Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
*** TORN Tenth Anniversary Post *** : “What have been your favorite discussion series here?”

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 1:15am

Post #1 of 10 (886 views)
Shortcut
*** TORN Tenth Anniversary Post *** : “What have been your favorite discussion series here?” Can't Post

Weaver heads up this great trip back through time recalling some outstanding discussions that have been held here at TORn. In here you will find fantastic insights and memories of those golden times.
So now, Miss weaver, if you will....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We’ve had some great discussion series here through the years – some, like Screencap of the Day, have stood the test of time, others have come and gone.

One we did after the films first came out were called “The Middle Earth Files”, which were organized by a wonderful TORn-member named jflower. Here are some links to a few of the discussions from that series, which focused on the different characters:

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/40F2354C00057101.html

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/41FD7E0E0005EE5B.html

I thought you might also be interested in some of the early Scene Discussions here – we went through the films one scene at a time, kind of like the RR does with one chapter of the books. Here are a few links:

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/40CA8B600005514F.html

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/413DDF2000059745.html

Once these were done, we did the Annotated Discussions, based on things gleaned from the Commentaries. Here’s some links to a few samples:

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/438B34180006248B.html

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/451AFFEE00063D8B.html

And finally, more recently, Ohio Hobbit treated us to a series of Technical Discussions – here’s the link to those:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=96111;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_expandable;guest=1262751

Here are our current discussions, which are now on the boards regularly(or from time to time):
  • Screencap of the Day – Now on its fourth leader, I think! – Arwen’s Daughter
  • Questions that Need Answering (QTNA) – Hobbitlove
  • Movie Trivia—now on its third leader – Jazmine
  • Did You Ever Notice...Arwen’s Daughter’s Costume Posts
  • PROPs – by Frederica Bolger
  • MISC – Miscellaneous Interesting Screencaps, by Loresilme
  • GOLD Nuggets – Geeky Observation List Details, by Lossefalme
  • Lyrics Discussion – by Hobbitlove
  • Appendices Discussions – organized by Ohio Hobbit and Alcarcalime

Hope I didn’t miss any!

Questions:
  1. Do you find it hard to believe we haven’t run out of things to talk about?
  2. What discussions have been/are your favorites and why?
  3. Did you participate in the discussions of the past – what memories can you share? Any former movie board regulars you especially miss?
  4. Do you have any favorite discussion threads saved? Post them here if you do!
  5. If we didn’t have organized discussions, would you still post or visit here?
  6. Any other comments – please share them here!

P.S. If you want to go treasure hunting for more of the early discussions on this board, or other message boards, here’s a place you can find links to many of them…

http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 2:10am

Post #2 of 10 (576 views)
Shortcut
thanks for posting this for me, and don't ever make me pick just one.. [In reply to] Can't Post

My 12 year old had a birthday party today, too, so Rivendweller did some posting for me, great collaborator that she is. Thanks Riv!

Even though I asked the question, I cannot possibly pick my favorite discussion, as we've had such good ones through the years. I have loved them all!

We've also been blessed by a lot of great leaders who latched onto something in the films they felt passionate about and organized or presented, all by themselves, something we could all chime in on.

I want to salute our current leaders (Arwen’s Daughter, Hobbitlove, Jazmine, Frederica Bolger, Loresilme, Lossefalme, Ohio Hobbit and Alcarcalime) as well as a few folks from the past whom we've not seen for awhile but I hope are still out there somewhere:

jflower -- who did The Middle Earth Files

mortae
-- who rose up to lead around here when we really needed it

Reera the Red
-- who developed the screencap library we use daily

Canadanthony
-- who has us vote for different TORnsib awards for the films

Aragorn_Elesar
-- who transcribed the director/writers commentaries for FOTR/TTT

And whoever organized the two rounds of scene discussions we did for each film
-- first the TE's, then the EE's -- does anyone remember who our organizers were back then?

I really hope I did not miss anyone, but if I did, please speak up and that to the list!

All in all, our current leaders are following in some strong footsteps, and leaving some nice footprints for future leaders to follow, don't you think?

And of course, leaders need participants and it's great to see so many new and long-time folks around these days, keeping things interesting, and keeping things going...

The discussion goes ever on and on, I guess!

