest of the weekend in a hotel room near the airport. He wrote me the sweetest letter and mailed it to my parents’ house. It really helped support me during my father’s ordeal. After the surgeon made the initial incision, he discovered the tumor was inoperable.

Dad fought his disease for four years and died in June of 2005, seven weeks after UT and I married (with Nenya, another old TORNado, among those in attendance). The last social event my dad attended was our wedding which we had in the D.C. area especially so he could attend. It was one of the last things he talked about before he became too weak and lost consciousness before dying.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2009, 7:46pm

Post #33 of 37 (840 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I think I might be getting old [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't remember who I met first :-/

But I think it was Pteppic. His choir was singing in a contest just down the road, so we decided to meet up for a cake or two afterwards. To be sure we found eachother I was holding a copy of LOTR, pretending to be reading it :-) The easiest one to spot was the husband of Cat of Queen Beruthiel, he had the most yellow (yellowiest?) jacket I've ever seen so when they came out of the hotel I was never in doubt.

Most of the TORNAdos I've met have been great, although not all of them have fit my mental image of them. But then I saw Glaze as the Silver Surfer (no idea why) and Cat of Queen B as a tabby cat so it would have been quite weird if they did.

Not sure what Moot to pick as they've all been memorable in their own way. Looking for the fantastic, paranormal bush in Bath was very funny, and I'll never forget that horrible rain at Stonehenge. Australia and NZ were also great, although slightly windy.

Eledhwen and I in New Zealand, I think this is on the way to the Glow Worm cave. And no, we didn't see the extinct bird! But we did live in the moment :-)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2009, 10:24pm

Post #34 of 37 (837 views)
Shortcut
My only moot so far has been Deej's "most memorable" one -- [In reply to] Can't Post

Atlanta in June 2004, to hear and see Howard Shore conduct the Atlanta Symphony.

As one of the "many others," I guess I wasn't so memorable! ;-) But in the photo, I'm 4th from the right on the bottom row, happily clutching my poster signed by Alan Lee.

Some highlights for me:

Of course, meeting all the TORnadoes Deej mentions and others, including Goldilocks Took -- I really don't know what I expected, but it was a really nice group. I was especially grateful to Kally for giving me lifts to various events, since I had flown and not rented a car in Atlanta. I was a bit nervous about meeting up with folks I had never met -- not knowing anyone at all ahead of time -- but she was so friendly and generous that I felt quite at ease. Shuya and Eowyn Wannabee also kindly gave me transport.

Of course, meeting Alan Lee at the art exhibit. We were supposed to keep it hush-hush that he would be there, but I just had to tip off my two non-TORn friends who had driven down separately for the Symphony. They were thrilled to death to meet him, and also are in the group photo (the last two on the right in the bottom row).

Meeting Karen Wynn Fonstad and hearing her talk about writing "The Atlas of Middle Earth" at our dinner (so glad I brought my copy for her to sign!). I didn't know at the time that she was battling cancer. She was so happy to see Alan Lee; in the group photo, she's the one next to him in the white jacket.

Attending not one, but TWO performances of the Symphony!!! Though it meant skipping out early on the dinner, it was worth it.

Meeting Howard Shore after the Saturday night concert. We waited a very long time at the stage door. When he finally emerged, he signed a few programs and CDs and then said "I think that's enough" and started to make a move to leave. I was next up, so I shamelessly begged for an autograph, mentioning that I had come all the way from NC and had been at both performances that day. He kind of did a double take and said, "Really? So was I!" (LOL!) He then asked if I was there for the moot (apparently, Alan Lee had mentioned it to him). The other TORnadoes who were gathered around all shouted, "We're here for the moot!" so he stuck around to sign everyone's stuff, accepted a moot T-shirt, and posed with us for pictures. He must have been utterly exhausted, having conducted two performances that day, and he probably was expected at some official post-concert reception or party, so it was incredibly fine of him to stay so long to interact with fans.

I haven't had the opportunity to attend any other moots since then, but I already have my ticket for Radio City Music Hall in October, and I look forward to meeting more of you!

Hobbit Family Histories

Saelind
Lorien

Apr 28 2009, 2:58am

Post #35 of 37 (881 views)
Shortcut
small correction [In reply to] Can't Post

I had actually posted in the RR earlier than '06 but it was under a different screen name. I was a rather infrequent poster though.

(This post was edited by Saelind on Apr 28 2009, 2:59am)

Tamara
Rivendell

Apr 29 2009, 7:47pm

Post #36 of 37 (876 views)
Shortcut
Tie: Return of the One Party and the ORC [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a late bloomer and came into the films a couple months before Return of the King. I loved my Boston group and I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Oscar Party held by TORn that year. I went by myself, since no one else I knew had bought tickets. I had a blast meeting more ringers at the diner, the Oscar Fashion exhibit, Fan Club, and TORn party. Winning all those Oscars amongst Ringers was such fun.

The first LOTR convention, ORC, was the other top moot. I went with two friends, roomed with a complete stranger who was sweet as pie, and got to see so many of the caset and crew that I didn't feel as if I'd missed out on so much after all. Such a good time that I think my report is still up on my website somewhere.

Some of my favorite small moots happened when our group leader left trilogy Tuesday to our own rented theater for ROTK - when most of the group couldn't get tickets due to a Fandango fiasco. I also loved meeting Lith and OverLithe at DragonCon a few years ago and hanging out in my suite (a free upgrade after the hotel screwed up our room assignment) talking about their trip to New Zealand- a trip I still plan to make after I finish my Master's degree in fall 2010. Be warned Deej, I'm probably going to want to pick your brain too! Wink I keep hoping I can go rope more people into going with me on their return trip- so I have some experienced travelers to help me.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'd still like to visit Minas Tirith (New Zealand).

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2009, 8:10pm

Post #37 of 37 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And whatever I can't answer, i'm sure there are lots of folks here on the boards that can. Smile

"...and back again."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.