Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
** TORn Birthday Party Post - Let’s celebrate 10 years of Fan Art!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ginger
Rohan

Apr 25 2009, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 40 (6446 views)
Shortcut
** TORn Birthday Party Post - Let’s celebrate 10 years of Fan Art! Can't Post

Over the years I have been amazed at what people have posted. I just love how creative, talented, and amazing tornsibs are. People have posted fiction, poetry, artwork, quilts and costumes, cakes, limericks and all kinds of creative endeavors. Here’s to us!

In celebration of 10 years of message boards, we invite you to post your own favorite creative posts from through the years. Please only post your own work, unless you have the permission of the originator. I’m looking forward to this walk down Memory Lane, and I do hope others pick as their favorites some of my favorites of their works.

If you’d like, please also share how TORn has affected your creative talents.

If you post an image, please keep to TORn’s guidelines:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 50k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 250k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 50k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 25k, etc.).

These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide:

http://www.geocitie s.com/magpie930/ TORN/PostingImag es/index. htm

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 25 2009, 4:41pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 40 (5715 views)
Shortcut
Three images [In reply to] Can't Post

When I went back to school for graphic design, I was a little worried about the fact that I had never drawn anything. I mean, I would sketch out of need or specific request (like making a honeycomb picture for my son's teacher) but I never drew for enjoyment. My first class was a drawing class and I was pretty sure I couldn't do it. It didn't help that I am bright enough that my grades rarely ever dropped below a B+ in academic classes and I'm a perfectionist. I don't like not being perfect or getting it 'right'.

One of our assignments was to make 10 drawings of people.. our family and friends. But my family didn't sit still long enough to draw them. I think I got 8 but time was running out and they weren't around so I pulled out my Burger King LOTR figures to draw. I was making myself not obsess over perfection and I actually did pretty well. I mean... these drawings look like people!

You can tell that I really have problems with hands!

Legolas was very light and hard to scan. So I colored him in some archaic image program I had at the time.
Again, I was just happy it looked human.

I went on, in the class, to do a few drawings I was pretty proud of... and some further ones in an illustration class.
But I still don't really draw for fun, although I think I should more.

This one was done for a Tolkien forum I was on for awhile that encouraged artistic expression.
I decided I needed to push myself to draw more so I entered this one of the Long Expected Party in the category 'Celebration'.
It's a combination of chalk and some Conte crayons on colored stock.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cloudland
Bree

Apr 25 2009, 5:56pm

Post #3 of 40 (5697 views)
Shortcut
These [In reply to] Can't Post

are lovely Magpie. I myself am exploring drawing (for the first time seriously) and the human form is quite a challenge. Faces are very new to me and I must say I commend anyone who would tackle them.

cloudland (kloud'land'), n. 1. the sky. 2. a region of daydreams, imaginations, etc.; dreamland.

cloudland
Bree

Apr 25 2009, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 40 (5677 views)
Shortcut
I write [In reply to] Can't Post

poetry and occasionally write with Tolkien's inspiration. I've not posted here before so this is my first toe dip, so to speak. Small history, this was written for a Yule celebration at another Tolkien board. I very much like it and will share it here. Happy Birthday Tor.n! Smile

Narwain Estel

My name is Rhîw an apt name
for days like this; endless
but not without daily cheer.
Although the air snaps so does
a warm hearth inside a bar.
In Taure-Ndaedelos

there by Enchanted River
I wait for ethuil
and the maiden bell flowers.
I wait to kiss the last brown
stalk before the anor wakes
Yavanna’s gifts to Arda.

The Elvish words I’ve used are Sindarin. Here is a glossary:

Narwain = January
Estel = Hope
Rhîw = winter
bar = home
Taure-Ndaedelos = Name given to Mirkwood Forest after the War of the Ring
ethuil = spring
anor = sun

cloudland (kloud'land'), n. 1. the sky. 2. a region of daydreams, imaginations, etc.; dreamland.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 6:47pm

Post #5 of 40 (5837 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Most recent Tolkien-inspired drawing. Luthien a-dancing.

My most favorite portrait of my most favorite character; completed in 07.

And the picture in my footer :D Completed in 05. I was a baby.