Weaver

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 2:30am

Post #3 of 10 (572 views)
Shortcut
Past Scene Discussion leaders [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not around for some of the earlier discussions but I do remember well who spear-headed the Scene Discussions of the ROTK as well as ROTK-EE and that was Estelwyn.

Here was a TORnsib I shall not forget as she helped me tremendously with my first ever Scene Discussion. When the roll call went up for leaders I eagerly jumped into the fray waving frantically to lead up the " I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you ! " scene. It was only after I saw how beautifully written and detailed the discussions were that I panicked. I had a " I can't do this Sam ! " moment.

Estelwyn came to my rescue and after much encouragement and using her own time and talent for inserting screen-caps around text, a wonderful post emerged. I could never have completed it on my own back then. A friendship was also born as a result of that collaborative effort. Such was the help and friendship of TORn then as it remains to this day.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 2:33am

Post #4 of 10 (569 views)
Shortcut
Estelwyn! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was pretty new back then, and I was having so much fun reading, lurking, and posting that I guess I just thought all those posts magically appeared somehow!

Weaver

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 4:24am

Post #5 of 10 (592 views)
Shortcut
A favorite TORNsib though [In reply to] Can't Post

AMAZING list!!! I will print these out!

I wonder what ever happened to the estimable Bucky Underbelly? He worked in the Biz, and had some lower-level contacts in NY/NJ. His insights into Hollywood and discussion of the business aspects of the films/lawsuits etc were invaluable and enjoyable. He was a sort of precursor to Voronwe the Faithful IMO.

Bucky...if you're out there...you're missed! Unsure

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 26 2009, 4:25am)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 12:41pm

Post #6 of 10 (591 views)
Shortcut
The variety here is what makes it so great ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find myself always running to the Movie Discussion, because I always love to chat about movies, and being that there's so much variety as to what we can talk about here, it's always fresh and fun.

A big thanks to everyone involved in the discussions for making some great memories. Smile

What Could Have Been - an ongoing discussion of things that may or may not have been in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 4:09pm

Post #7 of 10 (521 views)
Shortcut
No favorite disucssion [In reply to] Can't Post

I find I feed of other people's thoughts. I have my own and have been known to post them at length (not so much here but at previous forums). But I am thrilled when I encounter a new idea or thought that takes me beyond my own thinking. I find certain people here do that often and it rarely matters what the discussion is about, I'm getting an aha or sigh moment. So any discussion on movie is a good discussion!

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2009, 1:44am

Post #8 of 10 (532 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting these! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been around for long and I didn't know anything about many of these discussions! Frown They are lovely! I'm dying to see another round of the scene by scene one!!! I've thought about it a number of times but had no idea it had been done. Fantastic!

As about my favourites, the SCOD and since recently - the PROPS. Also, the costume thread is very interesting... Loresilme's MISC is also aming my favourite ones... Heart A big thank you to all leaders and inventors for their great job!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on April 30th on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2009, 2:06am

Post #9 of 10 (512 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Great links! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

When you stop and look back at all that we've discussed and shared, it really is amazing that we haven't lost our zest to investigate even more!

Do you find it hard to believe we haven’t run out of things to talk about? US!? Nahhhhhh ;)

What discussions have been/are your favorites and why? Ohhh... can't pick favs. All are thought provoking and inspiring :D

Did you participate in the discussions of the past – what memories can you share? Any former movie board regulars you especially miss? I did participate, and was often very intimidated by the brilliance of the discussions! There are so many sibs I miss having around. jordan the discursive was always fun, and Wright Words, Scout, White Owl, Solikat... way too many that have been awol far too long.

If we didn’t have organized discussions, would you still post or visit here? Absolutely! I think if we weren't discussing things in an organized way... we'd still be chattering our little hearts out :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Aerin
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2009, 5:41am

Post #10 of 10 (608 views)
Shortcut
My favorites were the unorganized discussions [In reply to] Can't Post

from the second, third, and fourth ages of TORn. They got pretty contentious at times, but during that period, I hardly ever visited any board except Movie. I did enjoy leading a couple segments of organized scene discussions, but what really engaged me in the first place was the free-for-all that was early TORn.

Hobbit Family Histories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.