Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Specter

Apr 26 2009, 12:44am

Post #76 of 327 (41882 views)
Shortcut
silneldor [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always been a special place in my heart for TORn. I'm glad it's here. I've seen LOTR about 100 times... and that's not an exaggeration. Probably more, actually.

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 26 2009, 12:46am

Post #77 of 327 (41544 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Specter [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for such a beautiful 'birthday card' and such a nice post about our celebration on your site. Us fantasy fans have to stick together. WinkSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 12:48am

Post #78 of 327 (41717 views)
Shortcut
Life changing [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, doing art as a full-time profession is SOOOO different to that rat-race life before that! I could never go back. No day feels like work. Mind you, no day feels like a holiday, either. Every day's a workday and every day's a holiday, too - it's just a kind of continuum, in which weekends are meaningless, and I never remember what day it is.

I like my Cape Cod map too! I'm looking forward to doing some more real-life maps - NZ's Marlborough Sounds would be really nice.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:52am

Post #79 of 327 (41996 views)
Shortcut
You're so very kind! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, it is, thank you :-)

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:54am

Post #80 of 327 (41762 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely! Thank you! / [In reply to] Can't Post

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 12:55am

Post #81 of 327 (41918 views)
Shortcut
...*Contemplating* [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you want to jump ship? I bet Del Toro could use a another good manSmile.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 26 2009, 12:55am

Post #82 of 327 (41755 views)
Shortcut
So glad you could make it, Sohaib! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't often get to listen to your interviews, unfortunately, but I devour the transcripts that Deleece does for us. It's truly turned into a fabulous partnership, hasn't it? Thank you for your message and for the great work you do for, and with, us! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 1:06am

Post #83 of 327 (41958 views)
Shortcut
I could not resist [In reply to] Can't Post

showing you your map framed and up in front of me as i sit at my desk. I just love it.

Map

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 1:14am

Post #84 of 327 (41999 views)
Shortcut
That's even more impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

when you see the steps it took to get to the final result.

I think I was drawn to the onion skins originally. (I love natural objects and they're about the only thing that truly inspires me to draw), but in seeing the steps, I'm struck by the shininess and reflectivity of the knife (I think I have that knife, btw!). I think that's a subtle effect that worked on me subliminally. Thanks for posting those.

Yes, I can imagine that wrapping paper would be an archivist's nightmare. But I'm going to remember that if I have to do something similar.

I love playing with Arches.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 1:15am

Post #85 of 327 (42164 views)
Shortcut
That makes me think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel, did you ever eaves drop on the map thread we had going here where everyone showed off their frames?

(where is that thread?)

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Xoanon
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 1:17am

Post #86 of 327 (42039 views)
Shortcut
Just saw the vid and the card [In reply to] Can't Post

PURE awesome, I love it...thanks so much WETA..and thank YOU TORNsibs for keeping this place alive! Here's to celebrating our 20th in 2019!

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 1:32am

Post #87 of 327 (41706 views)
Shortcut
With a life-size prop of Smaug, of course (a la Mumakil) [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, that as a backdrop at rhe 20th Anniversary Party would be pushing it a bit too much I think--

But I just want to say, THANK YOU Xoanan, and all the other three, for what a wonderful gift you've given us. You have no idea. And I can't imagine how my (attimes) crotechedy self keeps "This place alive" but I will try to help!:)

LOVED the video--have to remember that winter is starting down there, everyone else must have been cold! LOL at them trying to fit TORN in--and it was GREAT seeing some of my favorite LOTR props (the Orc head on a spike--Shagrat?--yay!)
Amazing how Guillermo looks already the head of the team, filling PJ's place...

To various VIPS--Guillermo, I have replied already in other threads--thank you for participating in WETA's birthday tribute/card. Looking great!

Kristen: YOu know already how I feel about your book--like Peredhil, I have posted on this at length. Thank you again for a wonderful work of scholarship, and looking to "Team Hobbit" whatever it will eventually be called!