All the originals, plus more, are in the link in my footer.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 25 2009, 7:10pm

Post #6 of 40 (5664 views)
Shortcut
I love the fellowscape [In reply to] Can't Post

fellowship portrait + landscape = fellowscape

It has a hunting appeal; evoking the bitter sweetness of reading the last few pages of a great book. Perfect mood for their somber journey Frown

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 7:29pm

Post #7 of 40 (5680 views)
Shortcut
A repost of my song and folkdance, "In the Shire" [In reply to] Can't Post

This was my entry to "Show Your Hobbit Pride" competition. I have to admit, I sing little snatches of this song to myself at times. :-)

PREFACE TO THE ENTRY:

When I first read the categories for this competition, I knew I had nothing to contribute. None of them fit my interests or skill sets and, although I could do something just in the spirit of the event, I knew it would be quite overshadowed by the greater talents on this board. I don’t have a huge ego but I have some. So, my first reaction was, this isn’t a competition I can really enter.

But, I have been learning to think outside the box. What are my interests? Where do my talents fall? The answer came quickly. Folkdance. I have participated in a variety of British Isles folkdancing for 20 years, have taught dance for 5 or 6, and have written a dance or two. (My favorite was one done in commemoration of the year 2001 called, “Awry in the Sky or Hal Says Goodbye” to the tune of Daisy, Daisy...)

So, here is my contribution to the Hobbit Competition. I am pretty sure it breaks multiple rules. That is for you to decide. I can’t draw. I can’t write tunes. The essay subject didn’t speak to me. I dance and write dances. So here is the folkdance, In the Shire. The tune is traditional. The basic dance figures are traditional. The lyrics and dance arrangement are by me. More info on my resources at the bottom of the post.

THE ENTRY

The Dance: In the Shire
This dance was a simple dance. Simple fit the Hobbit’s approach to life. But simple also meant that children and older folk could dance along with those Hobbits in the exuberant tweens. It also meant a Hobbit that had imbibed a little too much ale could still join in. The figures were often modified to suit the individual or the couple. With a child, an adult might offer a hand rather than an elbow for Verse 3. Hobbits in love might kiss on the lips rather than the more polite air-cheek kiss. Fancy stepping might impress a young maid. Some wore bells on their shoes or around their ankles so that their steps made tinkling noises. Many maids tied ribbons around their wrists, as well.

The basic figures—dancing round in a circle, dancing shoulder to shoulder, hooking elbows and dancing round your partner, and dancing into the center and back—have survived today in both English Country Dance and Morris Dancing. Morris dancing also retains the bells and ribbons, although modern teams attach the ribbons to their legs or arms.

The tune for this dance has also survived time and was collected under the name “The Triumph” by Cecil Sharp for his book, The Compleat Dancing Master. Like many dance tunes, there were lyrics sung either during dancing or alone during parties.

Notes:
Song Lyrics
Underlines mark the syllable that falls on the ‘down’ beat - like any good folk song, scanning can be tricky.
Dashes indicate a run of quick syllables

Dance Notes for each line in fancy brackets { }
Formation: Everyone finds a partner then all hold hands in a big circle. After dancing one verse with this partner, each person moves on to find a new partner to dance the next verse with.
Step: step-hop-step-hop – one step-hop notated as SH

VERSE 1 {everyone in a big circle holding hands}
Morning breakfast then e lev-en-ses
And at lunch we eat some more
With our tea we’d like some crump-ets-please
Filling up corners - not a chore
{for VERSE1: large circle moves clockwise - dancers using 16 SHs}

CHORUS 1 {partners facing each other – some looking clockwise, some looking counterclockwise}
In the Shire {Clap own hands together twice on the down beat}
In the Shire {Shake right hands with your partner twice}
In the Shire we all love to eat {giving a handshake hold with right hands, partners dance past each other and on to the next person using 4 SHs}
Every party {Clap own hands together twice on the down beat}
That we go to {Shake left hands with this new person twice}
Always makes a Hob-bit-feel-replete {giving a handshake hold with left hands, dance past this person on to the next, your new partner, using 4 SHs}

------------------------------------------------

VERSE 2 {new partners (now called ‘partners’) facing each other – some looking clockwise, some looking counterclockwise}
Southern Star or p’rhaps Long bot-tom-Leaf {using 4SHs partners dance toward each other so that right shoulders come near each other}
Pipeweed tamped down in the bowl {using 4SHs each person dances backwards to place}
From a pipe that’s clamped be tween-my-teeth {using 4SHs, partners dance toward each other so that left shoulders come near each other}
Aromatic smoke rings roll {using 4SHs each person dances backwards to place}

