Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
**TORn 10th Anniversary Tributes to our Founders from VIP FRIENDS OF TORn!!** Note--> VIP Posts have hearts next to them :-)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 9:13pm

Post #26 of 327 (44197 views)
Shortcut
Cheers Sohaib! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 9:27pm

Post #27 of 327 (44291 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Colleen:) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is delightful to have you join us. It was really interesting hearing your story. Hey, dreams happen don't they? I really got a big smile from your 'hobbit feet'. I now have a viable working 'true' vision of them.Laugh
I would love to see more of your work.
Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 9:42pm

Post #28 of 327 (44319 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Anne [In reply to] Can't Post

for sending your greetings. Yes Dragon Con was such a blast when i was there.
I also found your book "Tolkien in the Land of Heroes" very insightful.
Yes, live long and prosper yourself:).
Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 25 2009, 9:45pm

Post #29 of 327 (44395 views)
Shortcut
That made me laugh and cry at the same time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Listening to everyone trying to fit: "Happy birthday TheOneRing.net" into the Happy Birthday song had me ROFL. At the same time, the overall sentiment, and everyone taking the time to do both the card and the video, brought more than a few tears to my eyes.

Absolutely brilliant!! LaughLaugh

THANK YOU ALL, and thank you Magnus for helping bring all of this together. Smile

*Many hugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 10:07pm

Post #30 of 327 (44564 views)
Shortcut
HEY, that was super you guys!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed that you ALL stopped in with that video. I am still giggling. I'm going back to catch that again.
I love your signed card too and your dragon motif.
I must say i am tickled pink.
I am so happy that you could celebrate our fabulous founders..and us all here on our 10th. It is a true honor and i am truly elated.
Spiritually yours in Tolkien too:), with grand thoughts and confidence for the future.
sil

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 10:14pm

Post #31 of 327 (44497 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing card, amazing costumes and props, and pretty good singing too :-D Thanks so much for stopping by the party, and for all the magic you've worked through the years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 10:17pm

Post #32 of 327 (45363 views)
Shortcut
Message from Daniel Reeve [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy tenth anniversary to TheOneRing.net! Tehanu, Xoanon, Corvar and Calisuri, look upon the vast thing you have wrought!

From humble beginnings, TORn has become the cornerstone of Tolkien fandom on the net. TORn is now a living, breathing thing, animated collectively by the wonderful folk who meet there online. Congratulations to all of you TORnSibs out there who have made this incredible community, fanbase and family.

And more than that, TORn is an invaluable guide to those of us who work on the films. If we want an up-to-the-minute situation report, we can check out TORn for the definitive answer!

So keep up the great work – things will be hotting up as The Hobbit approaches... ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel Reeve

PS. I'll be online as much as possible today and tomorrow to answer whatever questions are thrown my way on this thread - though naturally I can't reveal much about The Hobbit...

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 25 2009, 10:22pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 10:20pm

Post #33 of 327 (43832 views)
Shortcut
Your sentiment is very touching [In reply to] Can't Post

and emotional and i agree completely about the continuing embodiment of fellowship. Thank you very much for celebrating with us.
Cheers!

Magnus

Apr 25 2009, 10:22pm

Post #34 of 327 (44085 views)
Shortcut
You are too kind... all of you... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the least we could do.

I hope you all spotted Mike Mignola in there as well?

The dragon is of course Daniel's contribution

:-)

Cheers

Magnus
Weta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 10:30pm

Post #35 of 327 (43790 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have my copy of your Map up on my office wall at work. Well...actually, I have the poster there. The print is safe at home.

Thanks again for doing that for us. You're such an incredibly great sport!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Lynnette Porter

Apr 25 2009, 10:35pm

Post #36 of 327 (44510 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary, congratulations, thanks, and much love! [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn has been such an important part of my Tolkien “experience” in the past decade, and I still visit at least once every day that I’m online. You help define Fellowship for all us fans and have given us such a wonderfully supportive community.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Xoanon at a fan convention and enjoying a wonderful dinner in Queenstown with Tehanu. I’ve met many TORn staffers online and at conventions like ORC, ELF, and the Fellowship Festival, and I appreciate the behind-the-scenes efforts of everyone I haven’t yet met but have heard so much about. Thank you so much for your dedication and continuing hard work. My experiences as a Tolkien fan, author, and professor are all the more enjoyable because of TORn.

I’m looking forward to DragonCon to renew old friendships and make new friends, and I’ll “see” you online.

Here’s to another decade (at least)!

