Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:04pm

Post #51 of 327 (42863 views)
Shortcut
Lynette! So good to see you [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed your discussions at ORC, and hope to see you again soon. Thanks so much for stopping by the party!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:16pm

Post #52 of 327 (42814 views)
Shortcut
Hi Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for joining in.

The Map graces a wall in our house, and gives much pleasure.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:17pm

Post #53 of 327 (42879 views)
Shortcut
Thank you to all you wonderful people! / [In reply to] Can't Post

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 11:21pm

Post #54 of 327 (43022 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Lynnette!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for joining our joyful celebration:). It is a wonderful community in all senses of the word isn't it?
Thanks and much love accepted and returned:).
Cheers and yours in fellowship.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 11:22pm

Post #55 of 327 (42854 views)
Shortcut
Sketching [In reply to] Can't Post

Pencil is of course very good for sketching, but to develop a pencil sketch to the point where I'd call it a finished artwork takes quite some time. Far quicker is watercolour. I recently taught a painting workshop in which I did three complete paintings in a short time - only possible because I was using watercolour. So I guess watercolour is my favoured medium - it's fast, and used properly can be quite dramatic. (I can upload small images of a couple of those paintings in one of these posts, if you like, if I can figure out how - I'm a newbie at this posting business... ;-)

Having said that, I was working on some advertising artwork yesterday, using acrylic, and got a great result resonably quickly.

And for sketching, one shouldn't overlook charcoal - this can be very expressive, and because there's no colour involved, it's necessary to make the most of light and shade, tone. Great discipline!

As for another Red Carpet Sketching Tour, I'd LOVE to do one - it was EXCELLENT! It's on the horizon - we're just figuring out whether to try an Autumn one instead of Spring. Come along!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 11:38pm

Post #56 of 327 (42572 views)
Shortcut
Painting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the compliment! I've been painting in acrylic for the last few days - it's artwork for an advertisement - and it's been good to explore that medium a bit more. I can't "let it out of the box" yet, until the ad campaign is up and running, but I'll put it up on my website when I can.

Landscapes... hmmmm, they look great painted, SHOULD be painted - and I do them now and again, when something really grabs my attention. Some dramatic lighting or whatever. But I have a number of other images in my head that are insisting on being painted first, and also a calligraphy exhibition coming up in August. These things, plus the need to do commercial jobs to pay the bills, keep my painting output frustratingly slow.

But I'll get there. I have a series of oil paintings in mind (some more NZ wildlife, and one from Maori legend), and also another large watercolour of a wellington scene. Can't wait to get started!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 11:43pm

Post #57 of 327 (42506 views)
Shortcut
Greetings fellow conspirator! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Entmaiden, and well met again! Those days of planning the map are treasured memories!

Yep, Hobbit news will be forthcoming as and when - although it'll probably appear on TORn long before I'm allowed to talk about it!

Hey, and thanks for buying those fonts the other day - I meant to email you, but one thing drives out another, as Barliman would say.... ;-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:48pm

Post #58 of 327 (42696 views)
Shortcut
What a delight! Thank you so much! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Specter

Apr 25 2009, 11:49pm

Post #59 of 327 (43172 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Birthday, TORn! From your friends at NarniaFans.com!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 26 2009, 12:00am)

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 11:51pm

Post #60 of 327 (42511 views)
Shortcut
Kia ora Kimi [In reply to] Can't Post

Kia ora Kimi! (from one kiwi to another)

Glad to join in the celebration, and say hello to all you wonderful folk. I hope your fiction writing is going well - you have a real gift

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 11:52pm

Post #61 of 327 (43165 views)
Shortcut
Tank you [In reply to] Can't Post

It is really good to see that all you wonderful people down there in middle earth remember us poor denizens of the outer darkness.

Kangi Ska

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:55pm

Post #62 of 327 (42656 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, love your greeting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nicely done! Thank you! Smile

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:59pm

Post #63 of 327 (42681 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't sure you would recognize the e-mail addy [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting to get them for a while, and snapped them up as soon as I learned they were available again. I also meant to drop you a message that it was me, but I have the same problem as Barliman ;).

Can I put in a plug for a Red Carpet sketching tour for autumn 2010? (That would be March/April 2010). Some of us are kicking around the idea of visiting NZ around that time, and I would definitely love to do the sketching tour. Although I have zero talent, every tour needs someone who admires everyone's work....

Meant to say what a great job you did on the Valaquenta. Lovely.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 12:00am

Post #64 of 327 (42732 views)
Shortcut
Wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am gobsmacked by how many people having taken the time to send their best wishes! It is truly amazing, and a testament to what makes this place so wonderful

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 12:00am

Post #65 of 327 (43214 views)
Shortcut
Hey Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

As part of the map conspiracy, I was really touched by all your generosity towards that project. And then again for The Valaquenta of TORn (I don't know if that's been posted on the message boards here at all). I wanted to thank you for contributions.