CHORUS 2
In the Shire {Clap own hands together twice}
In the Shire {Clap your right hand with partner’s right hand twice}
In the Shire we all love to smoke {giving a handshake hold with right hands, partners dance past each other and on to the next person using 4 SHs}
Nothing gives us {Clap own hands together twice}
Greater pleasure {Clap your left hand with this person’s left hand twice}
Than to set and puff-amongst-the folk {giving a handshake hold with left hands, dance past this person on to the next, your new partner, using 4 Shs}

VERSE 3 {new partners (now called ‘partners’) facing each other – some looking clockwise, some looking counterclockwise}
Violets, Pansies, Roses, Mar-i-golds
Good tilled earth and planted seed. {using 8 SHs, partners hook right elbows and dance around each other}
The finest mushrooms ‘round, or so-we’re-told
Share a basket without greed {using 8 SHs, partners hook left elbows and dance around each other}

CHORUS 3
In the Shire {Clap own hands together twice}
In the Shire {Partners kiss right cheek twice}
In the Shire we garden with delight {giving a handshake hold with right hands, partners dance past each other and on to the next person using 4 SHs}
Every Hobbit {Clap own hands together twice}
Loves to hear that {kiss left cheek with this person twice}
Someone thinks his Garden’s looking bright {giving a handshake hold with left hands, dance past this person on to the next, your new partner. End with all in a big circle as in the beginning -- 4 SHs}

VERSE 4 {everyone in a big circle, holding hands}
Laughing, singing, dancing, hap-py-times. {Using 4SHs, everyone dances into the center of the circle}
In peace and quiet, our hearts lie. {Using 4SHs, everyone dances back from the center into the larger circle}
We might tell tales or make some merr-y-rhymes.
But from adventure we will shy. {Using 8 SHs, everyone dances into the center and back}

FINALE CHORUS {Everyone swing their new partners*}
Elves and Dragons they’re for big-ger-folk
Cabb-a-ges-and taters suit-a-Hob-bit well
No need fixin’ a thing that is-n’t-broke
In the Shire, for ev-er-we-will dwell

{swing means to take hold of your partner and twirl around in whatever manner pleases you until you are delightfully dizzy.}

Resources:
The dance: circle, side, arm, date from the first published English Country Dances by John Playford in 1651. Kissing was very popular at that time. Cecil Sharpe took all the kissing out in early 1900's when he collected dances and tunes. Although the circle/side/arm configuration was common, especially in the 17th Century, the chorus part was what delineated one dance from another. I have drawn from the tradition of circle/side/arm... and the use of clapping and kissing. But the dance is original to me. It is - in to modern sensibilities - insanely easy. But it suits the theme, I think, to keep it so.

Step hops were common, especially for certain areas of the England. Although bells and ribbons are used by Morris Dancers, their use here is inspired more from writings in the LOTR than real history.

The tune: “The Triumph” is tradtional and versions are utilized for English Country Dance, Morris Dancing and Scottish Country Dance. I used the melody as heard on the recording, “The Compleat Dancing Master” by John Kirkpatrick & Ashley Hutchings. Because I had no way of conveying the melody other than through the use of this song. I uploaded an mp3 of two times through the verse and chorus to my site. CLICK HERE They are singing their own words which you will have to ignore. But the melody is strong and simple so I think you’ll get the idea.

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 25 2009, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 40 (5673 views)
Shortcut
I have a few [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the painting I did of Minas Tirith, I'm sure many of you have seen it.

Here's one of Fangorn, I had lot's of fun with the green paint!

And here is the one of Eowyn I did, fairly recently.

Ta da!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 25 2009, 8:21pm

Post #9 of 40 (5669 views)
Shortcut
Purely for the "Memory lane" factor [In reply to] Can't Post

Not due to any creative talents (I do have some stashed away somewhere, though I rarely get the chance to bring them out).

Below is the first piece of Fan Art posted on this board, hastily (yeah, obvious, I know Laugh) dabbled together in Powerpoint using the drawing tools, just to have a first piece of *cough* artwork here when the new boards went live. Thankfully (for all of us), many amazing artists, poets and writers have posted here since. Speaking for TORn, we're honored to have all of them.

