Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How did TORN come to be?

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 25 2009, 7:14pm

Post #1 of 18 (1169 views)
Shortcut
How did TORN come to be? Can't Post

I am not sure if it is posted elsewhere, if so, please someone point me in the right direction.

I see that Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri and Corvar are from different places and wondered how they got together to make TORN the great place it is.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 18 (893 views)
Shortcut
In th Beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

There were hot lumps...

Kangi Ska

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 25 2009, 8:11pm

Post #3 of 18 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Xoanon and I met through Aint It Cool News [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking at the original "20 Questions" that PJ posted there, and then wandered on to a forum where people were discussing other fantasy /science fiction movie projects coming up. Xoanon and I got chatting (first about James Cameron's "Red Mars" movie project, which never happened) and once i mentioned that LOTR was being made here in NZ, he suggested setting up a website to track the movie's development. After a few months of that, Calisuri and Corvar contacted us with the promise of creating a much slicker, better - looking website. That's the site that we're celebrating now!

Gollum2008
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 9:56pm

Post #4 of 18 (870 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Peter Jackson. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Peter for setting up a site for one of the greatest trilogies, one of the greatest books, one of the greatest stories I've ever saw, read and heard of. Lord of the Rings never gets boring.

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 25 2009, 10:23pm

Post #5 of 18 (876 views)
Shortcut
Well no, Peter didn't set up the site... [In reply to] Can't Post

We did. WIth the help and enthusiasm and support of thousands of fans, of course!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2009, 10:32pm

Post #6 of 18 (842 views)
Shortcut
It was a social-networking site once. Taken by the Dark Power.../ [In reply to] Can't Post

"What happens now?"

"Well, we wait until nightfall, then Aragorn, Legolas, and I leap out of the rabbit..."

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 25 2009, 10:49pm

Post #7 of 18 (880 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't you name it "MyTolkien" or "HobbitBook," "FaceHobbit," or "Polantitter"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy to see you poking around here Erica. I hope you are feeling the love from all corners. Tongue

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 11:09pm

Post #8 of 18 (994 views)
Shortcut
and there's a story there . . . many stories in fact [In reply to] Can't Post

at first PJ & co weren't sure how to deal with this site. They even slapped Tehanu with some kind of legal thingy for trespassing or something after pictures of the Helm's Deep site were posted here, right? (Please do clarify my foggy memory.) But fortunately they wised up quickly and began cooperating with TORN, and there's lots of tales about that. One of the staff, Quickbeam, even got to be an extra in ROTK. The ultimate was when the cast & crew blew off other Hollywood parties to attend The One Party hosted by TORN after winning all the Oscars for ROTK!

To change how we see things takes falling in love. Then the same becomes altogther different. Like love, a shift of sight can be redemptive. - James Hillman
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Xoanon
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 12:59am

Post #9 of 18 (945 views)
Shortcut
First Days of TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

Erica summed it up just about right, I was actually fascinated with movie making and was following the production of the James Bond film 'The World is Not Enough' on fansites, and I thought "I can do that". I cut my teeth on that film, learning how to generate leads and gather information. When I met Erica and she mentioned LOTR, it was a perfect fit (and an amazing bit of timing).

We would have gone nowhere without the skills and knowledge of Chris and Bill, they took our free 'Xoom.com' website and turned it into a real domain. We had to learn how to program, since the first instance of torn did not contain a content management system..so Chris had to teach me how to insert code...THAT was fun :).

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 1:06am

Post #10 of 18 (846 views)
Shortcut
Apparently wraiths are better online than street team recruiters// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 1:42am

Post #11 of 18 (834 views)
Shortcut
Didn't you mean Polantwitter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2009, 1:51am

Post #12 of 18 (849 views)
Shortcut
A ruined and terrible form of site. And now, perfected./ [In reply to] Can't Post

"What happens now?"

"Well, we wait until nightfall, then Aragorn, Legolas, and I leap out of the rabbit..."

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 3:32pm

Post #13 of 18 (827 views)
Shortcut
*snert* iTolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

or rather iTolkien....

the bold, italic is mandatory

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 8:23pm

Post #14 of 18 (799 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for letting us know.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was curious how it all came to be. I am glad that it did! Smile

Photobucket

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 8:25pm

Post #15 of 18 (795 views)
Shortcut
Now that is an awesome story!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Larewen
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 8:27pm

Post #16 of 18 (813 views)
Shortcut
Again, I thank you for the information [In reply to] Can't Post

and for the website. Smile

Photobucket

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2009, 4:19pm

Post #17 of 18 (812 views)
Shortcut
thanks for posting this question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to have a thread on this topic this weekend! I never knew either!

Weaver

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2009, 4:39pm

Post #18 of 18 (849 views)
Shortcut
*settles on floor, wrapped in blankie, popcorn bowl in hand* Story time!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Little did you know... people actually liked your site ;)

I'm so glad you didn't decide to skip getting online that day. *sigh*

Four Founders
...In honor of
......TORN's annual
......Founder's Day Celebration
...........Established 4/26/09

...Corvar, Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri.....LARGER IMAGE

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.