DanielReeve
The Shire

Apr 25 2009, 10:35pm

Post #37 of 327 (43718 views)
Shortcut
TORn Messageboards map [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that map was such fun to do! My pleasure absolutely! I've been a Tolkien fan for about 100 years, so all the in-jokes made complete sense, and it was nice to play with images of TORn messageboards as places in Middle-earth. And all the while create a coherent piece of artwork. An excellent project!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:42pm

Post #38 of 327 (44055 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to the next 10 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the opportunity to spend the next several with you and the rest of the Hobbit team. Many thanks for your participation in our message boards, and your love and dedication to The Hobbit.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 25 2009, 10:45pm

Post #39 of 327 (43994 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for dropping in today. We're delighted that you've decide to spend your Sunday among us. We probably neglected to tell you that TORn is a lot like the Hotel California - you can 'log off' but you can never really leave. Wink

Also, thank you once again for the amazing TORn map. I still can't quite take in the fact that I have the original. I'm continually amazed and humbled that you and so many people here would do something like that. It means more to me than I can ever express in words. A hundred more THANK YOUs come to mind. Smile

Questions! I have a few to start with:

1) Regarding your artwork, I was wondering if you have a favorite medium to work in. I imagine sketches are primarily done in pencil? But, what would you rather break out and start working with? Or, do you enjoy variety.

2) Is there another Red Carpet sketching tour in your future?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 25 2009, 10:46pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:45pm

Post #40 of 327 (43764 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the Tolkien family! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many times this community is just like a family - for good and for not-so-good reasons.Wink But we wouldn't have it any other way. Here's to more collaboration on the Hobbit movies Smile

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:46pm

Post #41 of 327 (44026 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kristin [In reply to] Can't Post

Your book is a treasure, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Best of luck with it!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:47pm

Post #42 of 327 (43980 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you, Greg! [In reply to] Can't Post

We met briefly at ORC II, when I was helping Altaira with the scholar panels. I've enjoyed your work so much. Isn't it funny how so many of us became web-savvy because of Tolkien? There's some irony in that.....Cool

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:51pm

Post #43 of 327 (43648 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful story, Colleen [In reply to] Can't Post

I love hearing how someone can land their dream job. Best of luck getting future dream jobs, and hope to see you in New York in October!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:52pm

Post #44 of 327 (43928 views)
Shortcut
What a nice message! [In reply to] Can't Post

I so enjoyed seeing Anne at the ORC panels. Thanks for the good wishes, Anne!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Greg Wright

Apr 25 2009, 10:55pm

Post #45 of 327 (43792 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Entmaiden [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Isn't it funny how so many of us became web-savvy because of Tolkien? There's some irony in that.....Cool

And yet it's not surprising. As I wrote somewhere once, Tolkien was no Luddite... and he certainly made use of the printing press, didn't he?

(This post was edited by Greg Wright on Apr 25 2009, 10:57pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 10:56pm

Post #46 of 327 (43891 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is wonderful having you around as a sib and to celebrate with us on our 10th surrounding our fabulous four .

You have been so gracious with your help. I will always remember the fun you created with the map conspiracy for our dear Altaira and..well, i better clam up here.

What other things are you planning in the 'watercolours, oils and acrylics' department? Your acrylic paintings are amazing. I love tree and landscape paintings, particularly Bierstadt's work. Are you considering anything along these lines?
Cheers!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #47 of 327 (43659 views)
Shortcut
Wow - thanks to everyone at WETA! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a WETA pin several years ago, and I wear it proudly on any occasion. Thanks for bringing Middle-earth to life for so many of us. You all totally rock!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Altaira
Superuser

Post #48 of 327 (43859 views)
Shortcut
Sharing our "Tolkien experience"' together [In reply to] Can't Post

How excellent to see you here, Lynnette!

Your message reminds me of how we've all come here today along such different paths, all of us bringing our own "Tolkien experiences" with us. It's quite mind-boggling if you really stop and think about it.

I'm so glad we got to share part of our experiences with you and vice versa. Thank you for stopping by, and here's to seeing you again soon!

TORn Calendar

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 10:58pm

Post #49 of 327 (44044 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for your work! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was amazed, truly, by your work. It was so wonderful to be able to listen in and then discuss with my fellow TORNadoes.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:02pm

Post #50 of 327 (43894 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

So nice to see you here so you can celebrate with us. Hope all is well, and I'm trusting you will tell us your Hobbit news as soon as you can. Wink

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.