Thanks for the great comments and great thread, Ginger. Smile

"Gollum Claims the Ring" -- by Altaira

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

cloudland
Bree

Apr 25 2009, 8:45pm

Post #10 of 40 (5636 views)
Shortcut
Lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn you've created. She has a quiet beauty.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 9:09pm

Post #11 of 40 (5671 views)
Shortcut
I've only created a few pieces of fan art over the years [In reply to] Can't Post

Two paintings:

You can find the full sized images and a few more sketches here: http://smg.photobucket.com/...ms/v161/Diannew/Art/

And my Eowyn costume:

Which you can find out more about here: http://www.geocities.com/...geek/green_gown.html

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for April

WonderBroad
Lorien

Apr 25 2009, 9:18pm

Post #12 of 40 (5659 views)
Shortcut
One of my favs [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of my favorites--from a very long time ago!

Thingol and Melian Mourn the Loss of Luthien

The size restrictions to post here are a pain, because it makes the details of this piece pretty much impossible to see. The original of this is much larger!

cloudland
Bree

Apr 25 2009, 9:21pm

Post #13 of 40 (5651 views)
Shortcut
would it be possible [In reply to] Can't Post

to attach a larger version here? Although the image is small I can see the anguish in their faces. It's a very moving piece.

cloudland
Bree

Apr 25 2009, 9:22pm

Post #14 of 40 (5666 views)
Shortcut
the gown [In reply to] Can't Post

is stunning!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 9:43pm

Post #15 of 40 (5683 views)
Shortcut
I never post serious work, so how 'bout a "fun" mathom instead? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mithril mail-sleeve" T-shirt -- made possible by the wonder that is flexible fabric glue.
Worn separately and as part of the infamous Nerdhelm ensemble. =)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Apr 25 2009, 9:45pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 10:06pm

Post #16 of 40 (5646 views)
Shortcut
That is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter and I just listened to the audio and sang your words along with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

WonderBroad
Lorien

Apr 25 2009, 11:53pm

Post #17 of 40 (5637 views)
Shortcut
You can see it bigger here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to attach a larger version here? Although the image is small I can see the anguish in their faces. It's a very moving piece.

I almost forgot about this--I went back to the page here where I originally posted it--back when the art posting rules were different.

Here it is, larger:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed;

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 12:00am

Post #18 of 40 (5653 views)
Shortcut
vestiges and echoes [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't draw -- like, seriously, not at all -- so I take photographs. For the last few years I've been quietly watching for echoes of Middle Earth around me. Not just willows overhanging banks (though I've always loved those!), but everything -- halls of Gondor, western natural harbours, barren lands ... I've never gotten near the New Zealand landscapes that stand in in the films, but I've found echoes in various parts of Canada and, last year, in Sicily. Most of them I've submitted here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/middle_earth/pool/61361160@N00/

Today I like this one best (with gratitude to my daughter for her role in it):

yourself and nameless

(photo page here)

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 12:03am

Post #19 of 40 (5621 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is just stunning. What are the original dimensions?

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 12:06am

Post #20 of 40 (5668 views)
Shortcut
long-expected party [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the formality of the design of that last piece, the way everything has its own space. I don't get the sense that it's a widely validated kind of design now -- there sure isn't a lot of it around when I'm in galleries -- but it's *right*. It must be because it has something in common with a lot of traditional folk art, and with media like quilting. It suits a Hobbit party.

Lúthien Rising

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 12:14am

Post #21 of 40 (5651 views)
Shortcut
Intertesting observation [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're basically seeing an untrained artist at work. Combined with a total lack of knowledge on how to use the materials.

But I do like folk art - avidly so in objects, rather than paintings. But, I'm fascinated with folk paintings as well. And my work tends to have an orderly look to it.

That is just about the only piece I've drawn that wasn't for a class assignment. I say that I've lived a creative life.. making things that were inspired by the materials I had. But I have never really drawn. About the only thing that motivates me to want to draw are natural items. Perhaps I'll take a botanical drawing class at some point.

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 1:00am

Post #22 of 40 (5637 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Suebe2b
Bree

Apr 26 2009, 1:34am

Post #23 of 40 (5643 views)
Shortcut
Great picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the depth you got in that shot! road goes ever on, right?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 3:06am

Post #24 of 40 (5634 views)
Shortcut
Your paintings are spectacular [In reply to] Can't Post

What medium do you use, and how large are the originals?

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 3:42am

Post #25 of 40 (5759 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I fell in love with the costumes of LOTR and learned to sew about 6 years ago because of them. I've been making costume replicas ever since! Sadly, I've outgrown the Eowyn dress by 10 pounds, or so, but I look forward to wearing it again sometime in the future. That's one of the advantages of paint and paper. Crazy

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for April

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.