Doug Adams--(if he shows up in here)--that goes for your book as well, can't wait to read it as well as attend the show at Radio City!

Doug Jones--do mine eyes deceive me? What are YOU doing on TORN, Mr. J? We wonders, yes we does. Hoping you are indeed becoming a 'member of the family."
All the rest-I don't "know" you as well as I should, but after these great posts I promise to do so better!

And last to all the Mods--esp Altaira and Ataahua. Thank you so much for all you do. You have no idea, again. It must be tough at times--hard work. But you have made this such an enjoyable place to be.

God bless.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 26 2009, 1:41am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 1:32am

Post #88 of 327 (42149 views)
Shortcut
Here are some photos of the frames: [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi's frame

A few more here (including entmaiden's and Lily Fairbairn's, with more on the following page)

silneldor's

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 1:35am

Post #89 of 327 (41786 views)
Shortcut
Quick watercolours [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a couple of those watercolour demonstration paintings I mentioned. The first one is painted with a limited palette of only two colours: indigo and burnt sienna. So you have to make the most of tone and composition:

And for this next one, I put myself on the spot, asking "What shall I paint now?". "Do some figures" they replied, and "A beach scene". I also wanted to demonstrated a graded wash, so I painted this picture, very quickly, and with no initial sketching beforehand - just straight from my head onto paper with paint. Fast and immediate, necessarily loose:

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 1:38am

Post #90 of 327 (41675 views)
Shortcut
Map [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's neat to see! Love it! And nice to have the other Middle-earth next to it, with similar framing. Very nice - thanks for sharing it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 1:39am

Post #91 of 327 (42070 views)
Shortcut
Here's to 10 more!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Welcome to the Family! What a thrill ride it's been... and it's getting nothing but better!

Cheers, Sir!! And thanks for everything!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 1:45am

Post #92 of 327 (41457 views)
Shortcut
Map frames thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Beggin' your pardon, but there ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.

Actually, I did eavesdrop on various map threads a few times, and it was very heart-warming to do so. :-) I saw a handful of the frames - amazing how many different choices were made, but all appropriate!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 1:51am

Post #93 of 327 (41978 views)
Shortcut
Wow, such evocative paintings, Daniel. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just beautiful in their deceptive simplicity. Thank you for posting them here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 2:05am

Post #94 of 327 (41653 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem! It was an interesting experience doing demonstration paintings (same goes for the Sketching Tour) - you kinda put yourself on the spot and have to paint by instinct, with hardly any forward planning. Very good practice.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 2:07am

Post #95 of 327 (41479 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Magnus [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys have just been so awesome over this. It's so much more than we expected.

*one very happy little kitty (points at avatar)*

Kelvarhin x

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 2:11am

Post #96 of 327 (41781 views)
Shortcut
It's so great to have you here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fortunate to meet you at ORC 2006 and you autographed one of my favourite images of our hobbits! I was completely enchanted by this perfect respresentation of their personalities! But your enthusiasm made taking this home with me all the more meaningful. I have it displayed with my Sideshow figures of all 4 hobbits :) I still smile every time I stop and just enjoy it.

So many of our stories begin so quietly and personal; but they've led us all here where we can share our excitement and joy. Ten years! It's hard to believe.

Thank you so much for being here :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 3 2009, 4:09pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 2:16am

Post #97 of 327 (41632 views)
Shortcut
*waves madly! Howdy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're SO RIGHT! Well said :) Thank you so much!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 2:23am

Post #98 of 327 (41482 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! *geeky hand-clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

What a GREAT gift! Cheers and Thank you so much!!

sample

Specter

Apr 26 2009, 2:35am

Post #99 of 327 (41738 views)
Shortcut
Thank YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a lot of fun putting that together. I looked for a good pair of characters to mix, and those were the two I came up with. It's very iconic, with two kings from two writers who were friends!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 2:37am

Post #100 of 327 (41846 views)
Shortcut
A warm welcome to you Alicia:) [In reply to] Can't Post

You surely picked a great time to join in. Stick around, there should more to comeSmile.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.