Back during the map thing, I visited your site and feel in love with the onion painting.

I would love to look over your shoulder while you work, especially on the maps. What kind of paper do you use when you do a map?

Cheers. Thanks for visiting.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Specter

Apr 26 2009, 12:07am

Post #66 of 327 (42748 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome! I had to do something for it! :-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:10am

Post #67 of 327 (42651 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely greeting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the "card". Thanks so much for joining the celebration!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 12:13am

Post #68 of 327 (42567 views)
Shortcut
Sketching and Valaquenta [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, an Autumn Sketching Tour would be great - and I think that's the way the organisers are leaning. Otago (in NZ's South Island) is incredibly beautiful at that time of year, so I'd love to go back and paint then. I'll pass on your plug to Vic and Raewyn - and I look forward to seeing you on the Tour!

And the Valaquenta - what a GREAT interpretation Alassëa Eruvande has written with this! Wow! I only played a small, making a nice visual effect for it with the parchment and font, but I think the piece itself is the real gem. My Tolkien-geekiness was showing through, in that I could easily have re-inserted all the Tolkien names into the text, having read The Silmarillion so many times, even though the last time was quite a few years ago.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 12:17am

Post #69 of 327 (43147 views)
Shortcut
My first thought in reading it was... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to hear Martin Shaw's voice reading this!

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:17am

Post #70 of 327 (42665 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the celebration, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine that things will be hotting up for you and your work, as production on The Hobbit gets further along! Smile

Having the opportunity to turn a hobby into a full-time profession would be a dream come true! Did you find that it changed your everyday life very much?

(p.s. love your map of Cape Cod!)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 12:19am

Post #71 of 327 (42818 views)
Shortcut
I covet that map [In reply to] Can't Post

Every once in a while I go to Daniel's site and look at it. I want it and someday I'll get it. Hmmm....maybe a 10th anniversary celebration is a good reason????

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Alicia
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 12:24am

Post #72 of 327 (42524 views)
Shortcut
New here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all! I'm Alicia; I've visited TORn many times, but only now joined the message boards to say Congratulations!! Smile Read through all of the messages on this thread... how nice to see all of the lovely people & comments! Everyone keep up the great work! As for the next Sketching Tour... I want to go so badly I can taste it!! Don't know when I'll get back to NZ, but I will, and permanently this time. In the meantime, I just bought a sketchpad & pencils today, & have done 2 truly awful sketches. Daniel - help! Shocked
-Alicia
allywag67@aol.com
www.thewagband.com

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 12:28am

Post #73 of 327 (43039 views)
Shortcut
Greetings Spector! [In reply to] Can't Post

That greeting is a blast, two lion hearts truly.
Hey, it so neat that you all popped over to celebrate with us on our 10th. It is a good time to see Fantasy alive and well.
Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 12:35am

Post #74 of 327 (42576 views)
Shortcut
Painting and paper [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie, and greetings again!

I use good quality watercolour paper for most of my maps. Mostly Fabriano Artistico EW, Cold Pressed. Though I may switch to Arches - I've just bought a load of it, because it can take a lot of wetting and re-wetting, without losing it's crispness.

Having said that, the map which Bilbo is folding up in the FOTR prologue was done on brown wrapping paper! It was nice and brown and crinkly and easily foldable - but probably an archivist's nightmare!

And thanks for your comments about the onion painting. I loved doing that, and I'm looking forward to doing some more oils like it. I did several quickish studies first, trying the methods of various different Old Masters, and eventually settled on a technique which uses quite a lot of medium as a vehicle for the pigment, especially in the early and background layers. I'll try to attach an image of some progress shots of this painting below...

(This post was edited by DanielReeve on Apr 26 2009, 12:41am)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 26 2009, 12:36am

Post #75 of 327 (42823 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see some examples! [In reply to] Can't Post

The easiest way to post a pic is to upload it from your hard drive. (Edited to add: I see you're already a pro at it, so disregard what's below unless you're in to reading dry instructions. Wink)

When you're writing a post, there's an area to upload attachments at the bottom, which includes pictures:

- With your cusor in the "Browse" box, find the pic and double click on it to get it into the "Browse" box.
- Click on the "Inline" box next to the "Upload attachment" button
- click the "Upload attachment" button.
- do this for every pic you want to attach.
- put your cursor in your post where you want the pic to show up

Then, in the upper right there's an icon that looks like a picture of a mountain. Click on it, select "Inline attachment" then selct your pics. Repeat to imbed more pics.

FYI, for asthetic reasons and for those who might have slow connections, our picture posting guidelines are below. I can't wait to see what you select. Smile

the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 50k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 250k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 50k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 25k, etc.).

-

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 26 2009, 12:52am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.